• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Price of stamps set to rise again

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world
The price of first and second-class stamps is to rise by 3 pence from 6 April, the Royal Mail has announced.
For standard letters weighing up to 100g, a first-class stamp will cost 39p, while second-class will be 30p.

This is the fourth year in a row that the price of stamps has increased by more than the rate of inflation. The latest rate of increase averages 9.2 per cent, compared to the Consumer Prices Index, which is used to calculate the rate of inflation and is running at 4.1 per cent and expected to fall sharply next year.

No suprise there really, with the Royal Mail on its knees it has to increase revenues.

I dont approve but businesses have many options to reduce postal costs but individuals are left to burden the increase.

Last edited:
Bit like the train companies who impose 6% fare rises every year but don't give anything back. Mark my words, the Royal Mail will cease to exist soon. Mandleson's part-privatisation is the beginning of the end of the Royal Mail.

Bit like the train companies who impose 6% fare rises every year but don't give anything back. Mark my words, the Royal Mail will cease to exist soon. Mandleson's part-privatisation is the beginning of the end of the Royal Mail.

Blame MK for the trains.......guilty by association!!

My Grandad must be turning in his grave at the thought of paying 8 shilling's to post a letter....:stunned:

My Grandad must be turning in his grave at the thought of paying 8 shilling's to post a letter....:stunned:

I suppose you still remember this method mate??

:whistling:

Pony%20ExpressAdvert.jpg

Some years ago, in order to combat the proposed increase in the cost of stamps, my mate who has his own, very successful - believe it or not, business went out and bought something like 1000 first class stamps.

What he didn't realise, until much later was that each stamp was printed with the monetary value rather than 'first class'. He had to go out and buy loads of smaller value stamps to get the cost up to first class.

It's a little thing, but it still makes me chuckle.

Some years ago, in order to combat the proposed increase in the cost of stamps, my mate who has his own, very successful - believe it or not, business went out and bought something like 1000 first class stamps.

What he didn't realise, until much later was that each stamp was printed with the monetary value rather than 'first class'. He had to go out and buy loads of smaller value stamps to get the cost up to first class.

It's a little thing, but it still makes me chuckle.

He could have made a killing when they changed from the monetary value to "First" if he has brought them just before

Sadly I wasn't there, but he wasn't very happy. As I said, it's just a small thing, but it something he still gets a load of stick over. Was about 4 years ago now I think.

Back