• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
Colchester United and Southend United set to make pre-season visits to face Braintree

Braintree Town have announced more exciting news after unveiling their new manager with two pre-season friendlies against Essex Football League sides.

More...

Blues boss Brown relishing pre-season clash with Brighton

SOUTHEND United are to face Premier League newcomers Brighton & Hove Albion in a pre-season friendly in July.

More...

A thread for 'Friendly' games announced so far and associated posts.

Quick couple of questions to fellow zoners, that have a better memory than mine:

1. I'm sure we went abroad to Spain at pre season last year (but no mention of playing friendly games against small teams around Malaga on the OS).... see here: http://www.southendunited.co.uk/fixtures-results/fixtures-list/

We did play against some Spanish sides right? or am I imagining it?

2. So according to the OS, we played 5 friendlies between 9th July 2016 and the 30th July 2016 (was this below average of what we normally have played in previous seasons)?

3. So we currently have 4 friendlies arranged, but using the same dates this year, as we did last year, we could possibly have 7 friendlies before the season begins on the 5th August (8th July to 29th July). Would 7 friendly matches be excessive for a pre season for our club historically?

Quick couple of questions to fellow zoners, that have a better memory than mine:

1. I'm sure we went abroad to Spain at pre season last year (but no mention of playing friendly games against small teams around Malaga on the OS).... see here: http://www.southendunited.co.uk/fixtures-results/fixtures-list/

We did play against some Spanish sides right? or am I imagining it?
Yes, we played an "unofficial friendly" against CD Rincon from the Spanish regional fourth division, but it was played at their training ground. We won 6-1.

2. So according to the OS, we played 5 friendlies between 9th July 2016 and the 30th July 2016 (was this below average of what we normally have played in previous seasons)?
More or less average I think, though can't find any data anywhere. Can vary depending on the sides we play, e.g. Usually less if we play a few higher ranked teams and more if we play more non-league teams.

3. So we currently have 4 friendlies arranged, but using the same dates this year, as we did last year, we could possibly have 7 friendlies before the season begins on the 5th August (8th July to 29th July). Would 7 friendly matches be excessive for a pre season for our club historically?
Would expect that like last year, some of the games against the likes of Great Wakering will change to under 21s games, so we will only see 4/5/6 first team games with a couple of under 21s games against local non league opposition. Some might also be behind closed doors. 7 wouldn't be ridiculous but it would be on the higher side.

Yes - with games against low(ish) league teams, there may be a different XI for each half .......... so you could say that is only half a game for the players .......... and there will be trialists in amongst the squad as well.

The club have announced that tickets for the friendly against Brighton will go on sale next Monday (12th June).

Prices and details as follows:

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2017/june/brighton-tickets-on-sale/

Also, as aside note, they have also confirmed that the T20 cricket match date has been confirmed as the day after the Brighton game, Wednesday 26th July at Southchurch Park at 5.30pm

Not that it makes a difference, but on sale date actually 12th July!. Reasonably priced, no problem with those.

Not that it makes a difference, but on sale date actually 12th July!. Reasonably priced, no problem with those.

Is suspect it could actually be 12th June.

Maybe a new website but the same dismal lack of attention to detail by whichever work experience bod we let enter the information - the date in the heading differs from those in the body of the article.

Anyone know when the tickets for the away games will be available or are they generally pay on the gate?

Particularly interested in the Stortford game as I have a mate who lives up that way and he owes me a curry !

Anyone know when the tickets for the away games will be available or are they generally pay on the gate?

Particularly interested in the Stortford game as I have a mate who lives up that way and he owes me a curry !
Pay on the gate, pretty unlikely any will be sold out even at the smallest clubs we'll face.

Bishop's Stortford's decent Woodside Park ground has a capacity of 4,525. I think you'll be okay without a ticket.

It should read June 12th. and as Mick said, new website but the same old incompetence from the club.

On anther note, I would have thought the hospitality package for a pre season friendly match would have been cheaper than the £36 (including vat) for a microwaved lasagne and a bit of garlic bread. That's quite a bit of a mark up considering whats on offer.

Back