• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Simple enough - name the teams that you think will get promoted automatically (and play-offs if you wish) and the teams that you think will be relegated.

Reasons why you have made your selection would be nice. :smile:

Just putting Southend as Champions isn't really helping the discussion along.

I think relegation candidates include:-

Shrewsbury, Oldham and Walsall as I have really seen them strengthen their teams.

I can tell you I put £20 on Southend to get promoted at 8/1 with Corals this morning
Unbelievably Portsmouth 11/4- seem to give bigger clubs shorter odds for no particular footballing reason- leaves decent odds for us though

I can tell you I put £20 on Southend to get promoted at 8/1 with Corals this morning
Unbelievably Portsmouth 11/4- seem to give bigger clubs shorter odds for no particular footballing reason- leaves decent odds for us though.

Betting - not something I know about but is it because there are more Pompey fans betting and therefore the bookies face a larger risk of payout so therefore they reduce the odds?

Betting - not something I know about but is it because there are more Pompey fans betting and therefore the bookies face a larger risk of payout so therefore they reduce the odds?

Yeah I think it's this. More bets placed for a particular team shortens the odds for that team. That's why 'big' clubs are often shorter odds for promotion irrespective of their relative strength. They simply have more punters backing them.

Partly. Pompey are a big club though and will also attach lots of punts from football fans who might not know the ins and outs of the division.

You're right though that the odds are driven by who is betting on who

That's a real hard one to call...... There really isn't a stand out for me unlike last season when I expected Bolton and Sheffield Utd to be up there.

It's 2 between

Blackburn
Wigan
Oxford
Plymouth
Portsmouth
Southend (if we're a bit more consistant)
Charlton
Peterborough
Bradford
Doncaster
Scunthorpe
MK Dons
Bristol Rovers

Not much of a help with my prediction but it will be 2 from the above, but I fully expect the 13 teams listed above will be (in what ever order) in the top 13.

Think Blackburn may find it tougher than many think but will battle it out for automatic promotion with Wigan, Bradford, Portsmouth and Oxford. Peterborough and Northampton to be surprise packages going by their recruitment over the summer. Expecting Fleetwood to be strong again (Conor McAleny is a top signing) and Doncaster will do well having kept hold of John Marquis.

Struggling to stay alive will be Shrewsbury, Wimbledon, Gillingham, Plymouth and Blackpool. Oldham will be fine as they are immune from relegation from this division.

Can't see us being top half this year. League is too strong and our squad doesn't have enough depth for a 50+ game season. 13th. Big spending Bury to do OK but wholesale squad overhauls rarely work and I'll put them down for 10th Clive.

Bury have been chucking the cash around again, but nobody on here so far rates them to go up or down so far. I bet Adam Thompson will be pleased.

Bury have been chucking the cash around again, but nobody on here so far rates them to go up or down so far. I bet Adam Thompson will be pleased.

I doubt Adam Thompson is going to lose too much sleep over the thoughts of armchair pundits given he's probably just doubled his wage.

I have lumped £20 on us winning the league this year at 25/1. Listen out for the old, fat, bald bloke screaming 'Brown out' at 5pm Saturday if we haven't won.
Apart from that, this league is so unpredictable, I don't have a scooby on predictions.

Top 6
Blackburn
Wigan
Charlton
Peterborough
Southend
Scunthorpe

Bottom 4
Shrewsbury
Oldham
Walsall
Rotherham

Rootshallbloke;1982429[B said:
]Bury have been chucking the cash around again, but nobody on here so far rates them to go up or down so far. I bet Adam Thompson will be pleased.[/B]

They seem to be doing it every year making wholesale changes, it rarely works. I see them as being lower half at best.

Charlton should do better this season if they can actually stick with a manager for more than six months. Made some good signings over the summer and kept hold of Holmes. Wigan have a strong squad and should be up there and I'd expect Scunthorpe and Bradford to be in the mix again. Agree with Jai, don't think Blackburn going back up is a given.

Relegation-wise, I think Gillingham will struggle again particularly now they've lost Dack, and Oldham haven't signed anyone to suggest they won't be fighting relegation again. Blackpool will probably be down there too, and it might be a case of second season syndrome for AFC Wimbledon who have lost Poleon and Elliott. Think Walsall could struggle too.

Last edited:
Portsmouth
Charlton
Southend

Down
Oldham
Shrews
Wimbledon
MK Dons

Scunthorpe were a surprise package last season before tailing away just at the end.

Anyone know if they have managed to keep the team together? I would have thought at least a couple of players would have caught the eye of other teams with some cash to spend.

A quick look at their transfer dealings would suggest they pretty much have kept the same squad. Possibly their biggest departure was Stephen Dawson (their captain) to Bury. Other than that, a young goal keeper off to Brentford & a striker and a midfielder who has never scored goals for the club off to Oldham & Plymouth.

Back