• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

jaffa1

Manager
A couple of things caught my eye on the jouney home. Firstly hats off to Conor Clifford for hardly taking any time off during the summer and hiring a personal trainer to ensure he was at peak fitness. Secondly, what an all-time five-a-side Simon Dodd selected, namely ; Royce, Powell, Butler, Whelan, Collymore. Could anyone beat that line-up I wonder?....

Southall, Powell, Marsh, Otto, Collymore ...........after Whelan's performance as manager I can't bring myself to include him as good as he was as a player

A couple of things caught my eye on the jouney home. Firstly hats off to Conor Clifford for hardly taking any time off during the summer and hiring a personal trainer to ensure he was at peak fitness. Secondly, what an all-time five-a-side Simon Dodd selected, namely ; Royce, Powell, Butler, Whelan, Collymore. Could anyone beat that line-up I wonder?....

Only thing is I cant remember Paul Butler! Now Peter Butler I can!

Southall, Powell, Marsh, Otto, Collymore ...........after Whelan's performance as manager I can't bring myself to include him as good as he was as a player

Goalkeeper presumably picked because 5 a side goals are small and Southall would have filled them.

One of our worst keepers and we've had some duff ones (9 matches, no win) and you pick him in a best 5 players. Strange but it's all about opinions I suppose.

Goalkeeper presumably picked because 5 a side goals are small and Southall would have filled them.

One of our worst keepers and we've had some duff ones (9 matches, no win) and you pick him in a best 5 players. Strange but it's all about opinions I suppose.

But one of our most entertaining. Remember when he had a goal kick he used to walk from one side of the 6 yard box to the other but go behind the goal to get there. He really knew how to waste time

Most entertaining goal keeper has to be John Burridge surely? Such a short period with us, but such entertainment!

The defence at that time was shocking though so very surprised that as one of our most knowledgable and respected posters you're pinning the blame on him if you are ? Then again as you say it's all about opinions.

Presumably picked on his performance against us in the FA Cup rather than any performances for us!

Come to think of it, is there another player we've had who can compare with Neville Southall in terms of the huge gulf between how good he was at his peak and how awful he was when with us?

Never sure if Tony Currie can count for such a debate given he never actually played a first team game!

Come to think of it, is there another player we've had who can compare with Neville Southall in terms of the huge gulf between how good he was at his peak and how awful he was when with us?

Never sure if Tony Currie can count for such a debate given he never actually played a first team game!
Frank Lampard .

Most entertaining goal keeper has to be John Burridge surely? Such a short period with us, but such entertainment!

I totally agree. If a game was held up for a long time, he would have a chat with fans that were standing in the North Bank. He would also walk on his hands across the six yard box.

The defence at that time was shocking though so very surprised that as one of our most knowledgable and respected posters you're pinning the blame on him if you are ? Then again as you say it's all about opinions.

Not all the blame of course; there were some wretched defenders in front of him (the very reasonable Richard Jobson excepted) but he really didn't excel or come anywhere near to excellence, let alone all time great !

And thank you for those kind words.

But one of our most entertaining. Remember when he had a goal kick he used to walk from one side of the 6 yard box to the other but go behind the goal to get there. He really knew how to waste time

Why would he want to waste time ?

We were never ahead for a single minute of the nine matches he played.

Back