• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Pre-Season Friendlies 2023-24

Jai

President ⭐
This might be hopelessly optimistic given we are unlikely to still exist, but any whispers of any pre season matches? Not expecting anything exotic but this is a slow time of year and I am already bored.

Have we got any friendlies already committed as part of the deals to sign players last season? Like we did with Kings Langley / Jack Wood?

Reliably informed they're not even talking of friendlies yet. But it would make a nice change not to play teams like Spam reserves, Concord, etc. But then when we get a Premiership club nowadays, you don't know what sort of team they will send down until the day, or at best a day before. They see it as a chance to give some of their rising stars a competitive game in front of a crowd.

This is one of the many issues Kev and Co. have.

How on earth can they prepare for friendlies when they don't even have a clue what sort of squad and ability they will have?

You need to have a good idea where your squad is, so you can select opposition correctly based on playing style, ability and many other things. If he's left with a bunch of kids, alongside a few decent players then you'd select a lot lower opposition than say if you had the current squad plus half dozen strong additions that a new owner may afford...

It's a mess and needs to be resolved sharpish.

Having sent Jon Benton and Oli Coker on loan to Aveley in recent seasons, with their promotion to National League South, I wouldn’t be surprised if we might get a trip to Parkside (provided their ground improvements are completed in time).

Would be nice if we sent a slightly stronger side to Concord Rangers this pre-season after letting them down at short notice last year, although their relegation could affect that.

Aveley, Great Wakering, Billericay, Concord, Canvey, Chelmsford, PL XI

We could play HRMC again, we always win against them, but I have a horrible feeling this winning streak may be coming to an end.

I do despair when people keep referring (however tongue in cheek) to our appearances at the HMRC hearings as victories. Having to pay the money owed plus costs and penalties (not that sort) doesn't seem much like a victory to me.

I do despair when people keep referring (however tongue in cheek) to our appearances at the HMRC hearings as victories. Having to pay the money owed plus costs and penalties (not that sort) doesn't seem much like a victory to me.
People are only joshing.

Back