• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pressure - Carlisle at home ...

Rayleigh boy

Director⭐
wonder how the players will handle the stress .....

and who will step up to the mark .... Francis has .

and whos available - Macca ?

and my sudden inspiration is stick scannel up top with Vernon ...

can't wait for next two games .... can we even dream of getting out of this ?

So excited yet so nervous. I'll be there, block W singing my heart out with all the lads. Cheering the team on. We really do need to come up with a chant for simon francis!
But yeh focusing more on the game, relieved to see Macca back :)
We really do need 3 points, soon! ahhhh

Unfortunately its this simple. If the players dont step up to the plate starting Sat, then it's game over. The time for talking a good game, running themselves into the ground etc is over. Its time to start winning.

Spencer in for Vernon, other than that the only change I'd make would be a straight swap between Laurent and McCormack. There's no reason to move Moussa outside of the central midfield where he's been performingly consistently and Macca played on the left for Preston.

I'm not sure it's a case of the players stepping upto the mark, it's a case, maybe, that they're just not good enough - in which case, not much pressure on them at all! That's not to say we can't beat Carlisle and Walsall in our next two games, but it simply won't happen IMO.

If it was me, i'd stick with the XI, barring Spencer in for Vernon and Herd in for Malone, but let's be honest, there aren't too many options.

As for any individuals stepping upto the plate, well Macca has quite clearly proved he isn't capable of that after his completel lack of discipline and respect for his team mates last week at Hartlepool, so for me, he'd be nowhere near the first time on Saturday.

I'm not sure it's a case of the players stepping upto the mark, it's a case, maybe, that they're just not good enough - in which case, not much pressure on them at all! That's not to say we can't beat Carlisle and Walsall in our next two games, but it simply won't happen IMO.

If it was me, i'd stick with the XI, barring Spencer in for Vernon and Herd in for Malone, but let's be honest, there aren't too many options.

As for any individuals stepping upto the plate, well Macca has quite clearly proved he isn't capable of that after his completel lack of discipline and respect for his team mates last week at Hartlepool, so for me, he'd be nowhere near the first time on Saturday.

Unfortunately its this simple. If the players dont step up to the plate starting Sat, then it's game over. The time for talking a good game, running themselves into the ground etc is over. Its time to start winning.

I believe that my mind will be pretty made up following the next two games.
There HAS to be a WIN either against Carlisle or Walsall to keep virtually any hope alive.........anything less than three or four points is bye-bye Brighton...
..........Hello Morecombe! The battle of the Shrimps against the Shrimpers would be little compensation for our loss of League One status........that is,
....................if we are still in existence. :nope:

Come summer time, I'd imagine a certain handfull of players will be departing from us, so i i'd be surprised if half of them really cared.

I think Tilly played his best 11 to start with on Saturday. Cannot see him making any changes for Carlisle. I know our strikers got a bit of a pounding after the Exeter game, but they really didn't get any service of any note. For me, midfield really need to step up, Scannell (as good as some of his lead up play is) is not delivering into the box, Laurent looks to have lost all confidence and we have two very defensive players in Moose and Granty. I do see goals in Vernon and Paterson (they looked really good together against Charlton) but we did pass the ball a lot better and looked to get forward from midfield more.

Maybe if there was to be a change then it will be in midfield with Macca coming back: Scannell on the right NOT on the left, Granty and Macca in the middle with Moose on the left?

I'd actually like to see our two wingers, whoever they may be. To swap wings to cause a bit of trouble, it doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to. Mixes it up a bit in the midfield gives the defenders a bit of trouble having to deal with two 'tricksters' ;)
UTB!

I would like to see maybe Spencer start in place of either of Vernon or Paterson, think they are too alike and hopefully an injection of pace will give us another option up top. Central midfield should stay the same as imo they are by far our two best options and it would actually be nice to see them play together again.

I'd like to see a formation of

Spencer
Vernon / Patterson
Scannel Moussa Grant Macca
Herd Barret Baldwin Francis
Steveo

With Macca attacking

Grant breaking up the play

Moussa and Vernon (or patterson) playing the through Balls

and Spencer playing effectively on the last defender

Using Johnny's long throw in as the main danger causer

Barret as Sweeper

Theres the tactics for a great escape.

The whole team have to show real fitness and they have done, and Granty showed a lot of heart and proved to be a real bonus getting right in where it hurts!

UTB!

I'd like to see a formation of

Spencer
Vernon / Patterson
Scannel Moussa Grant Macca
Herd Barret Baldwin Francis
Steveo

With Macca attacking

Grant breaking up the play

Moussa and Vernon (or patterson) playing the through Balls

and Spencer playing effectively on the last defender

Using Johnny's long throw in as the main danger causer

Barret as Sweeper

Theres the tactics for a great escape.

The whole team have to show real fitness and they have done, and Granty showed a lot of heart and proved to be a real bonus getting right in where it hurts!

UTB!

Herd will not start before Malone.

This is exactly where Paterson plays. He continually pointed where he wanted the ball played on Saturday and received it - once (from Frances).

I'll say it again, our midfield really need to step up. Scannell needs to play on the right, Laurent needs to find his confidence and if Tilly decides to bring back Macca, then yes, I agree he should be the attacking midfielder looking to pick the pass. Moose and Granty can defensively hold midfield.

Due to the nature of their loan contracts, i was told by one of the directors son's that Vernon and Baldwin have to play if fit...

Tilly's hands are tied into picking players he may not want IF what i was told is true

Herd will not start before Malone.

This is exactly where Paterson plays. He continually pointed where he wanted the ball played on Saturday and received it - once (from Frances).

I'll say it again, our midfield really need to step up. Scannell needs to play on the right, Laurent needs to find his confidence and if Tilly decides to bring back Macca, then yes, I agree he should be the attacking midfielder looking to pick the pass. Moose and Granty can defensively hold midfield.

God I hope we dont have to rely on McCormack picking out passes :)

Up front Id have Vernon and Spencer, Paterson/Spencer seems too young for me.

Vernon had 2 great chances on saturday, missed both. Service hasnt been THAT bad, we just dont have the strikers to finish them off. Thats why Vernon is 6th choice at Col U and why Paterson was 4th choice at Southampton.

Vernon had 2 great chances on saturday, missed both. Service hasnt been THAT bad, we just dont have the strikers to finish them off. Thats why Vernon is 6th choice at Col U and why Paterson was 4th choice at Southampton.

I would say that Vernon had one good chance on Saturday, that's it in the last two games! We produce nothing from midfield to help our strikers, that imo is where we are lacking. Vernon is a well thought of striker and again imo a good 'target man'. Paterson is 19/20 and came to us having been very highly regarded at Saints but wanting first team football. Spencer has until the end of the season to win a contract for next season. I think we have hungry strikers who are starving!!

We must realise that these 3 players have the hopes and dreams of SUFC supporters all over the planet on their shoulders, and they're not even getting paid! Lets just cheer them on and not jeer them on and fingers crossed they will get us a few before the end of the season.

The only change I'd make would be Herd for Laurent, pushing Malone to the left and Scannell to where he should be playing - the right. Malone's only attribute is that he delivers the odd decent cross, hence why I'd try him further up the field. At least then he'll be further away from our goal when he gives the ball away.

If things aren't going our way, Spencer has to be brought on far, far sooner than Saturday's pointless change.

Back