• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Promotion & Relegation 2018/19

I know it seems a bit early .................... but the season gets under way quite soon.

Who have you got your eye on for promotion & relegation? Saying Southend United (for promotion) is rather obvious (and quite pleasing) .................... but I understand that the bookies have

Sunderland
Barnsley
Charlton &
Portsmouth

as favourites to go up. That would be 2 of the 3 teams that came down and (if the bookies are right) seems to be setting a rather stagnating trend.

As for relegation ............. I am sure Accers (with their limited resources) will be on some people's radar. An unlikely choice might be Braford who have had massive changes in personnel and Wimbledon struggled last season as well. And I wonder how Blackpool will get on.

Going up I reckon; Sunderland, Portsmouth, Plymouth

Going down I reckon; Blackpool, Scunthorpe, Gillingham and Walsall

Going up,
Us, Coventry, , Portsmouth.
Going down,
Wimbledon, Gillingham, Burton, Plymouth.

Last edited:
Sunderland Portsmouth and Charlton to go up
Fleetwood, Accrington Stanley,Walsall & Gillingham to go down

Ah yes - I had forgotten about Fleetwood. I think they were mad to get rid of Rosler ...... and we shall see how Barton does.

Sunderland and Barnsley to go up automatically, I'd hope we join them via the playoffs.

Think the three W's: Wimbledon, Wycombe and Walsall will struggle, I would have put Bradford with them but Scannell and Payne will probably keep them up even with an unproven manager that's likely been promoted from the youth setup to save money, if they sell Wyke though they'll still struggle. Plymouth collapsed at the end of the season so I think they might struggle this year.

Cant see beyond Sunderland for the title
With Charlton , Barnsley, Coventry and Portsmouth scrapping for the other two places
Gills , Wycombe Walsall and Fleetwood to drop

as for us, 8-11th

I'm not so sure about Barnsley - they had a pretty turbulent year off the pitch and have an inexperienced new foreign manager so it might take them a while to adjust.

Along with the obvious choice of Sunderland, I'd expect Bradford, Peterborough and Luton to be challenging for at least the play-offs with the signings they've made. Think Oxford could challenge too, and hopefully us!

Relegation-wise, I think Wimbledon, Rochdale and Walsall will be down there again. You have to think Accrington will struggle and I think Shrewsbury could find next season tough having lost their manager and a number of their better players.

Good point about Shrewsbury - lost their manager and some players. They did so well last year and sometimes it happens that things don't quite work out the next.

I know it is different (because of our financial position) but that happened to us, didn't it? Play-offs one season and then relegated to division 4 (now renamed League 2) the next.

I'm not so sure about Barnsley - they had a pretty turbulent year off the pitch and have an inexperienced new foreign manager so it might take them a while to adjust.

Along with the obvious choice of Sunderland, I'd expect Bradford, Peterborough and Luton to be challenging for at least the play-offs with the signings they've made. Think Oxford could challenge too, and hopefully us!

Relegation-wise, I think Wimbledon, Rochdale and Walsall will be down there again. You have to think Accrington will struggle and I think Shrewsbury could find next season tough having lost their manager and a number of their better players.
Bradford have the players but the only experience the manager has is one year coaching their under 18s, he was playing for Leyton Orient less than 2 years ago! Obviously there have been exceptions in the past but he may be too inexperienced to get the best out of his side and make a serious challenge for the playoffs.

Ninth place predicted for us according to the combined bookmakers' predictions a couple of weeks ago:

Sunderland – 7/4
Barnsley – 5/2
Charlton Athletic – 10/3
Portsmouth FC – 10/3
Scunthorpe United – 4/1
Luton Town – 5/1
Peterborough United – 11/2
Shrewsbury Town – 11/2
Southend United – 6/1
Bradford City – 13/2
Bristol Rovers – 13/2
Coventry City – 13/2
Oxford United – 13/2
Blackpool – 15/2
Burton Albion – 8/1
Doncaster Rovers – 8/1
Fleetwood Town – 8/1
Plymouth Argyle – 8/1
Rochdale – 8/1
AFC Wimbledon – 11/1
Walsall – 14/1
Wycombe Wanderers – 14/1
Gillingham – 18/1
Accrington Stanley – 20/1

Can see Gills and Accers going down. Would looooove Burton to join them (personal dislike) but cant see that happening. To go up probs Charlton, Portsmouth and Us of course

I know it seems a bit early .................... but the season gets under way quite soon.

Who have you got your eye on for promotion & relegation? Saying Southend United (for promotion) is rather obvious (and quite pleasing) .................... but I understand that the bookies have

Sunderland
Barnsley
Charlton &
Portsmouth

as favourites to go up. That would be 2 of the 3 teams that came down and (if the bookies are right) seems to be setting a rather stagnating trend.

As for relegation ............. I am sure Accers (with their limited resources) will be on some people's radar. An unlikely choice might be Braford who have had massive changes in personnel and Wimbledon struggled last season as well. And I wonder how Blackpool will get on.

Not a bit early, in fact, I already started a similar thread on 12th July!!! :Smile:

https://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/threads/just-for-fun-predictions-for-league-1.96636/

Back