• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Promotion and relegation 2019/20 season

So FIFA have now approved extension of players contracts until the season is able to finish whenever that maybe.

Looks like it could get a bit messy to me.

Does this mean that clubs have to keep paying players whose contracts they would not have renewed ?

Does this mean that clubs have to keep paying players whose contracts they would not have renewed ?

No- it is misleading to say approved as they have no ability or power to approve anything. They are "encouraging" and "suggesting" clubs and players negotiate extensions but these have to been done individually and its quite possible either party wont want to- or in the case of clubs not be able to afford to as no moneys are being mentioned to pay for any of this. So all they are really saying is if you do it we will allow it, and actually it would be a good idea. If a player wants to extend and you don't want to we would like to see a good reason why (amongst the possible reasons is the club is broke and can't afford to- you can see where all this would end up.. as jackj13 says messy in the extreme..)

I think its all about the top leagues (ie Prem) now- they have the £££ and huge squads to do this and 90% of the the TV money is there. There not saying it but I dont think they are that bothered re clubs at EFL level who will struggle to do this and are more interested in staying afloat..

Last edited:
What a mess this is - a decision to void the season has to be made asap.
Could end it as is also I guess

the delay is down to UEFA now isn’t it? The EFL will want to follow their guidance and they want to finish the season even if in July I thought I read

No training until May 16th at the earliest.

Given the lengthy lay-off, the training time would, i guess be, be 2-4 weeks.

If it's the latter, the season would resume around mid-June, with 11/12 matches played over 8 weeks in the hottest part of the year.

And that's best case scenario - not sure I can see this season being completed with all the above taken into consideration.

It could surely be done quicker than 56 days?

9 games remaining in Championship.

(1st) Sat-Wed-Sat
(15th) Sat-Wed-Sat
(29th) Sat-Wed-Sat

Play off legs between following Wednesday-Sunday

Final week later

Would that be quicker?

Given the lengthy lay-off, the training time would, i guess be, be 2-4 weeks.

If it's the latter, the season would resume around mid-June, with 11/12 matches played over 8 weeks in the hottest part of the year.

And that's best case scenario - not sure I can see this season being completed with all the above taken into consideration.

How about Friday night 20:00 hrs KO

It of course assumes no player comes down with the virus and numbers of the squads don’t have to self isolate.

They play a match- they cuddle and wrestle in the penalty areas, kiss cuddle and exchange fluids after every goal..and then one of the players tests positive- so 30 players self isolate for the next 7 days and so on.

Why football thinks it’s so very very special that the rules that will apply to everyone else won’t be applying to them is not clear.

Wonder what will happen if a club refuses to play a fixture/s for player health and safety reasons?

Bet there are some lawyers sharpening their pencils

Wonder what will happen if a club refuses to play a fixture/s for player health and safety reasons?

Bet there are some lawyers sharpening their pencils
Or can’t put out a team because of players self isolating..

Surely to restart the season all players need testing to see whether they’ve had Covid-19. If that testing is available by then it will be far easier. Can definitely see games played behind closed doors at first. Can’t see how football crowds can be deemed anywhere near “safe”.

It of course assumes no player comes down with the virus and numbers of the squads don’t have to self isolate.
They play a match- and then one of the players tests positive- so 30 players self isolate for the next 7 days and so on.

Exactly, & the odds of all league teams playing 9-10 games in under 2 months, without any players testing positive???.

I wonder if a solution might be to play out the remaining fixtures for this season whenever it is safe to do so. Then have a shortened special season for 2020/21 with fewer fixtures with perhaps only playing each side once.

Back