• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Promotion and relegation 2019/20 season

I will let you draw your own conclusions. Mine are that the EFL is in free fall and a new organisation under new leadership is becoming all but inevitable. Tranmere are not my club but the way the EFL is treating them and their supporters is an embarrassment to football- and some question why Tranmere are adamant they will go legal if need be..

Oh the gift that keeps on giving- the local Tranmere MP just happens, per chance, to be Shadow Sports Minister. He is not happy. Not happy at all..

Amidst all this talk about how the EFL will finish the season for the 3 divisions... and this evening the Malta FA has managed (somehow) to sink to a new low with their decisions on the Premier League.

They have allowed bottom club Tarxien Rainbows to stay up, even though they were mathematically relegated when the season was halted... yet they have awarded the title to top club Floriana when they had a 3 point lead with 6 games remaining. Their form was not looking good while Valletta - in 2nd place - were on a great run.

Oh, and the celebrations by Floriana fans this evening were a disgrace... going against all laws about mass gathering, breaking social distancing... all a stone's throw from the nation's police HQ.

Amidst all this talk about how the EFL will finish the season for the 3 divisions... and this evening the Malta FA has managed (somehow) to sink to a new low with their decisions on the Premier League.

They have allowed bottom club Tarxien Rainbows to stay up, even though they were mathematically relegated when the season was halted... yet they have awarded the title to top club Floriana when they had a 3 point lead with 6 games remaining. Their form was not looking good while Valletta - in 2nd place - were on a great run.

Oh, and the celebrations by Floriana fans this evening were a disgrace... going against all laws about mass gathering, breaking social distancing... all a stone's throw from the nation's police HQ.
Do they still play most of the games at the Ta’Qali stadium? When my folks lived there we used to go quite often.

I was asked to trail for Tarxien many moons ago, was on a family holiday before my folks moved out there and i was having a kick about with my brothers and someone stopped and asked my dad if i could go training with them for a few days. Folks lived in St Andrews, I spent most nights on holiday in St Julians or Buggiba at clubs, also a great Restaurant in Madliena called Madliena Cottage

Do they still play most of the games at the Ta’Qali stadium? When my folks lived there we used to go quite often.

I was asked to trail for Tarxien many moons ago, was on a family holiday before my folks moved out there and i was having a kick about with my brothers and someone stopped and asked my dad if i could go training with them for a few days. Folks lived in St Andrews, I spent most nights on holiday in St Julians or Buggiba at clubs, also a great Restaurant in Madliena called Madliena Cottage
The 'bigger' games are played at Ta' Qali National Stadium. Then the 2 other grounds used mostly for Prem fixtures are the Centenary Stadium (literally across a narrow road from the afore mentioned) and Victor Tadesco ground in Hamrun.

Maddliena Cottage is still going. Quite a posh place now I believe.

The 'bigger' games are played at Ta' Qali National Stadium. Then the 2 other grounds used mostly for Prem fixtures are the Centenary Stadium (literally across a narrow road from the afore mentioned) and Victor Tadesco ground in Hamrun.

Maddliena Cottage is still going. Quite a posh place now I believe.
Madlienas was for the time i guess back then

Hamrun Spartans they we’re the big team back then

anyway back on topic lol

Reading this morning when i started work that AZ are contacting UEFA to see if they can interject on the decision to award Ajax the title, they are also considering legal options, one being under the banner of under FIFA and UEFA rules political decisions cannot interfere with football or something, have to be up front i am not up on that side of things.

Also see a french team is contacting their government and maybe UEFA to undo the decisions made there as they are now loosening up there country.

We may not be the only ones in turmoil soon ;) (notice the wink i say that tongue in cheek)

Last edited:
Really?
Posh have already fired a shot across the bows as far as that goes. And if we're assuming a first past the post vote: 13-10 will do it.

You’ve misunderstood here.
The majority 13 would happily accept that Coventry have done more than enough to be promoted and back this sensible solution.
Only 10 clubs,of whom most, like Peterborough, proclaim mythical hopes for some sort of ludicrous play-off set-up success.
Their chances of legal success would also be flimsy.
Not so Tranmere’s,the situation at the bottom end is highly debatable, even Blues fans are trying to present some sort of argument!

Reading this morning when i started work that AZ are contacting UEFA to see if they can interject on the decision to award Ajax the title, they are also considering legal options, one being under the banner of under FIFA and UEFA rules political decisions cannot interfere with football or something, have to be up front i am not up on that side of things.

Also see a french team is contacting their government and maybe UEFA to undo the decisions made there as they are now loosening up there country.

We may not be the only ones in turmoil soon ;) (notice the wink i say that tongue in cheek)

For further info on the situation of Lyon (in english!)

https://scroll.in/field/962956/coro...1-season-early-before-french-council-of-state

Haven't heard anything new about the situation of relegation with Toulouse and Amiens. Looks like, for many of the different Leagues, the more they try and tie up loose ends, the more they appear to tie themselves up in knots.

They could possibly have a case, government interference in national football associations is punishable I believe. Didn’t Nigeria or some other African country get a fine and a ban from international competition because the Government forcibly removed the head of their FA?

Either way, but of a different situation here perhaps. Did the French govt directly tell the FFA that the season had to be cancelled? Or did the FFA take the French govts indirect announcement of no mass gatherings until September as carte blanche for them to make their own decision to cancel?

They could possibly have a case, government interference in national football associations is punishable I believe. Didn’t Nigeria or some other African country get a fine and a ban from international competition because the Government forcibly removed the head of their FA?

Either way, but of a different situation here perhaps. Did the French govt directly tell the FFA that the season had to be cancelled? Or did the FFA take the French govts indirect announcement of no mass gatherings until September as carte blanche for them to make their own decision to cancel?
I was getting at that maybe our government didnt get involved for that reason?

will be interesting to see how this plays out, could be worse than here lol.

I am laughing as it is so laughable now and i am getting so fed up. I dread going to meetings lol

Bristol Rovers sticks out there since they have nothing to play for. The expectation that they'll want to carry on the season seems to be based on the fact their manager is relatively new and they were banking on their mid table position meaning he'd get a run of pressure free games to get to know the team, but surely the financial costs outweigh the benefits of that?

As far as the FFA was concerned, I think it was the latter. Could that difference have important ramifications for how any legal action plays out?

Image two more vote to play on, but one didn’t vote so it’s 11 vs 11 to decide which option to go for ?

but playing on will cost clubs £400k each

Quite an interesting read

Is a good read.

if they play on the hiome and away i do not think any teams in the championship or Prem will take action. But i say that and think who knows as it is all about money and some will find something to look into to save the gravy train

Is a good read.

if they play on the hiome and away i do not think any teams in the championship or Prem will take action. But i say that and think who knows as it is all about money and some will find something to look into to save the gravy train

If Prem and Championship complete that really minimises it I think.

The trouble they have more generally is that the EFL is a limited company and effectively the rules and regulations at the beginning of the season were a contract between them and the individual clubs.

If they then change those rules mid season and it adversely affects that club (e.g. Tranmere) then that club has a strong case. In simple terms they contract with each club that promotion and relegation would happen only if the season is completed and now they are saying something different- hence then Tranmere or whoever has a strong case in law per the article. (this we have known all along of course)

It is then further not helped by the EFL trying to make changes to their competition rules/articles mid season when those same rules/articles it appears provide that such changes can only be for the, or a, following season notwithstanding the above.

Its then further complicated by the argument that as a limited company the EFL is governed by the Companies Act that provides, it would seem, that such changes requires a 75% vote in favour (EFL know they can't get that so changed the requirement to 51%).

So all in all mess- as the article says probably now avoiding legal challenges is all but impossible. Still they don't have to present lawyers with such unnecessary open goals..

We shall see- they might somehow get lucky (although it would be luck they singularly don't deserve..)

Back