• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Premier$hite All Star game

steveh1510

Life President
What would your 2 teams be (A + B) for a Premier$hite all-star XI game?

A

Cech
Carr
Ashley Cole
Terry
Ferdinand
Gerrard
Vieira
Robben
Wright Phillips
Henry
Van Nistelrooy

B

Given
G Neville
Bridge
Carvalho
Campbell
Zenden
Lampard
Duff
Pires
Rooney
Defoe

you really are bored. Ok, my turn

Niemi
Neville
Weir
Ferdinand
Samuel
Duff
Carsley
Keane
Downing
Van Nistelrooy
Johnson

Cech
Bridge
Campbell
King
O'Shea
Giggs
Lampard
Okocha
Robben
Henry
Hasselbaink

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 16 2004,15:08)]you really are bored.
sad.gif

Dunno why you're concentrating on the Premership...

rock.gif

Anyhow, I've picked a Southend XI v. Shrimpers XI - and it's based on a player's performance in his best season for us... who would win out of these two?

Sansome Royce
Austin T. Bentley
N. Jones Powell
Clark Prior
Cusack Moody
Gower Ansah
Butler Pountney
Marsh R. Whelan
P. Taylor Otto
Cadette Collymore
Best Angell

rock.gif
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 16 2004,15:56)]Dunno why you're concentrating on the Premership...

rock.gif

Anyhow, I've picked a Southend XI v. Shrimpers XI - and it's based on a player's performance in his best season for us... who would win out of these two?

Sansome                    Royce
Austin                        T. Bentley
N. Jones                     Powell
Clark                          Prior
Cusack                       Moody
Gower                        Ansah
Butler                        Pountney
Marsh                        R. Whelan
P. Taylor                    Otto
Cadette                     Collymore
Best                          Angell

rock.gif
cool.gif
the team with Moody and Powell will rip the other team apart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 16 2004,15:56)]Dunno why you're concentrating on the Premership...

rock.gif

N. Jones                     Powell
Cadette                     Collymore

rock.gif
cool.gif
Because this is 'all leagues chat' a 'Southend XI' should be in 'ex-shrimpers'.

Fecking moderators that don't know what they are doing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 16 2004,16:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 16 2004,16:02)]the team with Moody and Powell will rip the other team apart.
Really?  On what basis do you make that outrageous statement...?

tounge.gif

rock.gif
Man for man.

Sansome Royce
Austin T. Bentley
N. Jones Powell
Clark Prior
Cusack Moody
Gower Ansah
Butler Pountney
Marsh R. Whelan
P. Taylor Otto
Cadette Collymore
Best Angell

Otto, Collymore and Whelan have the ability to unlock defences. Of the other team, only Gower, in all honesty has the slightest natural ability. Look at the forwards: Best and Cadette are great strikers but not in the same league as Stan. The midfield is hard graft versus talent and pace. Ansah at his peak will score goals as well, something Marsh, Butler and Taylor didn't do much of.

And in defence, Prior Moody and Bentley would easily snuff out Cadette and Best. Whereas Stan and Otto would easily run rings round Cusack and Austin. (Not sure about Clark)

But the main reason is the Powell/Otto partnership. The other team has nothing like it.

A:

Cech

Bridge
G Neville
Terry
Ferdinand

Robben
Ronaldo
Lampard
Gerrard

Van Nistelrooy
Henry

B:

Niemi

Cole
G Johnson
Campbell
Hyypia

Duff
L Garcia
Vieira
Scholes

Reyes
A Johnson

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 16 2004,16:23)]Otto, Collymore and Whelan have the ability to unlock defences. Of the other team, only Gower, in all honesty has the slightest natural ability. Look at the forwards: Best and Cadette are great strikers but not in the same league as Stan. The midfield is hard graft versus talent and pace. Ansah at his peak will score goals as well, something Marsh, Butler and Taylor didn't do much of.

And in defence, Prior Moody and Bentley would easily snuff out Cadette and Best. Whereas Stan and Otto would easily run rings round Cusack and Austin. (Not sure about Clark)

But the main reason is the Powell/Otto partnership. The other team has nothing like it.
Was Spud not an unlocker of defences...? He's one of only 4 internationals between the sides, after all...  And, in my mind, Marsh was the player of the sublime through ball, alongside the ultimate midfield ball-winner, Peter Butler.

I do agree that Otto & Powell is a mouthwatering left wing combo - possibly too good for the Southend XI right (although Deano remains, head & shoulders, the best right back we've had - probably ever).

Ok, so let's say we move Chrissy across to the Southend XI - which now has a formidable back 5:

Sansome

Austin   Clark   Cusack   Powell

In the combination between pace & guile on the flanks, and height & hardness in the middle, does it get much better than this?  The team has the better keeper too...

Let's also say that Stan's injured; and is replaced by Ian Benjamin.  

Powell                        N. Jones
Cadette                     Benjamin

Now who wins?

Matt

That would be a score draw, I can see both attacks doing well. Pountney and Whelan is as equal as Marsh and Butler, in my opinion, Pountney would cover Whelan's defensive inadequacies with sheer workrate.

Benjamin/Angell against Cadette/Best is interesting. Benji was very much a good foil player and Angell one for attacking crosses. Otto and Ansah would definitely be able to put a few across. Cadette and Best are more traditional strikers, and I can;t see Gower not being selfish and not giving them much of the ball, and Pountney would negate Marsh's work. So, realistically you're looking at a battle of wingers, and Otto/Ansah just edge Taylor/Gower.

Having said all that, the defence of Powell/Austin would negate that, and Clark could deal with Benji. Taylor against Jones would be no contest- Taylor to win that one and whip some balls across to Best from six yards, I can see that. But I can also see Otto or Whelan with one bit of magic and assisting/scoring. So, a score draw.

Premier$hite XI - A

Petr Cech

Gary Neville John Terry Sol Campbell Ashley Cole

Shaun Wright-Phillips Frank Lampard Steven Gerrard Arjen Robben

Thierry Henry Ruud Van Nistelrooy

B Team

Carlo Cudicini

Glen Johnson Rio Ferdinand Ricardo Carvalho Franck Quedrue

Cristiano Ronaldo Jay-Jay Okocha Scott Parker Stewart Downing

Patrick Kluivert Jimmy Floyd Hasslebaink

Back