• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Promotion and relegation 2019/20 season

So already from Nicola Palios at Tranmere pointing out

To be very clear, the EFL Board do not decide how to end the season. They can only void the season, or ask the Clubs to change the Regulations to allow what they propose. I hope 51% of Clubs will reject their proposals as grossly unjust to
@TranmereRovers
#TRFC

As I said nothing has changed..nothing...EFL have just said what they would like nothing more.

my view...

Most of us have accepted relegation since November (or before) and fighting this in the courts would be a waste of Rons £’s.

Let’s get ourselves focused on LG2. Get the few players we need brought in to compete at the new level.

How about no win no fee?

Ridiculous, everyone knows we were going to win our remaining 9 games and the teams directly above us were going to lose all of theirs. We have a divine right to be in this division.

If we sue we'll be laughing stock of the EFL, Tranmere have a reason to complain because they had a real chance of survival, we didn't. Lawyering up to get out of relegation on a technicality will make us look like entitled children.

Never stopped expensive speeding fine lawyers getting their clients off on technicalities

You find a shortage of lawyers wanting to take this case on, especially if they need to send their kids to private school and someone else is willing to fund it!

I am afraid I dismay at the suggestion of some posters that "we deserve to be relegated".
Does Ron Martin deserve to have the club in a lower league, after keeping the club afloat using devious methods? Probably.
The senior players (including the ones who jumped/pushed deserve to have relegation on their C.V. Certainly.
How about the younger players who came in and performed better and with more pride in the club and more respect for the supporters of the Blues. Do they deserve relegation. Of course not.
The home crowd of between 5/6000 every home game, even after watching a lot dross and sub-standard performances. Do they deserve to have their team demoted. Definitely not!
The good away support given to Southend all over the country, even after some abysmal performances, yet we are still there in good numbers. Do they deserve relegation and having to watch L2 football for at least a season or two or three. No the supporters of Southend United deserve the change to ply our trade in L1.
If this chance was to happen, my personal view is that we would survive in this league.

If we sue we'll be laughing stock of the EFL, Tranmere have a reason to complain because they had a real chance of survival, we didn't. Lawyering up to get out of relegation on a technicality will make us look like entitled children.

Doesn’t matter that we had very little chance to get out of it.....we had a chance therefore those games must be played or void the season....can’t change the rules 3/4 of the way in!

Did Doncaster ever get to play their home game against Bolton? The one Bolton couldn't play because the EFL let them off due to the "player's welfare" of their young players. We should have tried that.

I am afraid I dismay at the suggestion of some posters that "we deserve to be relegated".
Does Ron Martin deserve to have the club in a lower league, after keeping the club afloat using devious methods? Probably.
The senior players (including the ones who jumped/pushed deserve to have relegation on their C.V. Certainly.
How about the younger players who came in and performed better and with more pride in the club and more respect for the supporters of the Blues. Do they deserve relegation. Of course not.
The home crowd of between 5/6000 every home game, even after watching a lot dross and sub-standard performances. Do they deserve to have their team demoted. Definitely not!
The good away support given to Southend all over the country, even after some abysmal performances, yet we are still there in good numbers. Do they deserve relegation and having to watch L2 football for at least a season or two or three. No the supporters of Southend United deserve the change to ply our trade in L1.
If this chance was to happen, my personal view is that we would survive in this league.

Off his rocker

I don't understand all this surrender bollocks and 'we deserve to be relegated' pish. If they had stopped WW2 on PPG after Dunkirk, Uncle Adolf would have won the Champions' League. Comebacks happen, just ask Lazarus. I will not accept relegation and I trust Ron (peace be upon him) to fight for our League One status.
Going down a division that you couldn't even bet on happening still as it was so statistically likely is not the same as a World War. Perspective needed here.
Maybe we'd have stayed up but I think this will actually generate goodwill and support for the club, in a division where we can do something and could actually do something and have an enjoyable season. Onside fans and a season with a chance of winning something is no bad thing. If you want to go all Churchill-ian there's your opportunity to "fight them on the beaches"

this is still far from over, it's probably going to end up in the court of arbitration in sport and they will probably uphold the existing FIFA rules for promotion and relegation which state that it takes place at the end of the season, the EFL haven't got a way for ending this season according to their rulebook so it should be declared voided.

this is going to rumble on for a very very very long time

I'm more concerned what our punishment will be for late payment of wages & fielding an illegitimate player ( albeit for only a few mins )?.
IF it's a points deduction ( who knows? ), def dont that yardstick at start of next season, when-ever that will be?.

I'm more concerned what our punishment will be for late payment of wages & fielding an illegitimate player ( albeit for only a few mins )?.
IF it's a points deduction ( who knows? ), def dont that yardstick at start of next season, when-ever that will be?.

If his parents sincerely promise to get married as soon as the Register Offices open for business again, do you think the EFL will let us off?

Just for clarity the vote to change is for all 71 clubs not just league 1 i believe. The new rules would apply to all divisions or thats how i have taken it. So its a majority of the 71 clubs in the EFL.

I had the misfortune to follow two clubs this season, which found themselves with similar relegation problems before the games were interrupted. There are one or two interesting parallels. When the season came to abrupt halt in March Toulouse fc (tfc) had lost six consecutive matches and the League One table looked like this.........

Classement Ligue 1 2019-2020

ratio pts J.G.N.P.p.c.+/- G. N. P.
1 Paris-SG 2.52 68 2722237524+51

2 Marseille 2.00 56 2816844129+12

3 Rennes 1.79 50 2815583824+14

4 Lille 1.75 49 2815493527+8

5 Nice 1.46 41 2811894138+3

6 Reims 1.46 41 28101172621+5

7 Lyon 1.43 40 28117104227+15

8 Montpellier 1.43 40 28117103534+1

9 Monaco 1.43 40 281171044440

10 Strasbourg 1.41 38 271151132320

11 Angers 1.39 39 28116112833-5

12 Bordeaux 1.32 37 2891094034+6

13 Nantes 1.32 37 28114132831-3

14 Brest 1.21 34 28810103437-3

15 Metz 1.21 34 28810102735-8

16 Dijon 1.07 30 2879122737-10

17 Saint-Étienne 1.07 30 2886142945-16

18 Nîmes 0.96 27 2876152944-15

19 Amiens 0.82 23 28411133150-19

20 Toulouse 0.46 13 2834212258-36

Ten points adrift at the bottom, the government ordered an end to the season. I think the League decided to finish the season by giving out a ratio of points for the remaining games. Tfc were announced to be relegated along with Amiens.......who are contesting the decision. There has been silence from tfc and one wondered why, because owner Olivier Sadran had, intitially, announced his displeasure at the decision and was considering contesting it. The reason for the silence??? Tfc have now announced they are in the process of selling an 85% stake in the club to RedBird (USA) investments. Don't know what the future holds in store for them or what the investment company's plans are? Uncertainty on both sides of the Channel!

Going down a division that you couldn't even bet on happening still as it was so statistically likely is not the same as a World War. Perspective needed here.
Maybe we'd have stayed up but I think this will actually generate goodwill and support for the club, in a division where we can do something and could actually do something and have an enjoyable season. Onside fans and a season with a chance of winning something is no bad thing. If you want to go all Churchill-ian there's your opportunity to "fight them on the beaches"
Quite. Legal technicalities aside, if you genuinely believe we would have stayed up (and deserved to do so) if the season had played out, there is professional help available out there.

Just for clarity the vote to change is for all 71 clubs not just league 1 i believe. The new rules would apply to all divisions or thats how i have taken it. So its a majority of the 71 clubs in the EFL.
Yes that’s my understanding too. BTW from a fairly detailed Twitter conversation with Nicola Palios at Tranmere their reading is exactly as mine on the competition rules and the debacle generally. My belief is that they will push for a promotions and no relegations solution (Mark Palios is supposedly crafting a proposal I hear on TalkSport)

If L1 voted for promotions and no relegations given that L2 already have then the EFL will have a problem- it’s not the EFL’s decision ultimately if the are changing the rules

Back