• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Well i couldnt wait any longer to get a little closer to the start of the season .

This coming saturday couldnt be in any starker contrast to the start of the previous campaign.

This time last year to say that a dark cloud was forming would have been a huge understatement.

We had lost arguably our best manager in the last 20 odd seasons , who happened to be one of southends favourite sons.

We had vultures circling in the shape of creditors and particularly HRMC , who bizzarly have shown there ugly head again in the last few days.

There were extreme doom mongers who were happy to call for the club to fold and form some kind of AFC southend.

We also signed a real mixbag of players some of which turned out to be complete dross and others have gone on to become firm fans favourites .

What a strange pre-season it was to find that players were unknown to us .

Also with tilly having been placed on gardening leave we employed the much travelled Paul Sturrock . His employment was met with a high level of derision, not just because most were still bitter at tilly's departure but most thought he was past it or that health issues may cloud his ability.

I am pleased to say that i was one of those people and have been completely proved wrong.

Not only has paul sturrock done an amazing job in sometimes difficult circumstances , but he has brought the club the players and the supporters back together again .

In complete contrast to last season, just a handful of players were signed and those that were signed should do a very good job.

The likes of Neil harris jemal johnson and liam dickinson are cracking signings at league two level and im sure that Paul Sturrock and Graham Coughlin will be working hard to get the maximum out of the squad.

Most pleasing is that the likes of Anthony Grant ,Bilel Moshni and Kane Ferdinand are still with the squad when most teams at this level would have been hard pushed to hold on to these kind of players whom we have had bids and enquiry's for.

So this coming saturday will mark a huge turn around at the club and although there are still some so called supporters who refuse to come to hall i think that numbers and performances and final league position will be somewhat higher than last years mediocre season.

I dont know much about Hereford , but most outside the town will be putting them down as potential relegation favourites along with the usual suspects Macclesfield Barnet and accrington etc.

Its too early to know for sure but in a stronger league , but with a stronger side blues should be looking for a big improvement on last seasons finish .

One thing is for sure if we are to achieve anything this season then teams such as hereford at home need to be dispatched in a proffessional manner.

Please post your predictions etc .

Im going for Blues to win 2-0 infront of 5800 odd.

Cmon you blues

Good post Tommy.

Yes, HMRC have re-surfaced again. But at least we have the benji's to pay it this time around. 12 months ago, this would probably have compounded and we would of found ourselves up in the High Court again. This is the first sniff of issues since last summer, so for me that is a positive. Especially as we have now made it through the most difficult period cash flow wise. I think we will be ok from now on...allowing us all to concentrate on the matters on the pitch.

We have a good squad. Nobody can argue that. Probably one of the best in League 2 in fact. And we have slipped somewhat under the radar I feel. Great, and long may that continue!

If the new signings, plus those retained from last season, can perform to their full potential, we will have a good season. As you say and no disrespect to Hereford, but teams like that need to be put to bed if we are going to challenge this year. But, it's the first game. The month's of August and Sept usually throw up some weird results and unlikely runs. So I won't be losing too much sleep if Hereford cause a bit of an upset on Saturday. Although it will **** me off for the rest of the weekend!

We like playing Hereford (They must be up there with Northampton) we haven't lost to them since 1986, in a 2-1 result at Edgar Street. But, we haven't lost at home to Hereford (in the league) since 1976 when we lost 3-1. We average around 2 goals a game against them and I think I am right in saying, their consolation goal at Edgar St last season (1-3) was the only time they have scored against us in the last 8 games. All of which, we have won! :stunned:

That's jinxed it then :unsure:

I would expect the same line-up as we started v Norwich:

.....................Morris

Clohessy.. Phillips ..Barker ..Prosser

JJ ........Grant....... .Kalala ........Hall

.............Harris.. Mohsni

Result:
1-0 (Harris)
Att: 5,676

I'd love to see us smash a team on the opening day and make a real statement.

I'll go ridiculously optimistic and go 5-1. Hereford to take the lead early doors and then get steamrolled.

I sense Mohsni will score, despite my misgivings - so I'll say Mohsni 2, Harris 2 and Prosser.

(Get your money on a 0-0) :dim:

Well last year it felt like like walking on eggshells expecting that band of mercineries HMRC to dig the knife in anytime. This season I think we are going to get promoted. Your right we need to beat teams like Hereford who will come here and defend and hope for a break away goal so it is very important for us to go for the throat and score very early and then go all the way and stuff them so my prediction is 4 - 0

I'd love to see us smash a team on the opening day and make a real statement.

I'll go ridiculously optimistic and go 5-1. Hereford to take the lead early doors and then get steamrolled.

I sense Mohsni will score, despite my misgivings - so I'll say Mohsni 2, Harris 2 and Prosser.

(Get your money on a 0-0) :dim:

A bit like this real statement from Gillingham? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8186090.stm

They got relegated. Swindon got to the play-off final.

I will wheel this bit of info out Saturday night if things don't go to plan for us!

Think it will be a nervy 2-1, Harris and Hall putting us 2-0 up before we give away a daft penalty and end up hanging on for dear life.

Attendance 4,567

Think it will be a nervy 2-1, Harris and Hall putting us 2-0 up before we give away a daft penalty and end up hanging on for dear life.
Attendance 4,567

Ha ha finally a realistic post. I'm loving the pre-season optimism but this sorta game is what Southend do. Always do things the hard way.

Chomping at the bit now, got my ticket through the post yesterday, can't wait for Saturday. Hoping to get there early and get the new home shirt.

3-0 to the Blues, Harris, Grant and Hall to score.

Att: 5,695

They were abysmal in both games last season and haven't made many signings. Can talk about the first game not being that important but sorry I would be very worried if we can't dispatch a team likely to go down.

3-0 win bringing unrivalled optimism on the Zone, and even Wiggy making a positive statement! :smile:

Harris, Hall and Grant to score.

Back