• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Protein (whey) supplements

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
As a fairly regular gym-goer I wonder if these supplements are any good. They're pricey (in my view) but do they help? I'm trying to put some bulk on my bean-pole like frame!

Ta!

Rocky didn't ponce around with this ****.

Save your money for some decent muscle tops and baggy multicoloured body building trousers.

If you want to add mass, then don't rely on them completely, there is a reason they are called supplements.

Personally, I buy protein powders in bulk (get 5kg for £59ish via MyProtein) and while that might seem like a lot of money it does last a while to get through that much (maybe around 4-5 months) so I see it as a good investment.

The 3 main things are training, food and rest. This might seem obvious, but they all go hand in hand - e.g. you can't training perfect and not allow your body to rest and recover.

I'd recommend this book if you want to learn more and it doesn't go into great depth about all the bodybuilding stuff but does give you a good guide and training program.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bigger-Lean...577665&sr=8-1&keywords=bigger+leaner+stronger

As a fairly regular gym-goer I wonder if these supplements are any good. They're pricey (in my view) but do they help? I'm trying to put some bulk on my bean-pole like frame!

Ta!

I tried them as I was free falling with the weight loss thing at one point. Didn't put on a ounce. Used to know a couple of hardcore weight trainers who swore by liquidised lambs liver and chicken breasts. But bare in mind they practically lived in the gym and probably used other stuff as well.

Eat more if you want to get bigger. If you want more protein in your diet then by all means use whey but they aren't a magic potion where you magically become Arnold (in his heyday) by having some.

You're going to be chipping porcelain with your poops. Be careful.

Ta!

When you say your a gym goer do you do all cardio, all weights or mix it up? If your looking to gain mass then I would suggest you go for PhD nutrition Pharma Gain. PhD are easily the nicest tasting of all the proteins so it's less disgusting when you have to have them. I have trained hard before without using protein and struggled to gain mass but when I have trained and used protein it has helped massively and the improvements were good.

Like suggested make sure you fit loads of protein in your diet, lots of eggs and chicken but when people say they are a waste of money it's not true. I used to be one of those people and I put on some serious mass when I was using supplements. I also recommend pre work outs if your doing weights only (never use pre work out for cardio) especially if your gym visits are early morning certainly gives you a boost and I felt I could lift a lot more.

I also recommend pre work outs if your doing weights only (never use pre work out for cardio) especially if your gym visits are early morning certainly gives you a boost and I felt I could lift a lot more.

I use them too, but I take a week off from them every couple of weeks as I've heard your body can get used to them. I know someone who said they need 6 scoops (2 is the recommended amount) to get that energy boost.

I use them too, but I take a week off from them every couple of weeks as I've heard your body can get used to them. I know someone who said they need 6 scoops (2 is the recommended amount) to get that energy boost.

That's mental! The first time I had Grenade 50 cal I had half a scoop and my whole face was tingling. Did you ever use Craze pre workout? A few lads I knew were using it and then it all of a sudden got suspended because they found a meth like substance in it. Squeaky bum time for all the lads using it was compulsory drug testing coming round!

I’m a guy who struggles to get gains. The bestI have used is USN Hyperbolic mass, you need the carbs as well to put theweight on, protein alone won’t do it. Much easier to stomach than any othermass gain shakes I have tried.

If your looking to gain mass then I would suggest you go for PhD nutrition Pharma Gain.

Or just eat more.

PhD are easily the nicest tasting of all the proteins so it's less disgusting when you have to have them.

Huh? Just get a flavoured pack if you don't like it unflavoured. Never have I thought a shake was disgusting.

I have trained hard before without using protein and struggled to gain mass but when I have trained and used protein it has helped massively and the improvements were good.

Like suggested make sure you fit loads of protein in your diet, lots of eggs and chicken but when people say they are a waste of money it's not true. I used to be one of those people and I put on some serious mass when I was using supplements.

You weren't eating enough.

I also recommend pre work outs if your doing weights only (never use pre work out for cardio) especially if your gym visits are early morning certainly gives you a boost and I felt I could lift a lot more.

Take a caffine tablet, far cheaper and more caffine than in a preworkout.

Rob - just go here or here, two good companies and decently priced. You won't need anything other than those.

That's mental! The first time I had Grenade 50 cal I had half a scoop and my whole face was tingling. Did you ever use Craze pre workout? A few lads I knew were using it and then it all of a sudden got suspended because they found a meth like substance in it. Squeaky bum time for all the lads using it was compulsory drug testing coming round!

Never used that, but sounds crazy!

I've heard some people drink coffee before their workout too.

I've only used NOxplode, but that scared me off preworkouts, heart was going at a mental pace

Protein supplements take all the fun out of eating protein.

They could at least do them in bacon, steak, doner and KFC flavours.

I'd read this:

TheTimesNews

Q: Do I need to use a protein supplement or a pre-workout energy supplement? The advice of the bodybuilders in the gym, one of whom has won the Mr. Alamance, is that you can’t grow without them.

A: No matter what the muscle heads in the gym or the advertising in the muscle magazines "report," you will grow tremendously just fine by eating, as long as it’s the nutrition your body needs. While protein supplements are a convenient option to assist you in consuming the protein necessary for consistent growth, they are not a necessity.

Seems reasonable.

That said, I like to get a whey-hey supplement at least once a week.

:winking:

Or just eat more.

Huh? Just get a flavoured pack if you don't like it unflavoured. Never have I thought a shake was disgusting.

You weren't eating enough.

Take a caffine tablet, far cheaper and more caffine than in a preworkout.

Rob - just go here or here, two good companies and decently priced. You won't need anything other than those.

I have never had an unflavoured pack, just saying that some of the flavours aren't all that tasty, PhD Nutrition on the other hand have a good range of flavours which are delightful.

How do you know I wasn't eating enough? If you knew me then you would know I eat like a horse and always have done!

I used to have a RedBull and a Mars bar before work outs it had little effect and have tried all sorts of tablets etc but pre work out is very good.

Rob - personally I think if you want to put on weight quickly and still have the effects of a whey protein then a couple of courses of Pharma gain will do you a world of good. Then when maintaining or shredding I would suggest moving onto the standard whey. I'm not a fan of these 'cheaper' products, you get what you pay for. I'm in the military and work with a lot of gym nuts who compete and I have never known them to go for 'cheap' products. They tend to say stick to the known brands like PhD, Maximuscle, Grenade, MyProtein etc.

Back