• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Preston North End 0, Southend United 0

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United held League One Preston North End to a hard-fought 0-0 draw in the first round of the FA Cup at Deepdale this afternoon.

More...

Not a bad result after a very timid first half...showed them too much respect and gave them way too much space. Picked up the pace second half and had the better of play. Surprised to see JP come off as I thought be was our best player at that stage.Moshni really made an impact when he can on and got amongst them...Hall very unlucky with a shot late on that produced a good save. Daniels played well and needed to as the defence looked a bit rocky especially first half. Disappointed with Dickinson again, touch was poor and ball watched too often when he needed to come and meet the ball. Thought Sturrock might have put some fresh legs on up front late on as we started to take the game to them.Good result though and hopefully we can get a result at Roots Hall.

Dicko wasn't great yesterday. Didn't win enough headers for me and his touch was poor. The 1st 30 mins in the second half we dominated and could of nicked it with halls shot to the bottom right hand corner. I thought daniels was excellent as allways and clohessy played really well going forward with some nice touches, Gilbert again was poor looked shaky with the ball nearly costing us a goal with a dodgy back pass and then putting in a stupid tackle to give away a penalty.

Dicko wasn't great yesterday. Didn't win enough headers for me and his touch was poor. The 1st 30 mins in the second half we dominated and could of nicked it with halls shot to the bottom right hand corner. I thought daniels was excellent as allways and clohessy played really well going forward with some nice touches, Gilbert again was poor looked shaky with the ball nearly costing us a goal with a dodgy back pass and then putting in a stupid tackle to give away a penalty.

It was Timlin - and the pictures on the OS suggest he got the ball - although my first reaction was a clear penalty.

Dickinson's main problem was that he was completely isolated for most of the game.

Barker had a pretty shaky game at the back, up against an opponent bigger, stronger and quicker than him. I think Mohsni would have been a much better match-up for us with Barker moving to left-back, but fortunately their forward didn't seem to have the stamina and faded. Daniels, Phillips and Gilbert all looked very secure and the clean sheet was, other than the penalty, never really in doubt.

In midfield Ferdinand was quietly impressive once more, but the big difference was taking Kalala off early second half and all of a sudden we started controlling the game.

A decent away result, and on that showing we should be going into the replay at home as favourites.

Game of two halves for Sturrock

SOUTHEND United manager Paul Sturrock was pleased by the second half but not the first as Blues held Preston North End to a 0-0 draw.

More...

Beginning of the game was marred during the minutes silence as a small section of the Preston fans decided to make noise.

Thought in the first half we showed to much respect to Preston, and only real chance of note they had was the penalty. Second half we came out and played better. Moshni on for Kalala and we seemed to take control of the game, and was unlucky not to win it with Hall's long range effort which was tipped round the post.

All in all a good game and a good day out. Bring on Preston on a cold Tuesday night at Roots Hall. Play like we did in the second half and we'll have a good chance to win the game

My first game of the season.

I thought both sides set themselves up with a formation designed not to give goals away (and in that both sides succeeded. We had a 4-1-3-1-1and they had a 4-5-1. Pretty much canceled each other out in the first half. Yes they had more chances and the penalty (if that had been Mosnhi we'd have been calling for his head a totally unneccessary tackle from Timlin who otherwise had a good game. In fact bearing in mind the fact that we were playing higher division team I thought a thoroughly professional performance that overall deserved the draw.
I thought we were the better side for much of the second half. Sturrock said he took Kalala off because he wasn't playing well (obviously wasn't following the 'plan') but actually at the time I thought it was tactical as Preston had not done anything to us to suggest we needed that defensive midfielder and our formation then became slightly more attack orientated to a 4-3-2-1 (or perhaps matching their 4-5-1). We could have easily nicked this game in the end but for one world-class save by their keeper from a Hall shot.

Preston (management) seemed to be pleased with their performance, so away from home, we should be really happy about ours. It did seem that neither side got out of first gear, the ref gave them some dubious free kicks but our discipline was good (apart from that rash Timlin tackle) but a professional performance from us just doing enough to take them to a replay and I think we'll go with a more attacking line up from the start.

I though Dickenson played his role well and did everything that was asked of him. Did not get the rub of the green on many occasions though. No man of the match for me this was a game where everyone played their part

My first post here.

We reverted to a 4-5-1 towards the end of the first half as Preston had too much time and space in midfield - and without some good saves from Daniels :thumbsup: we could easily have been 2-0 down at half-time. We were too slow on the ball and that was wasn't helping with possession and creating space.

We picked up the pace in the 2nd half and gave as good as we got for all but the last few minutes. We were already playing better when Jesus :thumbsup:came on ......... but I thought it was Dicko that was going to be subbed as his touch, distribution and contribution were poor - he only had to look at Preston's no 11 to see how it was done - and he gave both Barker and Philips a hard time all afternoon - one to look out for at Roots Hall.

Save of the game came from the Hall shot that was going in at the corner. Kane played well.

Both teams were poor from the dead ball.

Overall, a decent game and it suggested to me that the current team (with 2 or may be 3 changes) could survive in division 3 ......... if we get promoted! :smile:

My first post here.

We reverted to a 4-5-1 towards the end of the first half as Preston had too much time and space in midfield - and without some good saves from Daniels :thumbsup: we could easily have been 2-0 down at half-time. We were too slow on the ball and that was wasn't helping with possession and creating space.

We picked up the pace in the 2nd half and gave as good as we got for all but the last few minutes. We were already playing better when Jesus :thumbsup:came on ......... but I thought it was Dicko that was going to be subbed as his touch, distribution and contribution were poor - he only had to look at Preston's no 11 to see how it was done - and he gave both Barker and Philips a hard time all afternoon - one to look out for at Roots Hall.

Save of the game came from the Hall shot that was going in at the corner. Kane played well.

Both teams were poor from the dead ball.

Overall, a decent game and it suggested to me that the current team (with 2 or may be 3 changes) could survive in division 3 ......... if we get promoted! :smile:

Welcome to SZ,

Who do you think we would need to replace?

Big question to ask that, Dave the Shrimper .........

In the areas of defence and midfield, we currently have some good options to consider so they would not be my highest priority .......... although I would love to see Daniels at the club permanently.

I think our main area that needs strengthening is upfront. Not sure that we have a good enough strike force for division 4, let alone division 3. That sounds harsher than I mean .......... as one cannot complain about the midfield and defence weighing in with goals game after game .......... other than Harris (and Hall and Jesus going upfront) I wonder what other forwards we have that could play in the division above.

Big question to ask that, Dave the Shrimper .........

In the areas of defence and midfield, we currently have some good options to consider so they would not be my highest priority .......... although I would love to see Daniels at the club permanently.

I think our main area that needs strengthening is upfront. Not sure that we have a good enough strike force for division 4, let alone division3. That sounds harsher than I mean .......... as one cannot complain about the midfield and defence weighing in with goals game after game .......... other than Harris (and Hall and Jesus going upfront) I wonder what other forwards we have that could play in the division above.

For my mind I think we need a new left back, a right midfielder and a centre forward were we to go up.

Totally agree with you about Daniels - Morris is good at this level but I think Daniels is a level above.

Interesting about the left back - I have seen both Prosser and Gilbert play very well there ........ and also quite poorly - neither has the attacking intent that we saw in past days with Hammell for instance.

Agree, we need more midfield wing options ....... would have liked to see both Saywer and JJ get some more time on the pitch in the last few games to potentially give some more options and match fitness.

So I come back to the striker position and our need to strengthen there as the 1st priority (even above making Timlin's move to Southend permanent).

Interesting about the left back - I have seen both Prosser and Gilbert play very well there ........ and also quite poorly - neither has the attacking intent that we saw in past days with Hammell for instance.

Agree, we need more midfield wing options ....... would have liked to see both Saywer and JJ get some more time on the pitch in the last few games to potentially give some more options and match fitness.

So I come back to the striker position and our need to strengthen there as the 1st priority (even above making Timlin's move to Southend permanent).

For me Prosser and Gilbert are both ok but no better than that. I just feel both are a weak line when they play.

Midfield wise we have an embarrasment of riches I think compared to the other postions as I am pretty happy with any two of Timlin, Kane, Grant, JP or Sawyer.

Harris and Dicko are both good players but I dont see either as a threat that is going to worry defences. I think at this level they do a good job but another level I feel we would get found out.

Agreed - seems like you are watching the same team that I am, Dave the Shrimper! :stunned:

Interesting to see how the replay goes as that will give another chance to see how the team can perform against higher league opposition.

Agreed - seems like you are watching the same team that I am, Dave the Shrimper! :stunned:

Interesting to see how the replay goes as that will give another chance to see how the team can perform against higher league opposition.

I think its called understanding the game personally.

Preston and possibly Oldham are both good for the club financially and also as a yard stick as two decent L1 sides.

Back