• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Prospects sale goes through

Firestorm

Pedant
Todays echo is reporting that the final stumbling block for the RH development has passed as Sainsbury have finally bought the prospects site for 2M
There is also a bit more detail about the plans, with the actual stadium area not being part of the supermarket development but housing and flats. I assume that this allows for the store to go ahead whilst the stadium is still being used , I wonder what will start first, demolition or FF ?

That's great news!

Does it say if all the other properties on Victoria Ave that were holding out (pizza man et al.) have been bought too?

Todays echo is reporting that the final stumbling block for the RH development has passed as Sainsbury have finally bought the prospects site for 2M
There is also a bit more detail about the plans, with the actual stadium area not being part of the supermarket development but housing and flats. I assume that this allows for the store to go ahead whilst the stadium is still being used , I wonder what will start first, demolition or FF ?

So I am guessing here that they need to do nothing about FF before they open their new Supermarket or does the carpark area still count as being part of the "clause" the council have about not being able to develop RH without FF being built first?

So I am guessing here that they need to do nothing about FF before they open their new Supermarket or does the carpark area still count as being part of the "clause" the council have about not being able to develop RH without FF being built first?

I reckon that a supermarket will go up quicker than a football stadium, but maybe the preparation of the site will take longer at RH given the flats etc will need to be demolished, Apart from the issues of getting fans to the ground through a demolition site. I would think that the logistics of a full supermarket on a saturday afternoon when there is a game on may be something they would want to avoid, it could put customers off and I am sure they would not want that.

Demolition of St Mary's flats will be the first thing we see...

I would guess that the close season would be the best time for that.

Is the market still there ?Maybe the first indication that something was actually going to happen would be the market traders being told when the market is ending.

I reckon that a supermarket will go up quicker than a football stadium, but maybe the preparation of the site will take longer at RH given the flats etc will need to be demolished, Apart from the issues of getting fans to the ground through a demolition site. I would think that the logistics of a full supermarket on a saturday afternoon when there is a game on may be something they would want to avoid, it could put customers off and I am sure they would not want that.

I think you are correct Gary,my only slight cause of concern is that once the supermarket is up they could stall on the flats/houses etc leaving us high and dry in RH for the foreseeable future..I read that the Council carpark at Vic Avenue will be the temporary match day carpark and there is nothing to stop the club using the old South stand gate in RH Avenue to let people into the stadium and it will not effect the West stand or Fairfax drive entrances.I just hope the "clause" incorporates the whole area of the ground including the stadium.

Just being devils advocate here.

I would guess that the close season would be the best time for that.

Is the market still there ?Maybe the first indication that something was actually going to happen would be the market traders being told when the market is ending.
Not sure about market as such, think it's more used for Boot Sales now, a couple of times a week. There are still residents in the flats though, noticed that the other day when I went down for Oxford tickets. The sale of Prospects can only be a good thing though, surely?

I think you are correct Gary,my only slight cause of concern is that once the supermarket is up they could stall on the flats/houses etc leaving us high and dry in RH for the foreseeable future..I read that the Council carpark at Vic Avenue will be the temporary match day carpark and there is nothing to stop the club using the old South stand gate in RH Avenue to let people into the stadium and it will not effect the West stand or Fairfax drive entrances.I just hope the "clause" incorporates the whole area of the ground including the stadium.

Just being devils advocate here.

The houses & flats is where they will get the quick bit of return on their investment, so I imagine that they would want those up as soon as possible , although now, with Tesco's pushing ahead at the old B&Q site getting a big store in town must be the priority before the market share in the town takes a hit.

My concern is the training facilities, iirc the stadium at FF is not on all of B&L but a lot of the approach is, if the stadium work starts before alternative training facilities are in place what will happen.
Unless the bildings at B&L stay up and they use the pitches at Jones's but then there is still the matter of where the youth team etc will play

The houses & flats is where they will get the quick bit of return on their investment, so I imagine that they would want those up as soon as possible , although now, with Tesco's pushing ahead at the old B&Q site getting a big store in town must be the priority before the market share in the town takes a hit.

My concern is the training facilities, iirc the stadium at FF is not on all of B&L but a lot of the approach is, if the stadium work starts before alternative training facilities are in place what will happen.
Unless the bildings at B&L stay up and they use the pitches at Jones's but then there is still the matter of where the youth team etc will play

Tesco's changed their plans to incorporate no housing or very little as they said the market for new properties was just not "out there" and it would make the project unviable.

Didn't the club ask one of the local schools if they could use their fields for training and were turned down? I think it may of been Cecil Jones who still own a strip of land at FF.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see youth team games go to one of the local grounds, Wakering or Southend Manor perhaps. Having been at B&L yesterday, the building is pretty much of a dump now compared to how it used to be when it operated with a function room.

There have been so many changes to plans etc over the years. Does anybody know what the council covenant actually states these days?

I would imagine Southend might train at Playfootball, as they already send some of there youth teams there, and during the day, i guess it doesnt get as much usage as it could.

sorry guys but we are getting ahead of ourselves. The Echo article does not have a single quote from Sainsbury, Prospects or SUFC . nearly everything about the article is speculative. so don't assume anything

sorry guys but we are getting ahead of ourselves. The Echo article does not have a single quote from Sainsbury, Prospects or SUFC . nearly everything about the article is speculative. so don't assume anything

Thats exactly what I thought having got home and read the article, I also picked up on the last bit which said something like man at Sainsburys refused to comment. Mind you these things often seem to be a bit cloak and dagger and the parties concerned might just be a bit miffed that the echo spilt the beans.

Still i'm taking it at face value, its positive news and I will cling to it until proven otherwise.

Tesco's changed their plans to incorporate no housing or very little as they said the market for new properties was just not "out there" and it would make the project unviable.

Didn't the club ask one of the local schools if they could use their fields for training and were turned down? I think it may of been Cecil Jones who still own a strip of land at FF.

I seem to remember the club at some time in the past using Wellstead Gardens, would that not be a possibility if it's still there?

Boost for Blues stadium; Prospects College site ‘sold for £2m’

THE last major obstacle blocking Southend United’s stadium move has been cleared.

More...

THE last major obstacle blocking Southend United’s stadium move has been cleared.

Great! Start the construction!

It still needs to buy up a few remaining shops in Victoria Avenue, and the flats above them, with some of the owners believed to be holding out for a higher price.

Oh, maybe not then. Misleading start?

Back