• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cockle43

Manager⭐
(Was) Back home on the North Bank now back in W.
Having managed to head off the Premier League's attempt to get their U21 teams inserted into the football pyramid with the League 3 proposal it now appears we have another fight on our hands as, having failed on one score, they're now trying to get in on another. The Prem has come up with a nice little ruse to insert 16 of their U21 teams into the JPT.....

:omg:

http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/premier-league-u21-plan-johnstone-paint-trophy

I've no real issue with it, tbh. I'd rather we get drawn against West Ham U21 or Arsenal U21 than Cheltenham or Plymouth. It's a bit pointless though. I was against having the U21 teams in a fifth tier but could at least see the argument. Having talented 18 year old kids playing two games a year against lower league reserve sides in the JPT isn't going to win England a World Cup.

Having managed to head off the Premier League's attempt to get their U21 teams inserted into the football pyramid with the League 3 proposal it now appears we have another fight on our hands as, having failed on one score, they're now trying to get in on another. The Prem has come up with a nice little ruse to insert 16 of their U21 teams into the JPT.....

That's not news. That was always the compromise. However, I think they should just scrap the JPT. That'll learn 'em.

Can't see this ever happening but even so... the JPT is a fantastic opportunity for the smaller clubs to compete & potentially experience a fantastic day out at Wembley without coming up against teams who throw cash around for fun & buy silverware.

Although I do agree that an U21 player taking part in 1 or 2 competitive games a year isn't going to help us win the World Cup.

Can't see this ever happening but even so, the fact it's being discussed is a disgrace IMO. The JPT is a fantastic opportunity for the smaller clubs to compete & potentially experience a fantastic day out at Wembley without coming up against teams who throw cash around for fun & buy silverware.

That's a bit hyperbolic isn't it? If it is in the best interests of the Game as a whole then it should be encouraged. In this case it's a naff compromise but there's nothing wrong with looking at radical solutions for the problems of a lack of talented English players.

EDIT - it's basically the equivalent of Southend playing in the Essex Senior Cup.

That's a bit hyperbolic isn't it? If it is in the best interests of the Game as a whole then it should be encouraged. In this case it's a naff compromise but there's nothing wrong with looking at radical solutions for the problems of a lack of talented English players.

EDIT - it's basically the equivalent of Southend playing in the Essex Senior Cup.

And when was the last time we won that? 2007/08 season that's when.

I'm not sure that I completely agree because my thoughts are that the teams with the most resources (and let's face it that is the London based top league teams for us) seem to vacuum up as many players as they possibly can (from an ever larger geographical area) and can almost proceed on the basis of "use and dispose" ...........

........ that is, give the youngsters a go and if they don't develop then get rid ............

....... and that does not help us or other lower league teams in developing our own players and getting finances from selling on partly developed players.

Any assistance that "we" (the Football League) give to these top clubs in making their youth set-ups even more appealing (e.g. from competing in the L.D.V.) only tips the scales even more in their favour.

And if we then talk about England and the international team then there must be far better options that a couple of games a year against third and fourth division teams. :'( I'm not sure that is going to cut the mustard for an England team in the 2020 European Championships.

I agree on the latter bit. This is a poor compromise which doesn't achieve anything.

The top clubs getting hold of the best players early and training them is in everyone's interest - including ours. That talent filters down the leagues. Most of our best players over the 25 years I've been supporting this Club have come to us with pedigrees and skills honed at clubs higher up the pyramid than we are.

Most of our lauded youth team successes (Bentley, Moussa, Kightly) were the players they were because of that trickling of talent.

So the tournament designed for the lower league teams to have a good chance at winning silverware and having a trip to Wembley will now see a final between Chelsea u21 vs Arsenal u21...

No thanks. The football league gets little enough focus in the premier leagues shadow as it is. £30 away tickets in the premier league next season makes it £5 more expensive to visit the emirates, old trafford or the Etihad than it was this season to visit Millwall and Barnsley away!

"£30 away tickets in the premier league next season makes it £5 more expensive to visit the emirates, old trafford or the Etihad than it was this season to visit Millwall and Barnsley away!"

Indeed but Barnsley's %age of income from gate is far more than Prem' as they don't get TV money. Same here.

This would make more sense if it was the League Cup.

I can't be arsed to write a detailed response, and many have been made already, but in summary they can f.... O....

i seriously don't understand why they can't stop simply have their own league and make it matter

That is a much better idea. I like it a lot. It also forces the Premier League teams to play their first team squad in the competition as well.

one small problem. they wont allow (rightly) any club to have 2 entries in the same competition.

they tried something similar in the dutch cup a few years ago, but pulled the plug after Jong Ajax got to the 1/4 final and the authorities started getting worried. They and PSV have a reserve side in the 2nd tier these days, but i believe they were asked to come in and make the numbers up in the league rather than them pressing for it especially hard.

So the tournament designed for the lower league teams to have a good chance at winning silverware and having a trip to Wembley will now see a final between Chelsea u21 vs Arsenal u21...

That's what I thought ........... that would take even more money away from clubs like us and Crewe who have been to the finals recently.

No thanks. The football league gets little enough focus in the premier leagues shadow as it is. £30 away tickets in the premier league next season makes it £5 more expensive to visit the emirates, old trafford or the Etihad than it was this season to visit Millwall and Barnsley away!

I'm afraid that this is a real threat to our club. Whilst we are very, very reliant on the gate income, Arsenal (for example) can "afford" to keep some ticket prices low by using alternative income sources such as from T.V. money.

I can't be arsed to write a detailed response, and many have been made already, but in summary they can f.... O....

i seriously don't understand why they can't stop simply have their own league and make it matter

Fair point, the FA Youth Cup has a much higher profile than it did 15 years ago.

I agree with you completely. This is how strongly I feel about it:

images

That's what I thought ........... that would take even more money away from clubs like us and Crewe who have been to the finals recently.

I'm afraid that this is a real threat to our club. Whilst we are very, very reliant on the gate income, Arsenal (for example) can "afford" to keep some ticket prices low by using alternative income sources such as from T.V. money.

Arsenal sell out every single week. They could let their fans in for free and it will have zero impact on Southend United.

Arsenal sell out every single week. They could let their fans in for free and it will have zero impact on Southend United.

Maybe, maybe not so directly on us, or others with the "sell out" BIG BIG clubs; BUT how about the likes of Crystal Palace and Charlton? or areas of similar competing middle order clubs? - Or Wet Spam and us when they get into "their" public funded new home and are discounting to fill it?
ALL and any more unbalancing of finances towards the bigger clubs WILL have a ripple down the leagues AND each small, negative change is another nail in the coffin of the league structure as the base crumbles (sorry about the over use of metaphor/symbolism).

Back