• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
With the Football League season nearly upon us, it's prediction time for lots of newspapers, blogs, etc. Let's have this thread for a one-stop shop for all of the predictions of how Southend will feature this year. Here's a starter...

THE TIMES

Strengths - Settled squad
Weaknesses - A lack of finances
Best-case/Worst-case scenario - They may not have enough depth to sustain a challenge
Prediction - 14th

With the Football League season nearly upon us, it's prediction time for lots of newspapers, blogs, etc. Let's have this thread for a one-stop shop for all of the predictions of how Southend will feature this year. Here's a starter...

THE TIMES

Strengths - Settled squad
Weaknesses - A lack of finances
Best-case/Worst-case scenario - They may not have enough depth to sustain a challenge
Prediction - 14th

Do they actually do their research?

"May not have enough depth to sustain a challenge?!" We have 30 players FFS and there will be a pretty talented bench this season.

14th, do me a favour!

"May not have enough depth to sustain a challenge?!" We have 30 players FFS and there will be a pretty talented bench this season.

14th, do me a favour!

You should see the crap The Independent have doled out. This to cover 48 teams!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...stant-guide-to-the-lower-leagues-2329136.html

Maybe they'll write something more extensive later in the week, but still.

The Racing Post's pre-season guide comes out on Thursday and that usually makes interesting reading. The tipsters there generally back their selections with their own money so do a bit more research than average.

In terms of the bookies - and there are big variations, with Southend as big as 25/1 with Coral and as low as 16/1 with SkyBet - generally speaking we are 12th in the betting.

14th, do me a favour!

If the likes of Woodyard, Crawford and Asante are playing regularly do you really think we'll sustain a challenge?

A more than fair comment IMO, although I'm hoping that our starting XI remain fit and we can finish a lot higher than 14th.

The only prediction page that I rely on has Southend winning the division with 138 points. This prediction page was written by R Shackleford esq and also features Col Ewe, Borient and Wet Sham being hit by three separate meteorites.

The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/...11/aug/01/league-two-2011-12-preview-bloggers

And for those who don't fancy clicking on the link, here is the Southend bit

Southend United

This time last year, Southend United were in freefall. With just five players and a new management team, fans were praying for 22nd place. This time around, the Shrimpers start in much better shape. Wily manager Paul Sturrock has added to his settled squad with the arrival of Millwall's record goalscorer, and lifelong Shrimper, Neil Harris. He is joined by the imposing Alessane N'Diaye from Crystal Palace and winger Jemal Johnson, who returns to English football after a stint in Bulgaria with Lokomotiv Sofia, in addition to Ryan Leonard, Jean-Paul Kalala and Liam Dickinson.

Barry Corr, with 21 goals in 2010-11, starts the campaign injured, leaving Sturrock wanting another striker. With Ryan Hall, who topped League Two's assists chart with 16 in his first season in the Football League, and Jemal Johnson flanking Harris up front, the Roots Hall faithful expect plenty of goals in the upcoming season – particularly if cult hero centre-back Bilel Mohsni, who epitomises eccentricity by his possession of the ability to thrill and frighten in the same movement, continues his chaotic influence at both ends of the pitch. If the Shrimpers can continue their impressive progression, a desperately-desired return to English football's third tier may just be on the horizon.

Lew Carey, Another Northern Sky

The league 2 section makes for an interesting & informative read. Oxford have risen in my estimations (Smalley & Pittman in aswell as Leven), but I like the way we seem to be flying under the radar - most of those asked seem to mention Crawley, Bristol R, Shrewsbury, Oxford, Swindon & Port Vale as ones to watch. Only Plymouth seem to rate us.

The only prediction page that I rely on has Southend winning the division with 138 points. This prediction page was written by R Shackleford esq and also features Col Ewe, Borient and Wet Sham being hit by three separate meteorites.

I'm reading that publication all day long. :thumbsup: I imagine it has Corr as top scorer for the division with a total that would humble Harold Halse.

Makes very interesting reading, I too like the way that we are under the radar.

Has there ever been a more hated League 2 club than Crawley?

I so hope they crash and burn spectacularly and Evans gets sacked, arrested or both!

Let us never forget his seedy past at Boston

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/league-two/3040461/Seedy-truth-that-lies-behind-the-shaming-of-a-football-club.html

And apparently have 3 to go up and 3 to go down?

I tweeted them with; You have three relegation spots in League Two and three playoff spots. It should be 2 and 4.

Reply was; Good spot. After a chat with the team, it appears we let the template from further up the FL get away from us. Apologies.

Back