• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Promotion and relegation 2019/20 season

The trace, track and isolate rules would suggest that anyone found to have had significant contact with the infected person will have to isolate for 14 days too. Depending on how that significance is calculated it could mean groups of players could be out for 14 days. I wouldn’t be surprised if govt manadate players use the app if allowed to go back.
Nor would i, but as yet it isnt stated they will. Also read somewhere that’s the players isolate for 7 days so who knows what’s correct

It’s just an absolute mess. It’s embarrassing that we are the only remaining country without a solution.
No, it's not fully sorted out here in France. I now understand that three sides are launching an appeal against their cases rejection on the way the league arranged the curtailed season. The government helped the French Football Association by terminating the season thus puting pay to any silly ideas of trying to fulfill the remaining fixtures. Handed this apparent 'get out of jail' card, the FFA then proceeded to get their knickers in a twist by determining the season on predicted points, thus bringing the consequential court action. I suppose you would need detailed knowledge of the FFA rules to understand the strength of any court action taken.

No, it's not fully sorted out here in France. I now understand that three sides are launching an appeal against their cases rejection on the way the league arranged the curtailed season. The government helped the French Football Association by terminating the season thus puting pay to any silly ideas of trying to fulfill the remaining fixtures. Handed this apparent 'get out of jail' card, the FFA then proceeded to get their knickers in a twist by determining the season on predicted points, thus bringing the consequential court action. I suppose you would need detailed knowledge of the FFA rules to understand the strength of any court action taken.

It’s still a million miles ahead of English leagues.

Only those testing positive isolate as i understand it, similar to how other countries have done it.

as for players not wanting to play guess thats there choice and if the clubs are happy for it
I’m sure there are huge numbers who don’t want to be playing,but can’t afford to say so.
And as for clubs being happy with it, ........as an e.g....Watford must be deliriously happy to be fighting relegation without Troy Deeney.

I’m sure there are huge numbers who don’t want to be playing,but can’t afford to say so.
And as for clubs being happy with it, ........as an e.g....Watford must be deliriously happy to be fighting relegation without Troy Deeney.
they could force him to play but that would be wrong, but if he doesn’t want to and they are happy for him not too then thats their call, came for Chelsea with Kante. I am not saying it is right but it is a choice all players can make, some seem very happy to return some seem not too. The more voiceful seem to be those at the bottom of the division but then i dont blame them.

Troy Deeney seems a decent bloke, and he has his reasons for not playing and personally i think they are great reasons, I would do the same. However as someone said the other day on TV he didnt mention his son’s illness prior to that interview, now I dont think he had too personally, but if your bringing it into a debate the question will be asked. The cyclical person on TV also said maybe its because he has a 30% wage reduction clause in his contract that he doesn’t want to play. Again if that were true, and i doubt it is, it all comes down to money

I think most players in the prem can afford to say no financially, that won’t be the case at some championship clubs and L1 and L2 clubs for sure.

It was always going to come down to money at all levels and sadly it has.

Please do not think I am endorsing returning or condoning actions i am just commenting.

Yes I work in football, am I happy with what’s going on the answer is NO, have i thought about leaving my job the answer is YES, I am falling out of love with the game.

Only 1 countries government said officially end the season as i understand, that was the Dutch, one league said lets end and all the terms agreed but with a discussion around how things could be done amicably that was Belgium. The rest have cobbled along, the Scots took ages and had in fighting over certain issues that had things to do with and not to do with COVID, the Spanish and Italian plan to continue soon, The Germans have, the prem and Champ will do it seems at present (although who really knows). The french league was stopped, do no think the government officially said end but gave an indication and the league took the option (not up on french things so much as lots been going on here).

But at the end of the day its all about money all over the Europe for football (don't forget Champions league and Europa league are due to finish in August i think thats the right month), this at the top wont agree with those at the bottom when in reality everyone should sit down and think what’s best long term for everybody, alas they wont.

As I say I am not condoning whats being said or endorsing anything, just commenting and adding a view point which may or may not be agreed with

they could force him to play but that would be wrong, but if he doesn’t want to and they are happy for him not too then thats their call, came for Chelsea with Kante. I am not saying it is right but it is a choice all players can make, some seem very happy to return some seem not too. The more voiceful seem to be those at the bottom of the division but then i dont blame them.

Troy Deeney seems a decent bloke, and he has his reasons for not playing and personally i think they are great reasons, I would do the same. However as someone said the other day on TV he didnt mention his son’s illness prior to that interview, now I dont think he had too personally, but if your bringing it into a debate the question will be asked. The cyclical person on TV also said maybe its because he has a 30% wage reduction clause in his contract that he doesn’t want to play. Again if that were true, and i doubt it is, it all comes down to money

I think most players in the prem can afford to say no financially, that won’t be the case at some championship clubs and L1 and L2 clubs for sure.

It was always going to come down to money at all levels and sadly it has.

Please do not think I am endorsing returning or condoning actions i am just commenting.

Yes I work in football, am I happy with what’s going on the answer is NO, have i thought about leaving my job the answer is YES, I am falling out of love with the game.

Only 1 countries government said officially end the season as i understand, that was the Dutch, one league said lets end and all the terms agreed but with a discussion around how things could be done amicably that was Belgium. The rest have cobbled along, the Scots took ages and had in fighting over certain issues that had things to do with and not to do with COVID, the Spanish and Italian plan to continue soon, The Germans have, the prem and Champ will do it seems at present (although who really knows). The french league was stopped, do not think the government officially said end but gave an indication and the league took the option (not up on french things so much as lots been going on here).

But at the end of the day its all about money all over the Europe for football (don't forget Champions league and Europa league are due to finish in August i think thats the right month), this at the top wont agree with those at the bottom when in reality everyone should sit down and think what’s best long term for everybody, alas they wont.

As I say I am not condoning whats being said or endorsing anything, just commenting and adding a view point which may or may not be agreed with
Sorry to be nitpicking on your excellent post................but:Smile:

Sorry, I'm not going to provide a translation!:Smile2: However, it does say that there will be no sporting events in France until September.

Last edited:
That being the Lincoln game we'll lose the 3 points from?
So what that doesnt take away from the manner they played and the way they celebrated at the end of the game.I dont think that 3 points would have saved us from relegation either .

Dropping like flies I seem to have read in the last couple of pages to 7 or 8 positive tests from almost 2000 tests from the Perm and Championship.

Its this total over reaction that has the whole world paralyzed, and also shows how low the actual infection is outside of the hospital environment now.

Yes, do the tests, isolate those infected, but let’s start getting on with life before more pain and suffering is caused through suicides, domestic violence and enforced poverty.

Sorry to be nitpicking on your excellent post................but:Smile:

Sorry, I'm not going to provide a translation!:Smile2: However, it does say that there will be no sporting events in France until September.
As I said I didn’t think so wasn’t stating a certainty

I know it will surprise no-one but don't expect a decision from the utter shambles anytime this week re L1/2.

Clubs are expected to receive recommendations (again) from the EFL by tomorrow (Tuesday). EFL Board will meet (yet again) Wednesday to review club feedback (no doubt to ignoring any bits they don't like). Proposals need to be developed before giving notice of an EGM for clubs to vote, but sometime prior to this there needs to be the L1 vote to say what they want.

Its impossible to know how clubs will vote other than driven by self interest as opposed to any attempt to provide fairness or the now mythical sporting integrity.

The season will clearly end as the EFL have effectively timed it out. So the big issue is PPG and relegation.

Teams 7-10 wont go legal. If they succeeded in law any ruling likely would stop all promotions and relegations so there is no outcome that would get them promoted.

Existing top 6 (assuming they are not living on Mars) will be worried about the Tranmere situation as now the only way they wont get promoted or in the playoffs is if Tranmere go to court and get relegation stopped (because promotions may be stopped also). Even if they think this chance is low it makes sense for the top 6 to support Tranmere to take the risk off the table.

Bolton and Southend will support Tranmere.

That's 9 votes. Out of the remaining 14 cubs they need 4 to support. There is at least a couple according to TalkSport.

EFL response- keep that can going down the road, dither, delay, block Tranmere fans and anyone who mentions Tranmere from their Instagram account, block them on Twitter.

Anyway don't hold your breath..

Last edited:
I know it will surprise no-one but don't expect a decision from the utter shambles anytime this week re L1/2.

Clubs are expected to receive recommendations (again) from the EFL by tomorrow (Tuesday). EFL Board will meet (yet again) Wednesday to review club feedback (no doubt to ignoring any bits they don't like). Proposals need to be developed before giving notice of an EGM for clubs to vote, but sometime prior to this there needs to be the L1 vote to say what they want.

Its impossible to know how clubs will vote other than driven by self interest as opposed to any attempt to provide fairness or the now mythical sporting integrity.

The season will clearly end as the EFL have effectively timed it out. So the big issue is PPG and relegation.

Teams 6-10 wont go legal. If they succeeded in law any ruling likely would stop all promotions and relegations so there is no outcome that would get them promoted.

Existing top 6 (assuming they are not living on Mars) will be worried about the Tranmere situation as now the only way they wont get promoted or in the playoffs is if Tranmere go to court and get relegation stopped (because promotions may be stopped also). Even if they think this chance is low it makes sense for the top 6 to support Tranmere to take the risk off the table.

Bolton and Southend will support Tranmere.

That 9 votes. Out of the remaining 14 cubs they need 4 to support. There is at least a couple according to TalkSport.

EFL response- keep that can going down the road, dither, delay, block Tranmere fans and anyone who mentions Tranmere from their Instagram account, block them on Twitter.

Anyway don't hold your breath..

I need yet again to refer you back to the increasingly obvious and extremely fair solution to the issue (see page 43,post number 860).
In our league I can’t think anyone could seriously contemplate legal action and the vote would be 13 to 10 in favour.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need yet again to refer you back to the increasingly obvious and extremely fair solution to the issue (see page 43,post number 860).
In our league I can’t think anyone could seriously contemplate legal action and the vote would be 13 to 10 in favour.
You cannot treat clubs differently, if promotion happens for some it has to happen for all, same for relegation.

the avenues that would open to legal cases its mind boggling

Really?
Posh have already fired a shot across the bows as far as that goes. And if we're assuming a first past the post vote: 13-10 will do it.

Coventry sit 8 points ahead of Wycombe in 8th place, 7 points ahead of 3 teams on 60 points albeit with a game in hand. I’m not sure how this would be “clearly deserved” in anyone’s book. I really can’t see how they can base promotion or relegation on anything but games played. No team below the PL was guaranteed promotion or relegation. History is littered with teams who’ve bottled it or gone on late unbeaten runs.

Dropping like flies I seem to have read in the last couple of pages to 7 or 8 positive tests from almost 2000 tests from the Perm and Championship.

Its this total over reaction that has the whole world paralyzed, and also shows how low the actual infection is outside of the hospital environment now.

Yes, do the tests, isolate those infected, but let’s start getting on with life before more pain and suffering is caused through suicides, domestic violence and enforced poverty.
Add to that depression ,which can be a killer too.

Your solution is another version of what Tranmere are asking for (Promotion on merit and no relegation). The difference is rather than the solution based on PPG to promote automatics and determine 4 playoff teams, and no relegations (which is what has now gone to EFL as a proposal in at least a couple of different forms) you want to use a measure of who is far enough ahead, or close enough to not being relegated, to identify who goes up and down. It has merit and is a version promotion and relegation that has merit generally. But it is not what has gone to the EFL- and Tranmere believe the principle has to be that all relegations under PPG are unfair (they have sufficient integrity not to try and propose something that just works for them- although its unlikely the EFL understand the concept of being principled). I am not knocking your proposal but not sure there is a way of you getting it on the EFL agenda :-)

I think there is a real chance of a vote in favour for the proposal actually before the EFL (but if yours was the proposal in town it might also succeed- probably we will never know).

I think legal action will likely follow from Tranmere if they don't get it sorted- and why should they not? There is strong support for their position and Nicola Palios (30 years a barrister/lawyer) has been clear that they will go there if they have to because their case is so strong. There are at least three strong grounds for action. Of course it could be a bluff- but to say its not a very serious contemplation would be to misjudge their determination I think. And the EWFL will not take them seriously at their peril.

Back