• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can't believe the first rumblings of getting rid of Sturrock if we don't go up.
If the man himself chooses to walk away , for whatever reason , then there's nothing we can do.
But to get rid of him after another season which started in turmoil and the loss of 5-6 key players from last season , only replaced by a collection of loanees ( some very good , some not so good ).

So get rid of Sturrock and replace with................................................????
Yes not going up is a hugely frustrating prospect , but I'd rather keep a man who IMO has done a great job and actually knows what he's doing.

Be careful what you wish for.

If the man himself chooses to walk away , for whatever reason , then there's nothing we can do.
But to get rid of him after another season which started in turmoil and the loss of 5-6 key players from last season , only replaced by a collection of loanees ( some very good , some not so good ).

So get rid of Sturrock and replace with................................................????
Yes not going up is a hugely frustrating prospect , but I'd rather keep a man who IMO has done a great job and actually knows what he's doing.

I don't think anyone is "wishing" for it to happen. There wasn't many who approved of Tilson being removed from his role after relegation to L2.....The fact is that Ron Martin has stipulated many times that he wants promotion to L1, and this will be Sturrocks third failed attempt.....

All I'm saying is don't be surprised if it does happen. At the end of the day he's failed the targets set to him by RM. Three times.

I don't think anyone is "wishing" for it to happen. There wasn't many who approved of Tilson being removed from his role after relegation to L2.....The fact is that Ron Martin has stipulated many times that he wants promotion to L1, and this will be Sturrocks third failed attempt.....

All I'm saying is don't be surprised if it does happen. At the end of the day he's failed the targets set to him by RM. Three times.

First season was a rebuilding season, if anyone expected promotion when you only have 5 players turn up for pre-season, then you have higher expectations than the highly deluded Abramovich.

Last season we missed out on the final day by 1 point, hardly a disaster, but still a "failed" season.

First season was a rebuilding season, if anyone expected promotion when you only have 5 players turn up for pre-season, then you have higher expectations than the highly deluded Abramovich.

Last season we missed out on the final day by 1 point, hardly a disaster, but still a "failed" season.

This. And I agree with Jai above, getting rid of Sturrock would still be a major mistake.

Last night the whole spine of the side was missing. No Cresswell/Phillips at centre-half, no Timlin/Laird in midfield and no Tomlin up top - that's gonna hurt any side. If we miss out completely it will IMHO be because of who's missing, not who's playing.

Eek, before I get the negative muppet comment again I never said I wanted Luggy gone. Ronaldo may think differently though.

I absolutely agree. I think that Sturrock will walk if we don't go up (and I don't think we will), but it makes my eyelid twitch and triggers flashbacks of Alvin Martin et al when I think of it. Luggy's done an incredible job whatever happens, and would be a huge loss. The idea of sacking him is preposterous.

Be careful what you wish for indeed. We will struggle to attract anyone better and my fear is we will get someone in who will not be able to deal with the circus that is SUFC under Ron, and guide us out of the division the other way.

Sturrock may have "failed" but he's been managing a side without a pot to **** in and watched the likes of Swindon, Rotherham, Crawley, Fleetwood, spend hundreds of thousands trying to get promoted. If the goal is promotion then it's not unrealistic, but to say it's failure not to achieve it sums up the short-termist football culture. Why do we have a divine right to be promoted above anyone else in this league when we have fewer resources?

Play-offs at best I think. 3rd place is still up for grabs, but I think we will be too far adrift by the time our injuries clear up.

If Ron gets rid of Sturrock, I can see myself turning into one of those 4/5 games a season men as described in another thread. I was furious when he cut off Tilly and then fired him. The first season under Sturrock, I went because I enjoy going to football with my mates. Since then, it's been enjoyable stuff. If Ron takes us back to square one again, then I'll have had just about enough of him.

Paul Sturrock is a Championship/League One manager of real quality. The fact that we've been able to employ him is down to his personal circumstances - it's been a real bonus for us and he has achieved wonders with no money and a squad with serious weaknesses in certain areas. Don't forget a strong case can be made for the floodlight failure at Aldershot costing us the one point we needed for promotion, and we might even have held onto our lead and got all three points. Finishing fourth is such a disappointment that few teams can lift themselves to perform well in the play-offs. Much better to be hovering in 8th/9th position until a final run lifts you into 7th place. You'll then win the play offs!

We're just as good as any of those teams up there, we've seen that. Unfortunately with all these injuries, it muddies the waters. Timlin is a big loss, but the rest of them in theory should be back in a couple of weeks.

Honestly, we probably won't, and we probably won't get to Wembley either. But getting rid of Sturrock as a result would be a major mistake.

Ask this question again after we've won a game - you'll get a completely different response from everyone, such is the nature of football fans. Everyone's down about last night

Erm, 5 points in 9 games against the top 6 (or 8 points in 10 against the top 7) says differently.

After last night and the mounting injury list who still thinks we are going to get promoted? I may just be overreacting, and I hope I am, but if things carry on with the injuries and suspensions I can't see us going to wembley or getting promoted. This month is probably our most crucial month given who we are playing and if we continue to have players dropping like flies it could all go wrong.

What does everyone else think? I hope I am just overreacting

No change for me - I didn't think we'd get promoted yesterday morning, and I don't now.

Without spouting the 'one game at a time' comment , I think the views on here will change again depending on Saturdays result ( and that of our rivals , who all had good results last night ! ).
For sure , if we lose , then it will ( probably rightly ) be all doom and gloom and pessimism for our play off chances.
Win and I'm sure there will be a few more optimists shouting again.
Cresswells League suspension will be over , injured players coming back etc

I took a look at Northamptons stats to try to get some positives and to be honest their recent away form is not great.
My biggest concern though , and 'biggest' is an apt word to use is the sheer size of their front two ( Platt and Akinfenwa ).
Even if Phillips and/or Barker are back , our CB's are likely to be in for a tough time

And there was me thinking we beat Cheltenham away, Exeter at home and Rotherham away.

Alright missed out the Exeter at home as I forgot that oine - so 8 points in 9 is a shocking return against the top 6. And Rotherham are 7th and that victory was included in my 8 points in 10 (which is now 11 points in 11 against top 7). Not good enough whatever way you look at it is it?

I think we will make the playoffs , but thats all,yes injuries have crippled the side for sure, but in Phil Sturrock we have the best manager we could possibly hope for,( we are very fortunate). I dont believe for one moment Ron Martin would sack him , if we lose PS it will because he gets a better offer.He is well respected throughout the leagues.My thoughts are that perhaps Southend should be looking to make sure that next season we DO got promoted by starting now to get the right men in to be able to do the job, and by right men that means not just players but also in the back rooms.Also getting rid of the driftwood ( if you know what i mean) so everyone in the squad can replace anyone injured,without it making Southends performance deteriorate.Mr Martin can do his part by paying the bills and wages etc, and giving Mr Sturrock a few pennies to get the players he needs. Then if Mr Sturrock fails perhaps he can point a finger.

its going to be close, but I can not see us not being in the top 7. We have just lost by 1 goal to third place. With a better ref and Woodyard not making a rash challenge we would have won and be third .
This is with a line up with more missing first team players than most of us can remember. We know Creswell only has one further league match before he is back with a point to prove . There are still lots of reasons to be hopeful don't give up now

its going to be close, but I can not see us not being in the top 7. We have just lost by 1 goal to third place. With a better ref and Woodyard not making a rash challenge we would have won and be third .
This is with a line up with more missing first team players than most of us can remember. We know Creswell only has one further league match before he is back with a point to prove . There are still lots of reasons to be hopeful don't give up now

Are you suggesting that Creswell will be back for the JPT game against Orient? I thought he was banned for that as well.

Are you suggesting that Creswell will be back for the JPT game against Orient? I thought he was banned for that as well.

nope no suggesting that at all. The thread is about promotion , not the JPT, hence why I said he is out for one league match and not one match,:winking:

Back