• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Progress

I am always disappointed but not surprised when after a few poor results (Not always poor performances) some on here are quick to turn on the team and coaching staff. Calling for a change and questioning their commitment and ability. It's been a rough 5 years and we're still not where we need to be. But it's obvious to me and I would think most loyal fans that real progress has been made and we are starting to build back up again. It should not just be about promotion this season, although that would be nice and is still realistic with a Grimsby type scenario at the end of the season.

It's about stopping the rot, reorganizing the foundation and structure of the club. More importantly, put a better team out, play a better brand of football and be more successful than in the past couple of seasons. All those boxes have been ticked for me.

Yet Torquay and Chesterfield make me right. Tactics is one of the main shortcomings this season, and I challenge you to find a game where we've drawn or lost where tactics have not been cited by someone in the match thread.

Chesterfield, 2 of their goals were in off the woodwork - whilst a couple of our attempts rebounded out. Torquay we were all over them - just finishing was a let down. Not sure tactics were wrong.

The squad is good. It is a clear improvement on recent seasons and contains a good number of players that can progress further. It's not unreasonable to question some of the selections, substitutions and tactics but, hopefully those will improve too.

There are been some astute acquisitions and they bode well. I think one of the best, but least exalted, is GSM. Silly yesterday but, he looks like a player that is grateful for the opportunity and has no intention of squandering it.

It is the goals, or lack of, that will determine whether we go on an unbeaten run or not. I still think that we fanny about in the final third. We push it wide too many times and continually pass more than is necessary. All it does is allow opposition defences the time to regroup and make it harder for the strikers. Once we go for the jugular the goals will flow. The skill is there but, in some, I'm not convinced the confidence in and around the box matches their ability. Mooney is my main concern. He has so much ability at this level but his final release/cross/shot has been repeatedly way below what I expect of him. So often he is snatching at things or leaning back when shooting. Once those kinks are ironed out he will be a regular scorer/assister.

There can't be a side in the league that relishes playing us.

Cant see us getting beaten anytime soon! We are much better then the so called best team in this league who we already beat! With king lopata playing a run is a certainty with quality forwards set to return.

With Yeovil and Woking at coming up there is no reason that we can’t win both or at least get 4 points and then Daggers away, Scunny at home also winnable. So can’t see any reason we can’t get on a roll and then who knows where we can go with this squad
I think Yeovil may be in a slightly false position and not an easy game.
They've only lost 3 out if 10 ( although admittedly only 1 win ) and drawn with 3 of the top 4 in Chesterfield, Wrexham and Boreham Wood.

I think Yeovil may be in a slightly false position and not an easy game.
They've only lost 3 out if 10 ( although admittedly only 1 win ) and drawn with 3 of the top 4 in Chesterfield, Wrexham and Boreham Wood.
They also missed a penalty against Wealdstone to win the game too.

Let's not forget, we would have said that we were in a 'false position' too. It's way too early to judge the calibre of opposition based on league standings. The league is way too unpredictable.

They also missed a penalty against Wealdstone to win the game too.

Let's not forget, we would have said that we were in a 'false position' too. It's way too early to judge the calibre of opposition based on league standings. The league is way too unpredictable.
Yeovil, like Daggers at present, and Scunny in the past are sides we rarely get more than a point off, they hold the hoodoo over us and, as you rightly post, there are no easy games.

Just an observation SUFC is only 4 points from the basement of the National League! To repeat, there are no easy games!

Last I checked we have the lowest expected goals conceded in the league, so our defensive structure is very good.

In terms of shots, we're also right up there in the top 3/4 teams, we just struggle to convert and at times struggle to create higher quality chances.

I actually don't think we've changed too much in the last couple of matches either, we still struggle to score and we still concede very few chances and our performances have always been pretty good.

Tactically I think we're one of the better sides in the league, it's so easy to blame 'tactics' when a result doesn't go your way without needing much substance behind it. We're not perfect but you don't concede as few chances as we do without a really good structure to your play. It's just when you don't score that many goals, you don't kill teams off and then it only takes a bit of bad luck or one mistake for it to cost you.

I think we can go on a good run, especially if we can find a way to score goals consistently. I still think that Powell or Wreh could be the key to that, and I think it's a bit of a shame Powell has found himself out of the team these last couple of matches. Hopefully he works his way back into the team and finds his shooting boots.

Last I checked we have the lowest expected goals conceded in the league, so our defensive structure is very good.

In terms of shots, we're also right up there in the top 3/4 teams, we just struggle to convert and at times struggle to create higher quality chances.

I actually don't think we've changed too much in the last couple of matches either, we still struggle to score and we still concede very few chances and our performances have always been pretty good.

Tactically I think we're one of the better sides in the league, it's so easy to blame 'tactics' when a result doesn't go your way without needing much substance behind it. We're not perfect but you don't concede as few chances as we do without a really good structure to your play. It's just when you don't score that many goals, you don't kill teams off and then it only takes a bit of bad luck or one mistake for it to cost you.

I think we can go on a good run, especially if we can find a way to score goals consistently. I still think that Powell or Wreh could be the key to that, and I think it's a bit of a shame Powell has found himself out of the team these last couple of matches. Hopefully he works his way back into the team and finds his shooting boots.
Good post agree.

Whilst not overly surprised that Powell is not in starting 11, given the amount of wayward shots, I am surprised he hasn't come on - especially as Bridge has. Powell was starting ahead of Bridge, so seems a little odd he's coming on ahead of Powell

played 11 matches so far 35 to play and everyone is winnable, whether we will or not is another question. Powell will be back in the side soon ,hes just having shooting practice ,when hes got it right he will be back, probably tuesdays match .he and WREH the front pairing.

Yet Torquay and Chesterfield make me right. Tactics is one of the main shortcomings this season, and I challenge you to find a game where we've drawn or lost where tactics have not been cited by someone in the match thread.

I'll challenge you to find anyone who can explain what they mean when they mention tactics. A cliche like "out thought" don't count.

played 11 matches so far 35 to play and everyone is winnable, whether we will or not is another question. Powell will be back in the side soon ,hes just having shooting practice ,when hes got it right he will be back, probably tuesdays match .he and WREH the front pairing.
Actually 10 match’s already played, 3 wins/3 draws & 4 defeats.

On paper the Daggers game could be the hardest but I hear they have a few injuries so we might be playing them at the right time and we definitely owe them one and as it's on TV we could make a statement to the league
Nothing I want more than to hear our Blue army belting out “Dagenham get battered, everywhere they go”, firstly live at the ground and then later on my TV as I watch the re-run that evening! No I’m not bitter and don’t hold a grudge. And I didn’t find our last games against them painful in the extreme.

*sucks thumb and slumps into the corner*

Last edited:
I’ll play up front still got some goals in me only 28 next year lol 😂

Nothing I want more than to hear our Blue army belting out “Dagenham get battered, everywhere they go”, firstly live at the ground and then later on my TV as I watch the re-run that evening! No I’m not bitter and don’t hold a grudge. And I didn’t find our last games against them painful in the extreme.

*sucks thumb and slumps into the corner*
1664448290005.png

Back