• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would you be willing in principle to donate?

• Total voters

Sussex Shrimper

Manager
Let me start off by saying that I'm not looking to excuse the situation that the club finds itself in in any way shape or form. Even in a best case scenario, with the club agreeing a payment plan with HMRC and being able to continue operating in relative normality, it's axiomatic that steps must be taken to avoid a repeat of the situation. I respectfully ask, and that's all that I can do, that this thread not be turned into another finger pointing exercise. There are already 101 threads suitable for that, and we might have a lifetime to wring our hands and apportion blame. Time to take proactive steps and safeguard the future of a club that we all love might be in shorter supply.

Cutting to the chase, what I want to know is who would be willing, in principle and if necessary, to put their hands in their pockets and do their bit to keep the club above water. For the sake of argument, let's say that it required approximately 12,000 contributions of £50 to pay this tax bill. The obvious question that will arise is “why should I?”. To those that would ask it I would say that of course it's wrong that it should come down to that, but it may be a simple choice between life and death for Southend United F.C. Whatever the short term feelings of wronging, I put it to you that in the long term our interests are best served by putting them to one side and guaranteeing our future as a business.

I'm throwing this out there as an idea for now, to gauge feeling. If it were to get off of the ground I would suggest that it's something that the Trust might be interested in organising and liaising with the club over. Clearly there would need to be a structure in place to ensure that all money given was receipted and put towards the intended purpose. We might also seek undertakings from the club over future priorities in return. The finer details could be worked out at a future point.

For the club's part, if this were to happen I'm sure that some form of acknowledgement would be greatly appreciated by the fans. Off the top of my head I would suggest that a list of donors in the programme might be in order. Also, if Ron can sign Christmas cards to every season ticket holder, then would thank you cards hand signed by the players and management be out of the question? I'm sure that signed certificates stating that we had saved the club in its time of need would take pride of place on many a mantelpiece.

To Ron I would ask this: you've stated, quite correctly, on many an occasion that the fans are the lifeblood of the club. Southend United F.C. has a history of allowing the fans to play their part when necessary, most notably in the building of Roots Hall. I ask of you now that you not allow your pride as a businessman to prevent you from asking for help if it's needed to keep in business a football club that has been bringing happiness and pride to the people of the Southend area for over a century. If there's a danger that we may go out of business, then please allow us our opportunity to do our bit now to avoid that eventuality.

Thank you.

For something proactive, I would suggest a dirty protest outside whsmiths in the high street.

See you all there in about 15 mins?

Kind Regards

TBH this is how the Shrimpers Trust was formed, to start a "fighting fund" should things go to the wall.

I am sure that they have contingency plans in hand.

In answer to the question though , I'd pay a tenner a month to a fund, but in all honesty unless it was accumlating 20k a month plus it would probably be a waste money

I was all for proactive talk some 3 months ago however the OP shouted me down as can be seen here

Originally Posted by Defiler
In my opinion and I don't mean to be personal but this is a rather 'head in sand' approach. Standing back and waiting for the club to explain this is all a bit too passive for my liking.

I think we should be looking at more of a proactive and not reactionary approach. Working along side the club to ensure the financial safety of the club.

We've established that we're not currently receiving assistance, so I doubt that if we give the club a week or so to clarify matters we're likely to be receiving a winding up order in the meantime. The club have clarified the CCJ situation, so if there's nothing to hide I don't see why they'd hesitate to clarify this one. With things going so well at the moment I would have said that it would be far more harmful to create distractions by developing snippets of info into unfounded disaster scenarios.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=50412&page=4

Now the horse has bolted etc etc.

Last edited:
In return for a voting seat on the board of directors on behalf of the fans (to be taken by, say, the Chairman of SUSCT), then yes.

The fans gave SUFC Roots Hall, for goodness' sake - let it never be said that we've not been there for the club...

Matt

I refer the OP to my posts dated 30/3/03 seen below and also your response (seen about halfway down the page):-

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=50412&page=4

Don't come on here with all your proactive talk when you were being rather chirlish about it 3 months ago.

That was four months ago, in relation to a completely different situation. The club have since clarified that the money borrowed on that occasion wasn't even needed in the end and was repaid promptly. Do you have any other evidence to offer that suggests that that wasn't the case?

My approach is very straightforward really - I give a lot more credibility to hard evidence than message board rumour. Nine times out of ten the disaster stories spelled out on here amount either to nothing or to dramatisations of minor hiccups. When something real happens, and we find ourselves in court over an unpaid tax bill of almost £700,000 I have no problem whatsoever with admitting there's a problem.

That was four months ago, in relation to a completely different situation. The club have since clarified that the money borrowed on that occasion wasn't even needed in the end and was repaid promptly. Do you have any other evidence to offer that suggests that that wasn't the case?

My approach is very straightforward really - I give a lot more credibility to hard evidence than message board rumour. Nine times out of ten the disaster stories spelled out on here amount either to nothing or to dramatisationsof minor hiccups. When something real happens, and we find ourselves in court over an unpaid tax bill of almost £700,000 I have no problem whatsoever with admitting there's a problem.

You dont think that one situation has perpetuated another then?

Cashflow is cashflow, if we cant afford wages are we likely to be in a position to pay a HMRC VAT liability?

I'm suprised at you naievity regarding this holistic issue.

TBH this is how the Shrimpers Trust was formed, to start a "fighting fund" should things go to the wall.

I am sure that they have contingency plans in hand.

In answer to the question though , I'd pay a tenner a month to a fund, but in all honesty unless it was accumlating 20k a month plus it would probably be a waste money

Exactly, this would be a good place for someone from the Shrimpers Trust to (a) promote the Trust and (b) explain what the Trust is currently doing regarding Southend United's current financial state.

I'd donate to club funds if the club were opened up and we knew the full situation and what we were actually dealing with.

and while we're at it, does anyone know any sheiks or oligarchs?

On the condition that the trust got some voting shares and a place on the board - then yes.

You dont think that one situation has perpetuated another then?

Cashflow is cashflow, if we cant afford wages are we likely to be in a position to pay a HMRC VAT liability?

I'm suprised at you naievity regarding this holistic issue.

My understanding of the cashflow problem last season was that it arose as a result of the club not operating an overdraft. We needed a transfer from our parent company and took a loan from the PFA as insurance against any unforeseen delay. In the end, things went smoothly and the money was returned untouched. I'm open to correction on that.

On that occasion I feel that my assertion that the club should be allowed to explain themselves was vindicated. That's not the same as denying that we have problems. Anybody who has seen the accounts knows that we don't have vast, mountainous reserves to dip into in times of need. Everybody knows that we're skint and will remain so for as long as we're in Roots Hall. I'm still hopeful that, with the tax bill not greatly increased from last year, my original post will prove to be needlessly melodramatic. More so after today's adjournment. As somebody who cares a great deal about the club I just want to examine what we might be able to do as fans in a worst case scenario rather than engage in finger pointing that can take place at leisure later on.

Let me start off by saying that I'm not looking to excuse the situation that the club finds itself in in any way shape or form. Even in a best case scenario, with the club agreeing a payment plan with HMRC and being able to continue operating in relative normality, it's axiomatic that steps must be taken to avoid a repeat of the situation. I respectfully ask, and that's all that I can do, that this thread not be turned into another finger pointing exercise. There are already 101 threads suitable for that, and we might have a lifetime to wring our hands and apportion blame. Time to take proactive steps and safeguard the future of a club that we all love might be in shorter supply.

Cutting to the chase, what I want to know is who would be willing, in principle and if necessary, to put their hands in their pockets and do their bit to keep the club above water. For the sake of argument, let's say that it required approximately 12,000 contributions of £50 to pay this tax bill. The obvious question that will arise is “why should I?”. To those that would ask it I would say that of course it's wrong that it should come down to that, but it may be a simple choice between life and death for Southend United F.C. Whatever the short term feelings of wronging, I put it to you that in the long term our interests are best served by putting them to one side and guaranteeing our future as a business.

I'm throwing this out there as an idea for now, to gauge feeling. If it were to get off of the ground I would suggest that it's something that the Trust might be interested in organising and liaising with the club over. Clearly there would need to be a structure in place to ensure that all money given was receipted and put towards the intended purpose. We might also seek undertakings from the club over future priorities in return. The finer details could be worked out at a future point.

For the club's part, if this were to happen I'm sure that some form of acknowledgement would be greatly appreciated by the fans. Off the top of my head I would suggest that a list of donors in the programme might be in order. Also, if Ron can sign Christmas cards to every season ticket holder, then would thank you cards hand signed by the players and management be out of the question? I'm sure that signed certificates stating that we had saved the club in its time of need would take pride of place on many a mantelpiece.

To Ron I would ask this: you've stated, quite correctly, on many an occasion that the fans are the lifeblood of the club. Southend United F.C. has a history of allowing the fans to play their part when necessary, most notably in the building of Roots Hall. I ask of you now that you not allow your pride as a businessman to prevent you from asking for help if it's needed to keep in business a football club that has been bringing happiness and pride to the people of the Southend area for over a century. If there's a danger that we may go out of business, then please allow us our opportunity to do our bit now to avoid that eventuality.

Thank you.

if ron asks I will give up a ton straight away

Back