• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre season friendlies

The SZ narrative was first that it was all Bond being useless. Then he went and when things didn't really get any better and apparently it was Cox's fault all along. Then Cox went and when things didn't get much better it was all Sol's fault. Then Sol went and it was all Ron's fault etc.

There seems to be a desire to scapegoat individuals and overplay their malign influence so as to give an easy solution of just removing them and everything will be ok again.

The SZ narrative was first that it was all Bond being useless. Then he went and when things didn't really get any better and apparently it was Cox's fault all along. Then Cox went and when things didn't get much better it was all Sol's fault. Then Sol went and it was all Ron's fault etc.

There seems to be a desire to scapegoat individuals and overplay their malign influence so as to give an easy solution of just removing them and everything will be ok again.

You’ve got a point, aimlessly scapegoating individuals never helps anyone really. Think of poor Matty Harrold, who to this day still suffers from the abuse he received here. Mad really, considering his only real crime was that he wasn’t Freddy Eastwood.

But let’s not forget that for every Matty Harrold who receives downright cowardly, scapegoating abuse for no good reason, there are those players/managers whose behaviour is justifiably scrutinised. There’s a fine line between scapegoating & scrutiny. For example, Cox was a major issue within the squad. But he wasn’t the only issue.

Clearly removing these individuals from the situation isn’t the only remedy, because as with all wounds, they take time to heal.

Sadly for us, we’ve had far too many issues over the last few years, that have all seemingly occurred at the same time, or ran consecutively.... meaning those wounds have failed to heal.

The cliques, the culture, the attitudes, the injury crisis, the managers, the spending. They were all conducive to our current plight. Some may carry more weight than others, but they’ve all added to our demise nonetheless.

I’m still not sure MM can save us, but the initial signs are positive, so we’ve got a ray of hope at least.

You’ve got a point, aimlessly scapegoating individuals never helps anyone really. Think of poor Matty Harrold, who to this day still suffers from the abuse he received here. Mad really, considering his only real crime was that he wasn’t Freddy Eastwood.

But let’s not forget that for every Matty Harrold who receives downright cowardly, scapegoating abuse for no good reason, there are those players/managers whose behaviour is justifiably scrutinised. There’s a fine line between scapegoating & scrutiny. For example, Cox was a major issue within the squad. But he wasn’t the only issue.

Clearly removing these individuals from the situation isn’t the only remedy, because as with all wounds, they take time to heal.

Sadly for us, we’ve had far too many issues over the last few years, that have all seemingly occurred at the same time, or ran consecutively.... meaning those wounds have failed to heal.

The cliques, the culture, the attitudes, the injury crisis, the managers, the spending. They were all conducive to our current plight. Some may carry more weight than others, but they’ve all added to our demise nonetheless.

I’m still not sure MM can save us, but the initial signs are positive, so we’ve got a ray of hope at least.

I saw Matt Harrold score a hat trick in a pre season friendly against Witham.

Reactions: GBJ
Matt Harrold has had a good lower league career. Yes, Championship level was possibly beyond him, but other than looking like Prince Harry, (which theses days is a very big issue), he would do a very good job for us. (Not advocating signing him btw)

Now I think fans are well aware of the challenge facing MM and will give him time.

Oh how I wish that were true, but talk of “we’re a big club in Lg2, we should be pushing for promotion”, already began a few weeks ago on this forum.

If we start losing games, those people will be the first to turn on him.

I saw Matt Harrold score a hat trick in a pre season friendly against Witham.

You should take that on Dickinson’s Real Deal. Might get a couple of quid for such a rare artefact.

Thought that wasn't possible if we're talking about a Saturday game.
They relaxed that rule for the Prem and EFL during this lockdown, I imagine that's one of the rulings they'll mysteriously not change back, the other being the number of subs and maybe even the water break....

They relaxed that rule for the Prem and EFL during this lockdown, I imagine that's one of the rulings they'll mysteriously not change back, the other being the number of subs and maybe even the water break....

Not for a game being shown on Sky they didn't.I know because I saw all of Fulham's other games in the Championship playoffs live on my PC.

Matt Harrold has had a good lower league career. Yes, Championship level was possibly beyond him, but other than looking like Prince Harry, (which theses days is a very big issue), he would do a very good job for us. (Not advocating signing him btw)
Harrold was just one of those young players who never had that bit of luck when starting his career with us.Always gave 100% ...... the game where he got a broken nose and then unfairly sent off sums it up .Local lad who would have loved to have been success here .

The Premier League and I assume the EFL as well have already voted against more than 3 subs being allowed next season.

I'm still not that comfortable that there is more than 1 sub allowed.

I wish "they" would stop tinkering with the rules - although rush goalie would be good.

Well, if it wasn't being televised elsewhere I think the point still stands?

Sounds like you've got a Sky Sports subscription to me.Personally I don't want anything to do with Murdoch's evil empire (though I'd gladly pay for an individual match pass, which they won't allow me to do as an overseas viewer).

Back