• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Premier League and the EFL

I don’t know if I read it wrong but I just thought this was a competition to take over from the Champions League.

I don’t know if I read it wrong but I just thought this was a competition to take over from the Champions League.

I must admit, I read it a few times and couldn't work out whether it's in reference to replacing the Champions League or npt (it isn't really clear), but I expect that is more likely what this is.

I read it the same as you but with one important difference, the new founders of the new european league cannot get relegated for 20 years, effectively this means that they will play second string teams in the premiership to save their first team for the new european league where there will be untold millions to be earn't.

It will effectively make the premiership about as relevant as the League cup is now, a nice prize to win but not the big trophy that teams really want, if the premiership becomes irrelevant to the big 6 and at most one other club can join them per season it means that the only goal for most premiership teams will be to avoid relegation.

Even if this is just to replace the Champions League it makes no sense to me, it seems like short term profit but long term loss. I don't understand why clubs that have built a sizeable fanbase of glory hunters would want to enter a league where there's a good chance they'll finish in the bottom half of the table, half these teams are going to go from being big names to second tier sides if this happens. United especially have been crap (by their standards) for years and would look dire if they played the big teams every match, entering this thing would massively damage their reputation and the fairweather fans are going to get sick of seeing their sides lose consistently.

Even if this is just to replace the Champions League it makes no sense to me, it seems like short term profit but long term loss. I don't understand why clubs that have built a sizeable fanbase of glory hunters would want to enter a league where there's a good chance they'll finish in the bottom half of the table, half these teams are going to go from being big names to second tier sides if this happens. United especially have been crap (by their standards) for years and would look dire if they played the big teams every match, entering this thing would massively damage their reputation and the fairweather fans are going to get sick of seeing their sides lose consistently.

Good riddance.

The other 14 can vote them out of the Premier League, six more teams can join the fourth division and we won't need to be relegated to the National League.

Cushty.

Overseas TV money. That's all they care about

Back