• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Promotion and relegation 2019/20 season

No idea how / when the National League expect the remaining fixtures to be played at steps 1 and 2. Many players will be out of contract after end April and clubs can’t force them to play, that‘s if they have the money to pay them after weeks of inaction
and no income. There’s no big dosh in the non-league game.

People are assuming that normal rules will apply come the end of this. That normal player contracts/t&c’s ... season start dates/cup competitions etc will revert to type - as if nothing has gone on. I think this’ll change football as we know it forever. Forget the “normal” rules. The Olympics have been postponed and who ever would’ve thought that would be possible. Public health takes priority over everything, even football.

Simplistic, but generally speaking clubs that have done well want points per game. Clubs that have done badly want voiding.

Should clubs that have done badly be rewarded or should clubs that have done well be rewarded?

Well, they've gone for rewarding the teams that have done badly by voiding all of steps 3 to 6 with no promotion or relegation. So all those players' appearances, goals and indeed matches just disappear for no really good reason. PPG would have maintained all the matches in the records and rewarded the teams who were well on their way to promotions. Yes, they'd have been the odd anomaly but there are far more teams being stripped of deserved promotions.

They've gone for the easy way out.

Non-League should have been points per game.

Jersey Bulls won 27 of 27. Guaranteed Promoted yet can't because of this stupidity

The problem with points per game is that it doesn't take into account strength of opposition based upon the teams you've played - additionally weighting of home/away fixtures played to date could create a further disparity. When you have a handful of points separating promotion, play-off and relegation spaces with up to a quarter of the season remaining it doesn't feel like an entirely fair method to judge a season upon.

The problem with points per game is that it doesn't take into account strength of opposition based upon the teams you've played - additionally weighting of home/away fixtures played to date could create a further disparity. When you have a handful of points separating promotion, play-off and relegation spaces with up to a quarter of the season remaining it doesn't feel like an entirely fair method to judge a season upon.

Points per game is the fairest way to do it with so much of the season completed

As I have said on another thread, the leagues should just be voided. Similar to when a match is abandoned the result doesn't stand. Football in the grand scheme of things is not really that important. As thing currently stand I'd be surprised if the 20/21 league will actually start.

Got to feel for South Shields. They're 12 points clear in the Northern Premier League, Premier Division. They are threatening legal action.

Jeez it brings out the worse in people, people dying and they worry about kicking a ball about
Sometimes we all need to sit back and take stock ,we have our loved ones, many after this will not and do we care if we see another ball kicked when mourning someone

Jeez it brings out the worse in people, people dying and they worry about kicking a ball about
Sometimes we all need to sit back and take stock ,we have our loved ones, many after this will not and do we care if we see another ball kicked when mourning someone
I'm not sure worrying about human life is the same as a league running roughshod over smaller clubs because the football authorities feel they can.
This voiding results smells of a knee-jerk reaction. Probably, as a result of smaller clubs being unable to afford legal action.
Do you suppose the FA would have the cojones to void Premier League results?
In theory, they should after this, right?
But this is little guy versus corporate giants.

Legal action was always going to be an option for clubs, i certainly expect it at pro level.

If they void the season what happens with FFP for that year is that ignored? Again legal action if it isnt is possible?

Liverpool would have a case i think to tend the season as is, they would want the price money I reckon and the glory that goes with winning the league, those at the bottom would argue we could have stayed up so would also have cases.

In the champion ship there are clubs in playoffs and close to them they could take action based on that. Same for leagues 1 sand 2.

In the end, be it right or wrong, most clubs, if not all, with something to gain or lose would consider and or take action. Just the way things are.

Perosnally i think the season could be played in September, start the next season later without any cup competitions. But just my thoughts

The season can only be started any month after medical advice says we can.
Even experts are unable to predict accurately how long the shutdown.
I don't blame lower non-league clubs for considering legal action.
The genie is out of the bottle when it comes to voiding the season.
Did the FA seriously think it could have one rule for some and not for all?
If I were Bulls or South Shields, or any of the others at step 3 non-league, I would form a conglomerate and sue their stupid arses the length of Wembley Way.
In fairness, this is a nightmare because it's unprecedented - and there is no outcome that will suit the immediate and near future.

The bigger legal issue that could rear its head is the sponsorships issue, a lot of clubs have sponsorship deals that come to an end in the summer and some even have new deals signed to start in the summer. If this season is completed later this year who pays?

a big example is Liverpool, they have a new manufacturer in Nike for next season which starts at a prescribed date this summer, if the season continues Liverpool will be crowned champions in Nike kits and the court case from New Balance would be inevitable.

The bigger legal issue that could rear its head is the sponsorships issue, a lot of clubs have sponsorship deals that come to an end in the summer and some even have new deals signed to start in the summer. If this season is completed later this year who pays?

a big example is Liverpool, they have a new manufacturer in Nike for next season which starts at a prescribed date this summer, if the season continues Liverpool will be crowned champions in Nike kits and the court case from New Balance would be inevitable.

Jeez had not occured to me that! If only Diana were still alive to sort out these minefields.

Subject to 'force majeure' i'd have thought. Not sure if South Shields would have enough to argue their case against under the current situation.
They will if it's one rule for one and one for another.
Should the PL/EFL and NL resume, it will become just that.
I take the force majeure point. But in essence that applies to everyone.
It's 22 men kicking a ball around a pitch, but we're saying a partial resumption will see money speak to advantage those who have it.

Basically the contract issues block pretty much every option other than voiding the season. This virus will be with us for a long, long time and only when a vaccine is available will life gradually crawl to 'normal'.

In an ideal world, I'd finish this season at this time next year. The 2020-21 season is blatantly not going to start on time and even if it does, it will be behind closed doors for a long stretch so we may as well skip it and not rush anything.

Unfortunately this isn't an ideal world.

The National League top division have told the EFL and FA they want to void the season- they have told the EFL and FA they want be told how to implement it. So they are trying to do it in a consistent way but the EFL are terrified of giving the advice driven by £££.

Given the devastating background to all this if there are one or two clubs looking to sue probably the best defence will be from a position of voiding the season as any process of trying to predict how the season would have ended is the most likely opportunity for resorting to the courts. So FA has taken probably the sensible course.

Once the top National League is called off then EFL will have to decide what happens with Stevenage and Barrow- so a real squeaky bottom moment coming for the EFL who this far have been desperate to make no decisions on anything for as long as possible. This is an art they have perfected over many years.

The National League top division have told the EFL and FA they want to void the season- they have told the EFL and FA they want be told how to implement it. So they are trying to do it in a consistent way but the EFL are terrified of giving the advice driven by £££.

Given the devastating background to all this if there are one or two clubs looking to sue probably the best defence will be from a position of voiding the season as any process of trying to predict how the season would have ended is the most likely opportunity for resorting to the courts. So FA has taken probably the sensible course.

Once the top National League is called off then EFL will have to decide what happens with Stevenage and Barrow- so a real squeaky bottom moment coming for the EFL who this far have been desperate to make no decisions on anything for as long as possible. This is an art they have perfected over many years.

Barrow? But Harrogate are only four points shy (and Barrow still to visit Harrogate). Notts County seven points hoping for a draw in the aforementioned fixture.

Back