• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fred or Tommo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member
Simple enough, who'd you have right now? I'm talking Freddy in the previous Lg1/2 campaigns, or Tommo in his current form?

Tough choice. Tomlin has an excellent first touch, works well with the team & can't seem to miss atm. Freddy is Freddy though. The ability to change a game with the blink of an eye

Think I'd give the edge to Eastwood.

You?

Freddy all day long. He had the ability to make something out of nothing and, although Tomlin is doing very well, Freddy's instant impact on arrival with the game against Swansea is something Tomlin could only dream of doing.

tomlin any day of the week, his work rate is first class and when he wasnt scoring goals he was still playing so well and creating chances for others, eastwood also got goals for us in the past but has never had the same work rate or effect that tomlin has, eastwood has always looked lazy and when he wasnt scoring for us spent long periods out of the game altogether, tomlin all day long for me:smile:

Freddy. Comfortably.

That's not to say Tomlin hasn't been magnificent for us these past 6 weeks or so, personally at this moment in time I wouldn't swap him for any other striker in the division.

Bit of an unfair poll for Tomlin! Fred is a club legend, maybe Tommo can become one as well? :thumbsup:

We wait until the end of the year for the most pointless poll.

Tomlin's run can't be faulted, but he couldn't have scored in a brothel a few months ago & we were all calling for him to be dropped, including myself. Freddy at his prime, was more consistent & was good enough to play at a higher level.

An unfair poll for Tomlin, who has been superb of late!

Says it all really doesn't it, resigned to talking about Eastwood in the past tense - he is clearly not rated by the manager and IMO was only signed to appease some of the fans and to try to get more bums on seats.
As for the question then even I will go for fit and hungry Eastwood of five years ago but as for the here and now Tomlin is playing out of his skin and long may he keep Freddy out of the team.

Freddy is the 2nd most naturally gifted footballer to play for Southend, behind Collymore, in my opinion! Back when he was fit and cared he was awesome!!

Think people are misunderstanding the poll but oh well.

I don't really see how the poll could be misunderstood. Freddy was by far the biggest factor in us obtaining 2 successive promotions, we had some very good players (Gower, Maher etc) but without Freddy we'd have struggled to get out of L2 never mind L1. Could I see Tomlin doing the same? No, personally I can't. Don't get me wrong he's been an absolutely fantastic signing but the run he's on now can't continue long-term. I can certainly see him being "1 in 2" but the scoring form he has now is Messi-like, it's a purple patch and it will pass. Tomlin brings an awful lot to the side and I really like him however Freddy was special, like Collymore you always got the impression that even on days when the majority of the side were way off form Freddy could produce something out of nothing and win the game. In 25 years as a Shrimper Collymore and Eastwood are the only two that I can remember having this in their locker, maybe Otto at a push too.

If you're talking Tomlin vs Eastwood now it's an easy answer at this moment in time. Much as I like Freddy and think he brings a lot to the team with his vision and awareness you wouldn't play him as both Tommo and Britt have been in outstanding form. If that continues we're heading for L1, and to have high quality replacements like Corr and Eastwood on the bench too can only help us to achieve that goal when injuries or suspensions hit up top.

As a side question if I was asked have I seen a better partnership up front than Tomlin and Assombalonga I'd have to say they are probably on a par with the likes of....

* Angell/Benjamin
* Angell/Collymore
* Eastwood/Gray
* Eastwood/Goater

....and that's some accolade! :thumbsup:

Freddy in his prime was quality and scored incredible solo goals.

Tomlin has shown that he is a confidence player, right now he is incredible, but he did take a long time to start scoring so Freddy wins for me.

Thats not taking anything away from Tomlin, his turnaround is nothing short of miraculous.

Back in the day Fred was at times unplayable and actually won games through genius.

Am I the only person who does not rate Eastwood as highly as everyone else? Sure, when he was here before he was decent, but since his return I've seen nothing to impress me. He is living on his previous reputation IMHO. He appears off the pace and lacking interest. I would not be unhappy to see him go, either permanently or on loan to lessen the wage bill.
I'll settle for 2 goals a game Tomlin, thank you. Right, tin lid on.

Am I the only person who does not rate Eastwood as highly as everyone else? Sure, when he was here before he was decent, but since his return I've seen nothing to impress me. He is living on his previous reputation IMHO. He appears off the pace and lacking interest. I would not be unhappy to see him go, either permanently or on loan to lessen the wage bill.

Agree with this. A few tidy flicks or passes aren't enough for what were allegedly paying him

The poll was about Freddy in his prime though, and for that reason I'm voting Freddy. Haven't had the chance to see Tomlin, but Freddy a few years back was just another level to anything you expect to see at our level

Back