• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-season optimism

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
Well! That seems to have died with a resounding "Phutt!". The excitement of new signings, Chris Powell's first season start - all that anticipation of good things. Not quite going to plan.

Honestly looking at this thread most people were hoping for the playoffs rather than expecting them:

https://www.shrimperzone.com/forums...ess-this-season-and-player-predictions.96801/

I think we just let the 'most shots in the first three matches and least shots conceded' statistic get us overexcited. I'm still hopeful for the playoffs (I don't think we're a bottom half side as the table currently suggests) but I'm not going to complain if we fall just short, we actually have young players this year so there's something to build on no matter what happens.

I always felt our squad, on paper, wouldn't be as good this season as last. Though CP managed to bring in a couple of good signings, we are still behind a lot of teams in the division and IMO this won't change until we are out of Roots Hall.

However, saying that, we haven't exactly been battered by anyone and if we can iron out the issues at the back (starting with splitting up the JW and MT partnership) then we could be pushing for a play-off place

Think everyone misjudged how long the new manager effect would last and overestimated the impact CP had outside of the new manager effect

Last edited:
Early days kiddies. A minor blip before we top the league and take Arsenal to a penalty shoot out in the FA Cup QFs.

What's your idea of an FA cup run Yorkie, getting through to round 2?

That would be a start!

The third round is a realistic and achievable target and then it comes down to the draw.

I'll be bitterly disappointed if we get knocked out by a team like Yeovil or Chester again.

Although every season I go in hoping for another title or playoffs at the very least, I have changed my view quite quickly. Despite poor results in the league, the amount of young players coming to the forefront of our plans who are making an impact is really exciting. If we could stay up this year, hit top ten the following season, but still have the likes of Hutchinson, yearwood, klass, Smith, Elvis etc Then I reckon we would be pretty strong and have strong foundations to last in the championship. Powell needs to be given time to build long term and patience.

I still think we'll end up in the top half. As disappointed as I've been to lose the last 2 home games, It's got to be said that injuries and suspensions have definitely hampered CP.

If we can get Dru fit and firing, Plus Dieng and Mantom back to 100%, we'll have some real options in Midfield. Bunn looks a decent signing too.

I'd like to see Moore given a chance at the back and Mccoulsky up front too, as both look promising (albeit only on loan!). Plus we've got Lennon to come back to bolster the defensive options.

Overall I'd be satisfied with a top half finish, and ecstatic if we made the play offs. An FA cup run would be nice too, but I won't hold my breath!

I always hope each season will see us progress. That doesn't a;ways mean a higher finishing position. The younger players that Chris has brought to the Club, together with the likes of Elvis, Dru and Klass give me a lot of hope for the future.

I am a little bit disappointed. I always thought Chris Powell's philosophy was not to Bring players in If they were not better than what we already had.
Playing White and Turner as centre halves is always risky as neither have pace and I thought by bringing the young lad in from Bristol city he would fill in, probably with Turner. It was reported that he cost Bristol city £1.2 million and yet although Conceding stupid goals and appearing to lack pace in the centre he has not yet had a chance.
In addition, McCoulsky Scores goals for fun In non-important games and yet is never chosen to start and even Robinson is brought on as a sub before him.
I understand we have had injuries but why bring in players that cannot offer anything better than what we already have.
The disappointment is that we do not appear to have addressed the problem of conceding goals from set pieces and if I were Bristol City I would be extremely disappointed that loan players are not being used.

I think it's a little unfair to point fingers at Theo and ask why he's coming on, his record throughout his career is roughly a goal every 4 and that's where he's at this season. Tbh he is a proven goal scorer at this level and causes defences problems.

There may also be something in training that makes CP bring him on first, maybe Mcgoalsky is lacking something

Cannot understand the injuries and suspensions are costing us, it’s part of football and happens to all clubs
Hopefully a win v Shrews will be a kick start, but if not I wonder if Ronnie will be looking for that passion in the eyes .....

Back