• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Promotion and relegation 2019/20 season

Barrow? But Harrogate are only four points shy. Notts County seven.
Yup! And as above: the genie is out of the bottle on voiding the season from step 3 non-league onwards.
How are they now going to tell the rest they can carry on anytime in the next three months at the earliest?
Even if they finish this season in September, for argument's sake, what happens to 20/21?
Fewer games means less revenue; means bankruptcy, means...

Barrow? But Harrogate are only four points shy (and Barrow still to visit Harrogate). Notts County seven points hoping for a draw in the aforementioned fixture.

Quite- thats the point EFL will have to tell the National League how they want the closing down of the season implemented - void no relegations & promotions, take the current positions as final (Barrow & Stevenage) or dream up some way of predicting how the season would have ended which as your comment shows is full of opinions and challenges. I am very much coming to the opinion that the option chosen by the FA for the rest of the leagues (i.e. the first one) is the only sensible course. I had originally been proposing promoting the clubs currently in the automatics and no relegations, but actually, in part for the reasons you demonstrate, I think this probably would be worse than just voiding altogether.

I think the PL clubs have to tread a careful line here. If they come across as their only concern is money, it can really damage the product. Especially if some clubs are considering legal action to get their own way. It reeks of greed. After this is all over I think we may all have a different outlook on how we see the world. Football clubs and players making millions may not be part of it.

Financially the lower league clubs (National L, L2 and a number of L1) will be furloughing players to get back the 80% so they can't work/train at all even if it were allowed/possible. And come June 30 they will need many out of contract players off the wage bill.

Even with zero coronavirus they would not have squads to complete games without some sort of transfer window prior. And where these severely weakened squads would leave the EFL's beloved integrity of the game is anyone's guess. And players who have not trained for two months plus will not be able to start playing straight away- they will need 2-3 weeks to regain a level of fitness that protects from injury.

Unless the PL & EFL are going to pay all of the associated wage and contract costs beyond June 30 to enable somehow the clubs to maintain their 19/20 squads they are going to be focussed on staying afloat. (PS this assumes someone at the EFL has worked out how to universally extend all player contracts that are separate legal agrrements between the parties).

Legal action was always going to be an option for clubs, i certainly expect it at pro level.

If they void the season what happens with FFP for that year is that ignored? Again legal action if it isnt is possible?

Liverpool would have a case i think to tend the season as is, they would want the price money I reckon and the glory that goes with winning the league, those at the bottom would argue we could have stayed up so would also have cases.

In the champion ship there are clubs in playoffs and close to them they could take action based on that. Same for leagues 1 sand 2.

In the end, be it right or wrong, most clubs, if not all, with something to gain or lose would consider and or take action. Just the way things are.

Perosnally i think the season could be played in September, start the next season later without any cup competitions. But just my thoughts

Though it's true that Liverpool would not win the premier league title. They would retain their European crown.

If they take the season as is and finish it then those teams in the play offs will expect hem to take place, otherwise they may have a case. It is a complete mess and as KentBlues has said the EFL are not th best to make decisions

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier. Surely, one thing has to be resolved if the season is declared null and void. League 1 can't be allowed to have just 23 sides again. Someone would have to be promoted.

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier. Surely, one thing has to be resolved if the season is declared null and void. League 1 can't be allowed to have just 23 sides again. Someone would have to be promoted.

Why not? The season had only 23 teams didn't seem much of a problem. We could let bury back in but that would be another can of worms!

I suspect any outcome will be subject to legal action as there will be disadvantaged parties but (as a non-lawyer) I assume that the most defensible one would be to deem the season impossible to complete due to force majeur and therefore it is void.

No chance as you say Jason, find it very distasteful some clubs / chairman are up in arms and threatening legal action whilst 1000s will die and millions suffer financial difficulties.
I agree with you.
but then also see it could be financial ruin for some clubs and players in the lower leagues. It’s going to be a mess what ever they do.

oh well time to wait and see

I agree with you.
but then also see it could be financial ruin for some clubs and players in the lower leagues. It’s going to be a mess what ever they do.

oh well time to wait and see
Sign of the times mate , legal action costs money, which could mean financial ruin. Many people are / will be in financial ruin same as the country, don’t see how footballers are special.

Sign of the times mate , legal action costs money, which could mean financial ruin. Many people are / will be in financial ruin same as the country, don’t see how footballers are special.
whilst I said players I am more thinking about clubs. Clubs are the ones that will take action.

Back