• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

buffalowolf

Director
Having read the thread re: martin allen getting the sack from gills, and what was said about Crystal palace and Cardiff leads me to ask the question,all of us at Shrimperzone at one time or another i would guess have said how SUFC need to get out of this accursed league 2 to league1 not conference, but i beg to ask the question as i live so far away in Melbourne i dont get to se my beloved team play,If we do get promotion ," How many of the present squad are good enough to play in division one." and where would SUFC get the money to replace those that arent with players that are.Its all well and good wanting promotion but can we afford it.:stunned:

There's probably a small core of players who would be more than OK at L1 level but most of the squad would need replacing/supplementing with better quality. Saying that, as long as we had a squad which was good enough to avoid relegation for a couple of seasons in L1, that'd be a decent aim. A couple of seasons of treading water up there waiting for behind the scenes stuff to be sorted wouldn't be a bad thing.

Having read the thread re: martin allen getting the sack from gills, and what was said about Crystal palace and Cardiff leads me to ask the question,all of us at Shrimperzone at one time or another i would guess have said how SUFC need to get out of this accursed league 2 to league1 not conference, but i beg to ask the question as i live so far away in Melbourne i dont get to se my beloved team play,If we do get promotion ," How many of the present squad are good enough to play in division one." and where would SUFC get the money to replace those that arent with players that are.Its all well and good wanting promotion but can we afford it.:stunned:

Before we even achieve promotion the question should still be are these players even good enough to challeneg to get out of this league, never mind play in L1.. So time will tell, the men are usually seperated from the boys in a promotion team - if we have one!

One (heavy) loss in a tin-pot cup and it was all doom and gloom. One win via a lucky deflection and we're going up.

Oh the vagaries of a football messaging board. :smile:

Hurst, Atkinson, Leonard, Bentley, Eastwood, White? Few have already played at that level recently and it's highly doubtful that we would be signing anyone for a fee anyway.

I guess promotion just means being able to attract a higher calibre of freebie, dependent on whether we could offer them competitive salary. I'm sure Brown could also manoeuvre a little better in the loan market given that a lot of his contacts are Premiership/Championship...

I would have thought the majority of the squad could play one level up. Indeed playing the Brown way may be easier the higher you go. PB gets them playing football, a technique that could be found wanting in lg2 when they come up against the shin kickers of basement football.

This is the current squad (exc. loanees):

Paul Smith - No.Contract out at end of the season, so my guess is he moves on no matter what league
Dan Bentley - Yes. Still young and this is a big season for him and he is going very well.
Luke Chambers - N/A. Not played a first team game, not sure what has happened to him. Contract running out too.

Mark Phillips - No. Contract over at end of the year and too injury prone. Been a very good player for us though.
Luke Prosser - Squad player at best. Can't see him being a regular in League 1.
Anthony Straker - No. Another whos contract is out this year and needs to improve a fair amount.
Ryan Auger - N/A. Could be one for the future and he has done very well in friendlies.
John White - Yes. Spent most his career in League 1.
Ben Coker - Yes. Based on the could of games I've seen him he loves to get forward, but not great defensively.
Julian Bennett - No.Won't be here next season.

Michael Timlin - Yes. If he can get his match fitness back then he could be a big player for us this season.
Kevan Hurst - Yes. Gets a fair amount of goals and assists. Needs a new contract though!
Ryan Leonard - Yes. Our best CM this season and needs a 2 year deal with option for a 3rd IMO.
Marc Laird - Yes. Won our first 3 games with him and was part of that midfield last season that went on a great unbeaten run.
Mitchell Pinnock - N/A. Not seen him play yet, but still young and could be useful.
Will Atkinson - Yes. He seems like a player that will be solid and consistent rather than someone who can change a game. Not a bad thing though.
Jack Payne - YES!! He could become a very good player if he keeps his attitude correct.
Conor Clifford - Yes. Looks very tenatious and will only get better with experience. Sort of player that needs someone else experienced along side him to get the best out of him (Leonard?)

Barry Corr - Yes. Get him back to the form of last season and he will be banging them in again.
Freddy Eastwood - Yes. Won't be the old Freddy, but keep his desire burning and he could easily play League 1.
Seedy Njie - N/A. Not seen him play and can't comment.
Craig Reid - No. Don't think he will do it in League 1 and will leave next summer.

Add to that the youth players who have been knocking on the door (Banton, Williams, Edwards) and we probably have a team for bottom half of League 1.

If a team is good enough to go up from league 2 it is generally good enough to stay up, there isn’t the gulf in quality that there is between lge1 and the champ or the champ and the prem. The fact Brown is trying to play football and we are a young side that will improve stands us in good stead too. However I am very sceptical that we are good enough to go up.

I'd keep Phillips on a pay/play deal if possible. When he's fit he's good enough.

Most of the squad could individually play in League One, and in fact something like half of them have already.

The more significant question is are they as a team good enough and to that the answer is a resounding no and struggling to breakdown 10 men just emphasises that.

We r a league 2 team and will remain this for a long time. We r not consistant enough for promotion and 2 or 3 possibley league 1 standard rest are barely league 2 standard. Alot of work to be done

Most of the squad could individually play in League One, and in fact something like half of them have already.

The more significant question is are they as a team good enough and to that the answer is a resounding no and struggling to breakdown 10 men just emphasises that.

Yet it was the same team that comfortably beat a team that was in the automatic promotion places away from home. Breaking down a team that has gone down to 10 men is never easy, added to the fact that the player that was sent off was a striker just meant that their defence and midfield was unchanged.

Paul Smith - No.Contract out at end of the season, so my guess is he moves on no matter what league
Dan Bentley - Yes. Still young and this is a big season for him and he is going very well.
Luke Chambers - N/A. Not played a first team game, not sure what has happened to him. Contract running out too.

Mark Phillips - No. Contract over at end of the year and too injury prone. Been a very good player for us though.
Anthony Straker - No. Another whos contract is out this year and needs to improve a fair amount.
Ryan Auger - N/A. Could be one for the future and he has done very well in friendlies.
Ben Coker - Yes. Based on the could of games I've seen him he loves to get forward, but not great defensively.

Michael Timlin - Yes. If he can get his match fitness back then he could be a big player for us this season.
Kevan Hurst - Yes. Gets a fair amount of goals and assists. Needs a new contract though!
Ryan Leonard - Yes. Our best CM this season and needs a 2 year deal with option for a 3rd IMO.
Marc Laird - Yes. Won our first 3 games with him and was part of that midfield last season that went on a great unbeaten run.
Mitchell Pinnock - N/A. Not seen him play yet, but still young and could be useful.
Will Atkinson - Yes. He seems like a player that will be solid and consistent rather than someone who can change a game. Not a bad thing though.
Jack Payne - YES!! He could become a very good player if he keeps his attitude correct.
Conor Clifford - Yes. Looks very tenatious and will only get better with experience. Sort of player that needs someone else experienced along side him to get the best out of him (Leonard?)

Barry Corr - Yes. Get him back to the form of last season and he will be banging them in again.
Freddy Eastwood - Yes. Won't be the old Freddy, but keep his desire burning and he could easily play League 1.
Craig Reid - No. Don't think he will do it in League 1 and will leave next summer.

Add to that the youth players who have been knocking on the door (Banton, Williams, Edwards) and we probably have a team for bottom half of League 1.

I would agree with this, possibly Philips aside.

The problem wouldn't be the quality of our "big" players. It would be, as it is now, that we don't have enough of them.

Struggling a bit with this one.

The current side is currently not yet resilient enough for league 2 success, let alone league 1. But I would still not rule out play-offs and promotion if we steer clear of too many more injuries/suspensions. I doubt we would be better than mid/lower table in League 1 if we didn't strengthen the side but sometimes the confidence that comes from promotion drives players to higher levels.

A good example is the area final against Orient last season. I know it was only a one-off cup game but the players stepped up and hey presto, Wembley beckoned.

I would agree with this, possibly Philips aside.

The problem wouldn't be the quality of our "big" players. It would be, as it is now, that we don't have enough of them.

True, although it isn't like we have a bunch of deadwood. All the ones I don't think will make the step up can be released at the end of the season and with our small squad we could easily bring in several better players.

Phillips is a tough one as he is good when fit, but that is the problem. I don't think we can rely on him to be in the starting lineup all season, but if we can get him on a pay-as-you-play sort of deal then it's win-win all round.

id def go with that put Phillips on a pay as u play deal the football we play is more suited to division one then two

If we went up I believe most could step up as at least squad players in one form or another. The centre back position would need improving massively though if we went up.

Back