• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Promotion and relegation 2019/20 season

For the good of football, the season should have been voided as nobody had been mathematically promoted/relegated.
For the good of football can apply to a lot of solutions, but they all had issues, someone was always going to be unhappy, if it had been voided we would have been happy but Coventry wouldn’t have been.

the proposals set out have been discussed with the clubs and can assume they knew what was coming. From that statement i take it to mean they need to be voted on and it seems a simple 51% majority will see them through.

For the good of football, the season should have been voided as nobody had been mathematically promoted/relegated.
I don't disagree but I also don't think it is black and white, it is an extremely grey area. This statement seems as though it comes from gaging the general consensus of all the clubs to the most agreeable option. You are never going to get 90% agreement let alone 100% so I think majority decision is the fairest option.

I agree with this, though I think the way they are handling it is wrong as it contradicts their own rules I think we are above suing them
Though I agree in principle, the EFL have really not done a good job this whole season, including the Bolton and Bury debacles way back in different times - if it takes lawsuits to make them start managing the game properly then perhaps they would be for the good of football?

The EFL have been poor, think that is only thing you'll get 100% agreement on.

I do think lawsuits will be harmful to the football league though, the financial hit is going to be large enough without forking out what could be millions in legal fees

I don't disagree but I also don't think it is black and white, it is an extremely grey area. This statement seems as though it comes from gaging the general consensus of all the clubs to the most agreeable option. You are never going to get 90% agreement let alone 100% so I think majority decision is the fairest option.
In most scenarios majority decision is the fairest but when you know the personal outcome of what you are voting for then that argument falls down somewhat.

If we sue we'll be laughing stock of the EFL, Tranmere have a reason to complain because they had a real chance of survival, we didn't. Lawyering up to get out of relegation on a technicality will make us look like entitled children.

If we sue we'll be laughing stock of the EFL, Tranmere have a reason to complain because they had a real chance of survival, we didn't. Lawyering up to get out of relegation on a technicality will make us look like entitled children.

And we didn’t? There was still 27 points on offer.

Absolutely nothing has changed...

As I said previously The EFL were going to put forward these two options- finish the season or PPG with same playoffs, promotion and relegation.

This is also exactly what they put to L2.

L2 then took the second option and then added that there should be no relegation - vote was 20-4

L1 will probably first agree to end the season and then they will vote for the second option. As with L2 they will look to change it-
1. To expand playoffs to teams 3-10
2. Possibly also to have no relegation. (as L2 did). Why? Well to achieve the votes for 1. Will probably need the three votes of the bottom clubs.

It’s quite possible no option will get 51% support. Without 1. Probably one of Peterborough, Sunderland will go legal. Without 2 Tranmere probably will.

Ron need do nothing at all other than side with the amended PPG option when it is clear voiding won’t happen.

All the above was the case before the EFL announcement and remains the case now.

Nothing has changed..

This may or may not be the case- much water to go under the bridge- whilst it’s easy to be a postbox for the EFL’s latest musings I think it bears reporting the various ways in which this might not happen

And we didn’t? There was still 27 points on offer.
Not really, Tranmere were 3 from safety with a game in hand, we were 16 from safety without a game in hand. Over the last 8 matches Wimbledon picked up 7 points, lets assume they get 7 points from their last 9 matches as a rough estimate and we'd need 23 out of 27 points with a team of kids, 5 of our matches being against teams in the top 8. We'd need a bigger miracle than Leicester to survive.

Not really, Tranmere were 3 from safety with a game in hand, we were 16 from safety without a game in hand. Over the last 8 matches Wimbledon picked up 7 points, lets assume they get 7 points from their last 9 matches as a rough estimate and we'd need 23 out of 27 points with a team of kids, 5 of our matches being against teams in the top 8. We'd need a bigger miracle than Leicester to survive.
Sounds like we were all set for a low mid-table finish then :Clap:

Bingo, there's the problem.

Every season you can point to a club or two that absolutely blow it at the end of a season and others that perform like Champions when they've barely picked up a point.

I mean, look at Liverpool and their form... who would have thought they would lose 3-0 at Watford and 2-0 at Chelsea?

You can't assume ANYTHING.

I agree that now it seems to be decided lets forget it and start planning for L2, but that doesn't excuse the total shambles & unfairness of making up new ways to end a season early, in the middle of that season! what should have happened, is this season should have been voided, no promotions or relegations. But agreement reached and made in to law that any future seasons that need to be ended before their natural conclusion for whatever reason, result in final placements being arrived at by pre-ordained means. I.e. if its before the half-way point, its voided. If its between half-way and three-quarters, final placings decided using PPG but no promotions or relegations. After three-quarters, PPG including promotions/relegations. Its not us being relegated I object to as such, it was 99.9% certain to happen. But making up the rule in the middle of the season is completely unfair. I can accept it if we all know the rules before the season starts.

I think us getting relegated by this system is outrageous. When I think of the effort and that day at Wembley getting promoted to just get relegated with a wimper it doesn't sit right. I know we would have got relegated if we were to continue playing but at least it was of our own making. This season should have been null and voided, ppg was not in the rules as far as I'm aware.

I agree that now it seems to be decided lets forget it and start planning for L2, but that doesn't excuse the total shambles & unfairness of making up new ways to end a season early, in the middle of that season! what should have happened, is this season should have been voided, no promotions or relegations. But agreement reached and made in to law that any future seasons that need to be ended before their natural conclusion for whatever reason, result in final placements being arrived at by pre-ordained means. I.e. if its before the half-way point, its voided. If its between half-way and three-quarters, final placings decided using PPG but no promotions or relegations. After three-quarters, PPG including promotions/relegations. Its not us being relegated I object to as such, it was 99.9% certain to happen. But making up the rule in the middle of the season is completely unfair. I can accept it if we all know the rules before the season starts.

And there is the problem - there was no contingency plan in place.

The EFL are not going to come out of this with much credibility for the rules cannot be changed during the season. There is no integrity in applying rules to which no club has been subject throughout the entire season, upon which relegation and promotion is determined.

I am not denying that we would not have been relegated, however assumptions cannot be made when there is nearly a quarter of the season, and a shed-load of points, still to play for.

This still smacks of the big clubs getting what they want and the little clubs being penalised and i don't expect any of the 'relegated' sides to just accept this . . .

Sorry to continue my rant, just wanted to add, I can't believe the Premier League and EFL don't already have a fixed ruling on how final placings & promotions & relegations should be decided if the season can't be ended. I mean the insurance industry seems to have written-in clauses to avoid paying out if there's a pandemic, so they were aware it could happen. Why not football? Its not just pandemics either. What if we came under a sustained terrorist campaign targetting large crowds? What if we had the most god-awful few months of weather from October through to March that wiped out most games? There should already be an accepted plan in place for such eventualities, it shouldn't have had to come to making it up mid-season.

Just sit back and watch the fall-out: Peterborough, Sunderland going potty, Tranmere considering their position.

Back