• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Proposed cut in VAT

VAT cut won't reduce prices unless they are traditionally priced "+ VAT" - for example, can you see a newsagent either:

a) keeping crisps at 50p (as they are all labelled) and pocketing the extra 1p, or

b) reducing the prices of all his stock

It will only benefit the public on things like electric, gas, car servicing, etc.

You missed out another option.......

c) Sell cigarettes and fireworks to children.

The answer is obviously a and c.

Last edited:
The taxing of higher earners is frankly appalling,Would imagine many of these are cheesed off with how their hard earned is being blown and for them to pay even more is plain daft.

Novel ideas to save billions.

Pull the troops out of countries and NEVER get involved again with others business.

Asylum seekers throw them out.

Immigrants who say have been here for the past 2 years any claiming the dole throw them out.

Stop spending cash on lavish prisons.

Cut the long term sickness benefit list.

No overseas person is able to use the NHS.

Long term unemployed eithe reduce their dole money or make them work in the community.

Simple measures that will save billions.

Although any saving is a saving I don't think reducing VAT by 2.5% will make any difference whatsoever..This is a World problem , not just the UK and whilst I admire the government for trying, until confidence is reinstated around the world we are just throwing a cup of water into a big sea.

Tax the rich. Excellent and about bloody time, they can afford it. If you can't live your life on £150k a year, there is something wrong with you. Of course one alternative would be to put higher taxes on everyone, but that wouldn't solve anything, would it?

That nice Declan who used to be on Breakfast TV explained inflation. The rate the Gpvernment quotes covers everything except houseprices. However, if you break it down it is quite interesting. Things like bread and milk and eggs (ie the stuff we buy) is running at around 14%. Luxury items such as large electrical items etc is running about even. So, an immediate 2.5 cut in VAT will make tellies cheap, but food is still expensive.

What really needs to be done is a cut in excise duty on diesel. Whilst petrol has fallen, diesel is still relatively expensive. Pretty much all lorries use diesel, so transport costs are still high and the knock on is felt on food etc. Drop diesel prices, food prices fall. That would more useful than a 2.5 cut on VAT IMHO.

Any one earning 150k i reckon good luck to them,Dont forget these people may have large mortgages ect ect taxing them further is not the answer.

Tax the rich. Excellent and about bloody time, they can afford it. If you can't live your life on £150k a year, there is something wrong with you. Of course one alternative would be to put higher taxes on everyone, but that wouldn't solve anything, would it?

That nice Declan who used to be on Breakfast TV explained inflation. The rate the Gpvernment quotes covers everything except houseprices. However, if you break it down it is quite interesting. Things like bread and milk and eggs (ie the stuff we buy) is running at around 14%. Luxury items such as large electrical items etc is running about even. So, an immediate 2.5 cut in VAT will make tellies cheap, but food is still expensive.

What really needs to be done is a cut in excise duty on diesel. Whilst petrol has fallen, diesel is still relatively expensive. Pretty much all lorries use diesel, so transport costs are still high and the knock on is felt on food etc. Drop diesel prices, food prices fall. That would more useful than a 2.5 cut on VAT IMHO.

More to the point, whilst petrol prices have been coming down, LPG prices have remained high. How does that work given that LPG is a byproduct of petrol?

Although any saving is a saving I don't think reducing VAT by 2.5% will make any difference whatsoever..This is a World problem , not just the UK and whilst I admire the government for trying, until confidence is reinstated around the world we are just throwing a cup of water into a big sea.

But it's only one idea of many. It's the cumulative affect that will have a difference.

The taxing of higher earners is frankly appalling,Would imagine many of these are cheesed off with how their hard earned is being blown and for them to pay even more is plain daft.
Why is it appalling? It is happening all over the world, why should it not happen in the UK? Anyone earning over 150k a year will hardly even notice a small % increase.

Pull the troops out of countries and NEVER get involved again with others business.
Impossible. So would you like to cut out the defence budget completely? The UK would be like sitting ducks.

Asylum seekers throw them out.
To an extent I agree, however your comment is too generalised. Should the UK Government decide to go to a country and blitz the hell out of them, surely then the UK Government should take some responsibility for the orphans they have created?

Immigrants who say have been here for the past 2 years any claiming the dole throw them out.
Very similar comment to the above. Apart from the fact - this one is completely and utterly flawed. Would never ever get away with it under UK law. And why stop at immigrants claiming the dole for two years? Why should UK Citizens not be subject to the same measures? Would surely get everyone back into jobs wouldn't it?

Stop spending cash on lavish prisons.
100% agreed on this one. No two ways about it. Prison should not be 'nice & comfy'.

Cut the long term sickness benefit list.
I do kind of agree with you here, however I do not see any way to implement it. If a few of the spongers try to take the UK Government to the European Courts under the Human Rights Act, it could possibly have the opposite effect if trying to save a few quid. Could run up millions & millions of pounds in legal bills.

No overseas person is able to use the NHS.
I assume you'd be in favour of all countries doing this though? So if you have been hit by a car in France, you are quite happy that the Ambulance should just leave you to die?

Simple measures that will save billions.
Simple measures that are generally flawed by laws against them.

Can see where you are coming from, apart from the fact most of them won't work.

Any one earning 150k i reckon good luck to them,Dont forget these people may have large mortgages ect ect taxing them further is not the answer.
I'm wondering if these people earning 150k would prefer to lose their job or face an extra tax hike?

I'm guessing the latter, but unless the economy gets a kick-start then they will be facing the former as more & more lose their jobs.

I'm wondering if these people earning 150k would prefer to lose their job or face an extra tax hike?

I'm guessing the latter, but unless the economy gets a kick-start then they will be facing the former as more & more lose their jobs.

I'm wondering what percentage of people earn £150k.

The BBC claim £46K puts you inside the top ten percent of earners.

Here's an interesting link http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/polit...to-gamble-on-you-being-********-200811241415/

Get those Smoothie Makers now!

To an extent I agree with you.

However, the better position the UK is in when the world economy does change will have a knock on effect as to how quickly the UK can come out of the crisis.

I believe the UK Government will start to look at the China/India trends in the markets now. They are going to go through the next 'boom' and with every boom there is a 'bang'. The US dominance will fade as it'll struggle to contend with a country with a billion people at it's disposal.

The UK Government can also learn from this and force the banks to set stricter lending conditions. Whether they do this though is anyones guess.

I assume you'd be in favour of all countries doing this though? So if you have been hit by a car in France, you are quite happy that the Ambulance should just leave you to die?

Isn't that what you buy holiday insurance for?

Why is it appalling? It is happening all over the world, why should it not happen in the UK? Anyone earning over 150k a year will hardly even notice a small % increase.

Impossible. So would you like to cut out the defence budget completely? The UK would be like sitting ducks.

To an extent I agree, however your comment is too generalised. Should the UK Government decide to go to a country and blitz the hell out of them, surely then the UK Government should take some responsibility for the orphans they have created?

Very similar comment to the above. Apart from the fact - this one is completely and utterly flawed. Would never ever get away with it under UK law. And why stop at immigrants claiming the dole for two years? Why should UK Citizens not be subject to the same measures? Would surely get everyone back into jobs wouldn't it?

100% agreed on this one. No two ways about it. Prison should not be 'nice & comfy'.

I do kind of agree with you here, however I do not see any way to implement it. If a few of the spongers try to take the UK Government to the European Courts under the Human Rights Act, it could possibly have the opposite effect if trying to save a few quid. Could run up millions & millions of pounds in legal bills.

Simple measures that are generally flawed by laws against them.

Can see where you are coming from, apart from the fact most of them won't work.

Apologies as i have no idea how to use quotes with my answers.

The armed forces should remain in this country defending this country NOT fighting wars thousands of miles away.

Why should people pay more tax just so their cash can be frittered away,The truth being this country cannot support any more dependants ie the last year over 1000 people entered this country every day and i simply do not believe these all find work and contribute.

This goverment has poured big money into the NHS which cannot treat every tom dick or harry.

The human rights thing should be torn up and we should go back to basics.

Isn't that what you buy holiday insurance for?
Was hoping graysblue would answer that one, but thanks for that anyway. If an overseas citizen is involved I would assume the NHS claim back the cost of treatment from their insurance company. I am not familiar with this, but I've never heard of anyone going to the UK without insurance just because the NHS is 'free' though.

Happy to be proven wrong if so. However, how common would this situation actually be though anyway? Are we talking thousands of overseas citizens each year being treated for serious injuries? No doubt if the NHS left someone to die in the street, then they would face a court case costing millions. I think treating them would be the more humane way to deal with it. While also probably being cheaper, which is what this thread is about eh?

As a sidenote though - I personally know a lot of people who go overseas with no medical cover. I assume they do expect to be treated though if they are involved in an accident. Perhaps graysblue would be in favour of the E111 form being scrapped as that should save a few bob too as people would have to get insurance. Or go into hundreds of thousands of debt. Or just die on the street if the other country fails to treat them.

By going back to basics I take it you mean living in caves, battering our womenfolk on the head as a form of sexual foreplay, worshipping the sun and dying before we reach 30. That pretty much encompasses everything you post on this site.

By going back to basics I take it you mean living in caves, battering our womenfolk on the head as a form of sexual foreplay, worshipping the sun and dying before we reach 30. That pretty much encompasses everything you post on this site.

You wouldnt get any parking tickets though LF, and if you did you could just whack the warden with your Club.

Was hoping graysblue would answer that one, but thanks for that anyway. If an overseas citizen is involved I would assume the NHS claim back the cost of treatment from their insurance company. I am not familiar with this, but I've never heard of anyone going to the UK without insurance just because the NHS is 'free' though.

Happy to be proven wrong if so. However, how common would this situation actually be though anyway? Are we talking thousands of overseas citizens each year being treated for serious injuries? No doubt if the NHS left someone to die in the street, then they would face a court case costing millions. I think treating them would be the more humane way to deal with it. While also probably being cheaper, which is what this thread is about eh?

As a sidenote though - I personally know a lot of people who go overseas with no medical cover. I assume they do expect to be treated though if they are involved in an accident. Perhaps graysblue would be in favour of the E111 form being scrapped as that should save a few bob too as people would have to get insurance. Or go into hundreds of thousands of debt. Or just die on the street if the other country fails to treat them.

The other chap beat me to it ie holiday insurance.

The NHS has become a service for all.

Look at Africa where HIV/AIDS are rife yet this country allows large numbers to come here without health screening.

The law of averages suggests that maybe 30 in every 100 may well have the disease which costs the NHS 30k per patient.In addition TB has returned which again costs big bucks to treat.

Put it this way,

If there were 100,000 persons with lets say 10% having serious illness surely its wise to screen them all so they do not burden the taxpayer.

May seem harsh to some but at the end of the day its folly to do nothing.

The armed forces should remain in this country defending this country NOT fighting wars thousands of miles away.
Who are they defending from? Again, I ask the same question. Should the UK be like sitting ducks and wait for a 9/11 equivalent to happen at Canary Wharf? No doubt, then you'd complain nothing was done to prevent it !

Why should people pay more tax just so their cash can be frittered away,The truth being this country cannot support any more dependants ie the last year over 1000 people entered this country every day and i simply do not believe these all find work and contribute.
Again, I ask the same question. Should the UK Government not take some responsibility for the orphans they have created?

Apologies as i have no idea how to use quotes with my answers.

This goverment has poured big money into the NHS which cannot treat every tom dick or harry.

Do you enjoy the clothes you wear? Do you enjoy the house you live in? Do you enjoy the computer you currently type on? Do you enjoy the food you eat?

No doubt the clothes you bought are made in China, the computer you type on is made in Japan, the food you eat imported from across Europe, and the house you live in, built by Eastern Europeans.

The UK cannot just tear up the human rights act. It's law, and not one created just for the UK. If the UK decided to go their own way (which they cannot), I hope you would be prepared to live life like the 1940's again with none of lifes luxuries.

If there were 100,000 persons with lets say 10% having serious illness surely its wise to screen them all so they do not burden the taxpayer.
So 10,000 people come down with a serious illness while visiting London for the weekend? Wow - I might re-book my flight at Christmas as it sounds like infestation over there right now.

Back