• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Premier League 2

Rumours are about of a possible split of the top Championship clubs and the forming a Premiership 2 to protect their financial interests TV money parachute type payments etc.
It was always one of Ron's arguments for the new ground back in the mid 2000s that we ensure we were in the right place position if this came about.
Problem now is we are in the worst possible place if this comes about.
The only thing that makes football exciting is the promotion and relegation battles .The top of the pile are clearly not interested interested in the lower leagues and grass roots football.Having destroyed the FA Cup are we about to see the final destruction of the the football pyramid .

Football was ruined when Sky took control of the game
Greed became the new law, Champions League became the new European league to the few, Check a trade was the only viable day to Wembley for the smaller club , then Premier under 21 became the norm and made it harder

Nothing surprises with a simple game now turned into an uncontrollable monster driven by money

Rumours are about of a possible split of the top Championship clubs and the forming a Premiership 2 to protect their financial interests TV money parachute type payments etc.
It was always one of Ron's arguments for the new ground back in the mid 2000s that we ensure we were in the right place position if this came about.
Problem now is we are in the worst possible place if this comes about.
The only thing that makes football exciting is the promotion and relegation battles .The top of the pile are clearly not interested interested in the lower leagues and grass roots football.Having destroyed the FA Cup are we about to see the final destruction of the the football pyramid .
Judging by what you have said, I take it the plan would be no relegation from / promotion to Prem 2?

Judging by what you have said, I take it the plan would be no relegation from / promotion to Prem 2?
Promotion and relegation would still be there it would just be a change on who governs the second tier, the biggest risk might be the Premier League cutting down on the number of teams, although with a lack of European football in the second tier I don't see why they would.

This isn't a new thing, clubs have just been making noise about it again recently because they aren't happy about the EFL dithering on how to conclude the season. The original reason championship clubs wanted to breakaway to the Premier League is because they felt the EFL did a crap job when negotiating a new TV deal with Sky, feeling that Sky would have paid a lot more than the EFL accepted and also claiming the EFL didn't consult them about the inclusion of all midweek games being on the red button. Some clubs like Leeds also feel that the EFL bends to Sky's fixture rescheduling requests too easily even if it affects fans who can't go to the rescheduled date.

I can see why they are annoyed at the EFL but what I don't understand is why they think the Premier League would treat them any better. With the EFL they are the big names, so they can expect to be treated as a priority, with the Premier League these clubs would be an afterthought so why they expect better treatment from The Premier League I have no idea.

The resolution lays in our hands.

Stop paying ridiculous TV subscriptions to the likes of BT and SKY
It would certainly make a dent but the premier league would still be loaded if Sky and BT stopped paying. About 45% of the TV revenue comes from selling to foreign markets (£4.2 billion for the current 3 year deal compared to the UK's £5 billion deal) and it's estimated 978 million homes globally watched at least one bit of live premier league content last season, there's a reason you see banner ads in the Premier League that aren't written in English.

Promotion and relegation would still be there it would just be a change on who governs the second tier, the biggest risk might be the Premier League cutting down on the number of teams, although with a lack of European football in the second tier I don't see why they would.

This isn't a new thing, clubs have just been making noise about it again recently because they aren't happy about the EFL dithering on how to conclude the season. The original reason championship clubs wanted to breakaway to the Premier League is because they felt the EFL did a crap job when negotiating a new TV deal with Sky, feeling that Sky would have paid a lot more than the EFL accepted and also claiming the EFL didn't consult them about the inclusion of all midweek games being on the red button. Some clubs like Leeds also feel that the EFL bends to Sky's fixture rescheduling requests too easily even if it affects fans who can't go to the rescheduled date.

I can see why they are annoyed at the EFL but what I don't understand is why they think the Premier League would treat them any better. With the EFL they are the big names, so they can expect to be treated as a priority, with the Premier League these clubs would be an afterthought so why they expect better treatment from The Premier League I have no idea.
Pretty much sums up what I was going to say in reply to your first 2 paragraphs.

Everyone is always scrambling to sit at the big table, not realising they'll be out of their depth.

Back