• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Promotion and relegation 2019/20 season

well this season there were less relegation slots because Bury were expelled from the league, I guess it depends on whether the EFL decide to expel teams or simply place them under a transfer embargo / deduct points / fine clubs with no money.
By EFL's own rules they had two options- one to stop the season with no relegation and promotion or two complete the season.

There is the argument that as they wont do the first (at least with out a trip to see the beak) they should do the latter. The clubs in the relegation zone could argue that if the season ended then at least three maybe more clubs would go into administration (tough) and hence would have an immediate 12? point deduction and further deductions for non-fulfilment of fixtures. Hence, however unlikely survival may seem these clubs are being denied yet another route to avoid relegation.

The EFL would probably argue that they now wont apply any penalties for anything as its a very bad idea- hard luck Bury

I guess another twist in this saga could be some clubs going out of business as unable to weather this storm. If this happens will they get relegated (potentially instead of us) or will the relegations happen and then L1 be short of these clubs

Wycombe has recently received US backers. This is a statement from their chairman outlining their financial position. In summary they are losing £350,000 a month. And they are a small, well run club.

Wycombe has recently received US backers. This is a statement from their chairman outlining their financial position. In summary they are losing £350,000 a month. And they are a small, well run club.

Hopefully for Wycombe and their fans that £%)k is just during the current situation, otherwise even with investment thats a lot to trim. It is what around 2 times as much as what we Lose each month

Hopefully for Wycombe and their fans that £%)k is just during the current situation, otherwise even with investment thats a lot to trim. It is what around 2 times as much as what we Lose each month
Look like Wycombe have overspend on what they haven’t got ??‍♂️

So it appears the EFL has been somewhat surprised by the number of proposed alternative amendments to their highly flawed proposals. As always the surprise is that they are surprised.

They are holding today a meeting (for a change) to review all the feedback. It appears this may or may not necessitate Mondays vote being delayed....

So it appears the EFL has been somewhat surprised by the number of proposed alternative amendments to their highly flawed proposals. As always the surprise is that they are surprised.

They are holding today a meeting (for a change) to review all the feedback. It appears this may or may not necessitate Mondays vote being delayed....
Indeed, i have been busy the last 24/36 hours so not on much.

I tell you what though word around I’d that they dont have much time for Mr Palios

Indeed, i have been busy the last 24/36 hours so not on much.

I tell you what though word around I’d that they dont have much time for Mr Palios
:-) I suspect that will not bother him too much. Being not liked by the EFL is almost a badge of honour to be proudly worn..

:-) I suspect that will not bother him too much. Being not liked by the EFL is almost a badge of honour to be proudly worn..
Lol yes, think it is maybe both sides that do not hold him to highly or thats what I hear.

I would not be surprised in Monday becomes Wednesday at this rate

Lol yes, think it is maybe both sides that do not hold him to highly or thats what I hear.

I would not be surprised in Monday becomes Wednesday at this rate
I believe the ballot papers have to arrive allowing 5 days before the vote- so next Monday deadline now gone. I am sure they would like to get the ballot papers out tomorrow so the vote is done prior to their next Wed board meeting. But the suggestions they have received I think mean the vote has been turned into a car crash they can see happening in the distance but can't avoid. Self-inflicted.

I think they have no choice but to put the amendments/proposals to the clubs- so guess the delay is 1) pleading with individual clubs to withdraw their amendments/proposals 2) finding ways to consolidate amendments/proposals to limit the number of votes/shorten discussions. This may also require negotiating/pleading with the relevant clubs.

Bearing in mind they need a 51% majority (actually probably 75% by their own articles but that's a legal argument for another day) then there has to be a real possibility of the vote not being conclusive when it does happen.

Of course let us rememnber the vote is a vote about trying to make it possible to have a vote. The three divisions need to subsequently have a vote to decide what happens in their leagues..

I believe the ballot papers have to arrive allowing 5 days before the vote- so next Monday deadline now gone. I am sure they would like to get the ballot papers out tomorrow so the vote is done prior to their next Wed board meeting. But the suggestions they have received I think mean the vote has been turned into a car crash they can see happening in the distance but can't avoid. Self-inflicted.

I think they have no choice but to put the amendments/proposals to the clubs- so guess the delay is 1) pleading with individual clubs to withdraw their amendments/proposals 2) finding ways to consolidate amendments/proposals to limit the number of votes/shorten discussions. This may also require negotiating/pleading with the relevant clubs.

Bearing in mind they need a 51% majority (actually probably 75% by their own articles but that's a legal argument for another day) then there has to be a real possibility of the vote not being conclusive when it does happen.

Of course let us rememnber the vote is a vote about trying to make it possible to have a vote. The three divisions need to subsequently have a vote to decide what happens in their leagues..
They said they would add any suggested alternatives so they do not have many options but to add them.

So voting next Tues it appears:

1. The EFL Framework - PPG, automatics, 4 in playoff, relegations

2. Barnsley’s proposal of no relegation

3. Tranmere’s ‘Margin For Error’ proposal of promotion & some relegation (more details: http://tinyurl.com/y8vvhr3b)

Additionally some ‘amendments’ will also be considered!!! These are to the EFL preferred option by the looks of it- so changing to weighted PPG, extending playoffs. no relegation L2 or wider, how to apply PPG where clubs have penalties.

FWIW worth some form of EFL preferred framework most likely but with the possibility it gets amended in some way.

The Tranmere option has got too clever for itself and creates to many losers, and as it would apply to all 3 divisions its failing become more apparent applied there - teams in automatics suddenly in the playoffs (including Leeds & WBA!), the teams in the playoffs of 4 under EFL option suddenly find themselves in playoffs of 8 or 9 (why would they vote for that), and relegated teams not saved have no reason to either?? Or is it me?

Note the default is to complete the seasons so this vote is about what happens if individual leagues vote to curtail- subject to separate divisional votes

Last edited:

3. Tranmere’s ‘Margin For Error’ proposal of promotion & some relegation (more details: http://tinyurl.com/y8vvhr3b)

Additionally some ‘amendments’ will also be considered!!! These are to the EFL preferred option by the looks of it- so changing to weighted PPG, extending playoffs. no relegation L2 or wider, how to apply PPG where clubs have penalties.

FWIW worth some form of EFL preferred framework most likely but with the possibility it gets amended in some way.

The Tranmere option has got too clever for itself and creates to many losers, and as it would apply to all 3 divisions its failing become more apparent applied there - teams in automatics suddenly in the playoffs (including Leeds & WBA!), the teams in the playoffs of 4 under EFL option suddenly find themselves in playoffs of 8 or 9 (why would they vote for that), and relegated teams not saved have no reason to either?? Or is it me?

Note the default is to complete the seasons so this vote is about what happens if individual leagues vote to curtail- subject to separate divisional votes
Problem for the TRanmere proposal is that teams negatively affected by the margin wont vote if they lose out, you cant have 8 teams in a promotion playoff situation, might as well have the top half all play off and the bottom half for relegation (said tongue in cheek).

Barnsley is a self interest one like most other suggestions, they cannot afford to go down full stop, have even suggested a parachute payment of 8 million if they have relegation. But that, in my opinion, will be more popular than Tranmere’s and could get voted. Problem I see is the EFL and Fa stance of promotion and relegation, prem teams will kick up a stick if the EFL dont have relegations, the Leeds and West Brom and a fair few more will look at legal actionGoing to be quite an entertaining, on a sad note for football, 7-10 days or so

Problem for the TRanmere proposal is that teams negatively affected by the margin wont vote if they lose out, you cant have 8 teams in a promotion playoff situation, might as well have the top half all play off and the bottom half for relegation (said tongue in cheek).

Barnsley is a self interest one like most other suggestions, they cannot afford to go down full stop, have even suggested a parachute payment of 8 million if they have relegation. But that, in my opinion, will be more popular than Tranmere’s and could get voted. Problem I see is the EFL and Fa stance of promotion and relegation, prem teams will kick up a stick if the EFL dont have relegations, the Leeds and West Brom and a fair few more will look at legal actionGoing to be quite an entertaining, on a sad note for football, 7-10 days or so
Quite entertaining?
In all the years I have been on Shrimperzone, this thread has been the closest thing to root canal treatment at the dentist. No, at least with the dentist I knew when it was coming to an end.

Quite entertaining?
In all the years I have been on Shrimperzone, this thread has been the closest thing to root canal treatment at the dentist. No, at least with the dentist I knew when it was coming to an end.
I wasnt talking about the thread, i was talking in general and tongue in cheek about what will happen with the EFL and its plan as after the vote (if it actually takes place and has a clear majority of 51% on one of the options)

Well, that is an elaborate proposal for Tranmere to avoid relegation haha. Ridiculously obvious what they are trying to do tbh...very self-serving. Makes me want them to get relegated tbh

I think most would go for Barnsley options (Number 2)
They will, but then there are issues with the FA and Orem league, FA insist on Promotion and relegation, if that doesn’t happen Prem clubs will refuse to come down and there for as it stands there would be no promotion from the championship (lot of resistance to a 23 team proem league). That then means no promotion anywhere and that may cause more issues

Back