• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Returning to Roots Hall for the second time in under 5 weeks, tomorrow's referee is Darren Deadman, a civil servant from Cheshunt.

His last and recent performance against Torquay was not his worst appearance here by a large margin; he showed 9 yellow cards in a staggering display of incompetence the season before last at home to Franchise FC. As it happens, we probably benefitted from this abject performance.

In his seventh season as a League referee he has notched up well over 600 yellow cards. His red card count is above average too. This season he already has a massive 87 yellows and 6 reds from 20 games; substantially above average.

He was, for some reason I never really understood, a member of the so-called Talent Group of promising young officials being groomed for better things. He remains highly rated getting mainly Championship matches and loads of TV games.

Based on previous experience of watching Mr Deadman, expect unnecessary cautions and a few puzzling decisions all delivered with an iritating style.

He was once suspended for two weeks for allowing one too many substitutions in a pre-season friendly - hardly his biggest crime against football.

Refereed us 7 times before. It would have been 8 but the weather spared us last Boxing Day. Before the above-mentioned matches it was the previous season away to Brighton, where those of you with binoculars would have seen him caution Dervite and Sankofa. The season before that at home to Northampton (1-1 just 2 yellows), Preston at home the year before that (0-0 6 yellows) and the year before that at home to Swansea (1-2 7 yellows). He also did our 4-3 away win at Chesterfield that year when he sent off their defender for being unwittingly struck by the ball some way from goal.

His assistants will be Asley Slaughter from Brighton and Nigel Lugg from Chipstead in Surrey. The 4th official will be Ryan Atkin from London. The refereeing assessor for this match is the little known Gary Parish.

I am sure OBL will be delighted with the return of Mr. Deadman

If he gives us another couple of penalties there will be no complaints from me.

Yes indeed; it seemed so out of character at the time.

Obviously he doesn't want people to think he's gone soft. From that moment, he has shown an impressive 18 cards in just over two and a half matches.

For want of a better phrase, you had his cards well marked tonight Mick. Sadly, he seems to have all of the makings of a good referee but spoils it with his unforgiving/dramatically over-zealous attitude to bookings and entrenched opinion that the game's about HIM. Dickinson's booking was ridiculous, almost as if he was just looking for an excuse.

Who else thought Hall was getting red? I thought, as did everyone around me, that he had been booked when it was in fact Timlin.

very fussy as usual .. other than that I thought he did ok on decisions generally
gave them a few soft free kicks outside the area

Totally agree with most of what is said there was no need to book Timlin for taking a quick free kick and I'm not sure if Hall was going to get booked until prestons centre back complained about it, which ended up in him getting booked for asking for a booking! All other bookings though I felt were deserved including Dicko's I'm afraid as he took the ball away from Preston and through it away silly boy.

Halls one was after the Phil Brown pointed out to the lino that the foul was similar to the one where their player had just been booked. The lino used the headset to inform the ref and Hall was booked. It was less cynical than the Preston yellow, but I believe it was a yellow.

Dickinson threw the ball back to the spot where the ball was when the ref blew his whistle for offside. Whether this was gamesmanship or a genuine timewaste I don't know, and the ref probably didn't either.

Timlins - well if he had heard the ref say not to take the kick he's an absolute tool to take it. On the other hand, there's quite a good chance he didn't hear the ref as he came running in from 10 yards away - in which case the ref is an idiot.

The Timlin and Dickinson cards show a real lack of tolerance for any show of defiance to the refs authority, which can be a good thing, but probably wasn't necessary in a match where there was only one bad tackle and one cynical tackle and never looked like boiling over.

Some totally ridiculous yellows in my book, Dicko had already picked the ball up from the floor and threw it to almost the exact point where the free kick was due to be taken from so he was actually helping things along. Hall's I didn't think was really a booking, and I was fairly sure it was Timlin that was booked earlier, which I also felt was ridiculous.

Can someone please tell me about the Preston freekicks? Why, once the referee had blown his whistle did one of the players then deliberately pick the ball up with both hands and replace it for the other guy to kick? Is the ball not in play once the ref has blown his whistle so this is actually deliberate handball? I didn't see what actual advantage they gained from it anyway but I would be grateful if someone could clear that up because they did it 3 times at least.

I was assured the ball is not back in play until the ball is kicked. I suppose it some sort of code they use. They also pointed to the ball sometimes before taking a corner.

Some totally ridiculous yellows in my book, Dicko had already picked the ball up from the floor and threw it to almost the exact point where the free kick was due to be taken from so he was actually helping things along. Hall's I didn't think was really a booking, and I was fairly sure it was Timlin that was booked earlier, which I also felt was ridiculous.

Can someone please tell me about the Preston freekicks? Why, once the referee had blown his whistle did one of the
players then deliberately pick the ball up with both hands and replace it for the other guy to kick? Is the ball not in play once the ref has blown his whistle so this is actually deliberate handball? I didn't see what actual advantage they gained from it anyway but I would be grateful if someone could clear that up because they did it 3 times at least.

It is my understanding that although the whistle has been blown, the ball is not in play until it is kicked, similar to when the wall closes the ball before it is kicked, it is still encroaching, hence why a advancing playing can be booked for doing so.

In terms of the player picking up the ball and re-placing it, this is highly likely to be nothing more than a training ground exercise i.e. signalling to his team-mates where the delivery will be (far post, near post, specific player, which pace of delivery, angle etc). You would notice that the player "handling" the ball lifted it higher on some occasions that others, so these will be pre-determined routines conducted on the training pitch.

We do a similar thing, it is just with the raise of an arm, or subtle signal.

Hope this helps Mrs S :winking:

Back