• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Save our Southend Protest Confirmed

Yes. That is the risk, and that has to be weighed up against the risk of doing nothing by anyone choosing to protest.

Yes, but what is the aim of it? The plan? I get protests if a plan is in place, investers eg, who are willing to take over the club. We have none of that apart from a group of angry people who don't have an answer to what they're protesting against. It's crazy.

Oh yes, without even a scintilla of a doubt. It really doesn’t help to get a unified approach when some actually suggest that a Phoenix club out the wreckage of the club going under is somehow a price worth paying..

Do you not think we're on borrowed time and are highly likely to fold in Non League, anyway ? At which point we'll be forced down that path

You won't be representing me, I'm in a state of realism to know if Ron walked away tomorrow we'd fold. We have no plan, no one who'd be willing to take over, it's just a stir up from Stan that the fans are jumping on.

Ron's been approached - he just refused to consider interest. So in that essence you are plain and simply incorrect.

I suspect this will result in no more than a public outpouring of disappointment and if that means some people will feel better for it then so be it I guess. I for one won't be there albeit share the disappointment of the last couple of seasons as much as the next man.

However I'd rather focus on what happens next and I would favour a more conciliatory approach to begin with. That is what I originally thought Stan was offering but speaking to Chris Phillips and the fans via Zoom BEFORE a conversation with the major shareholder (and creditor) was inflammatory at best and it is no wonder that Ron responded so beligerently. We still have further to fall if we don't get this right before September. I can see chasms forming already amongst fans never mind the other key stakeholders.

Yes, but what is the aim of it? The plan? I get protests if a plan is in place, investers eg, who are willing to take over the club. We have none of that apart from a group of angry people who don't have an answer to what they're protesting against. It's crazy.
I personally don’t think you can form said plan until Ron’s intentions are clear, hence I hope he is honest and up front with Stan (it’s a big hope!) From what I can see, the aim of any protest now is a demonstration against the way the club is being operated and a vehicle to draw attention to our plight. Nothing more.

Do you not think we're on borrowed time and are highly likely to fold in Non League, anyway ? At which point we'll be forced down that path
In a word no. Probably we are, at this point, nearer to financial stability than we have been for many many years. Due, of course, to the FF & RH developments.
At the same time it’s the very reason Ron will be going absolutely nowhere anytime soon.
The “pheonix” proposition doesn’t leave my flabber ghasted because I believe in any way it’s a real likelihood- just that it can be suggested that it wouldn’t be that bad an outcome..

And the plan is? If someone would just tell me the plan, I'd listen to it and take it in. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME THE PLAN.

The plan is to show the disappointment of the way he is running the football club. I saw an article on the local BBC new tonight about last Saturdays demo and it was very powerful. Even showed Phil Brown bringing the players out to show them how much it means to us.

I think he needs the supporters onside to achieve his aim. It sends a clear message that until he starts being unfront with us, we're not !

In a word no. Probably we are, at this point, nearer to financial stability than we have been for many many years. Due, of course, to the FF & RH developments.
At the same time it’s the very reason Ron will be going absolutely nowhere anytime soon.
The “pheonix” proposition doesn’t leave my flabber ghasted because I believe in any way it’s a real likelihood- just that it can be suggested that it wouldn’t be that bad an outcome..

I've got to ask, what's this pheonix thing mean. I'm not that up to date with you youngsters.

You won't be representing me, I'm in a state of realism to know if Ron walked away tomorrow we'd fold. We have no plan, no one who'd be willing to take over, it's just a stir up from Stan that the fans are jumping on.

See, this is my problem with opinions like this. I don't doubt that the waters are muddied by the intertwined natures of the club and the development plans. What makes you think "there's no one who'd be willing to take over"? Just because Ronnie says so? Thats the game of a tinpot dictator.....to make you believe that you need them. It's like that, or an abusive relationship where the abused party is in total denial. Stockholm Syndrome? Either way, it's a bit sad to see so many willing to stand by and watch Rome burn.

Oh, and protests would have happened with or without Stan Collymore's interjection.

I've got to ask, what's this pheonix thing mean. I'm not that up to date with you youngsters.

Neither am I (trust me lol). ie we start afresh (a phoenix from the flames). Like what AFC Wimbledon did. Only a thought ! Just so fed up with him giving us no concrete information regarding the finances of the football club or how the new stadium is going to benefit to club, anyway.

What developments ? After all these years, and we still do not have planning permission for the developments. And even if we did, how does this benefit the future of Southend United Football Club ?

Neither am I (trust me lol). ie we start afresh (a phoenix from the flames). Like what AFC Wimbledon did. Only a thought ! Just so fed up with him giving us no concrete information regarding the finances of the football club or how the new stadium is going to benefit to club, anyway.
I dont get how 3 sided stadium without a main stand will benefit the club! Literally no revenue streams will come into the club apart from ticket sales.

Exactly ! and not many ticket sales in non league, either.
No other club would build new stadium without a main stand. This is what you call owner building it on the cheap and then off he goes with his sack of doe...... iv said this before worse is to come and I believe that is true unfortunately.

No other club would build new stadium without a main stand. This is what you call owner building it on the cheap and then off he goes with his sack of doe...... iv said this before worse is to come and I believe that is true unfortunately.

Either, on the cheap or just enough to satisfy the covenant, or both ? Either way, there seems to be no thought gone into the future stability of SUFC. He did say our debts would be cleared, but is he a man of his word ? (he promised us MM would be manager to the end of the season). And what about future revenue streams. We have nothing concrete from him

Either, on the cheap or just enough to satisfy the covenant, or both ? Either way, there seems to be no thought gone into the future stability of SUFC. He did say our debts would be cleared, but is he a man of his word ? (he promised us MM would be manager to the end of the season). And what about future revenue streams. We have nothing concrete from him
Build a new stadium but with the right facilities ie 4 sides with main stand with capacity similar to roots Hall with the potential to expand. However you look at sufc current and future years doesn't look particularly bright. No wonder there such a disconnect with the fans and ron. He makes the club look like a joke!

And the plan is? If someone would just tell me the plan, I'd listen to it and take it in. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME THE PLAN.

Post 5 on this thread.....

Absolutely correct comment to be making. This is something we will be publishing as soon as possible, but we are mindful that we want to work with others, see what happens with discussions this week and, of course, we will be lead by whether we still have a survival chance on the day.

Watch this space!

Let us just set out a few lines for absolute clarity.

1. The protest / demonstration / rally, call it what you like, is being organised by Save Our Southend, and is being supported by other supporter organisations. As soon we as know who has signed up (and they have a process to go through), we will share those details. The Custard Splat, Blues on Tour, All At Sea and Shrimperzone have, others are discussing it. We'd like a unified approach, hopefully we'll get it.

2. We've been attempting dialogue with the Chairman for a few weeks, but are either being fobbed off or, as you've seen recently, been presented with statements that don't address anything. I think most of us agree the Zoom meetings haven't taken us anywhere - and we have tried. Really, we have.

3. The involvement from Stan is helpful. If nothing else, it is has given what is going on here some serious publicity both within our supporter base and beyond. However, we do not know what the outcome of any talks will be. We were planning before Stan was involved, he has helped our cause but it is wrong to suggest we've jumped on that particular horse, we were riding our own horse already and we still are. But, we must be mindful that his involvement could positively change the situation or provide access to resources we didn't previously have.

4. Let us be clear, this is not a Martin Out event. Whilst I am sure many hold the desire that he should go, and I am sure some people will make that point - we don't as yet have an alternative backer - or at least one that I know of. The objectives will be about creating change in the way the club is run. I am fairly sure pretty much everyone involved in this club recognises that it has not been run properly for some time - hence our current predicament.

So, the objectives you seek are not finalised yet because we do not know how the land lies at this moment in time. We will do as the week comes to a close and we will share them, obviously. Transparency is the key here, we are very mindful that we do not want a group turning up for a shout with no strategy to take things forward into the summer and beyond, if needs be.

So, why are we publicising this now? I'd rather we were out there campaigning, organising and sharing ideas now rather than cobbling together a rushed plan with six days notice. "Planning" a word we don't hear often in these parts. So yes, there are gaps, but there are reasons why there are gaps, and these will be filled.

The really important thing. We'd like as many supporters to come along. We believe we are speaking for a majority (certainly our social media outlets suggest that). Some people will not agree with us, will not want to protest (and frankly, I never thought I'd be here again) or will simply want to stay away. It is important that as supporters we respect each other's positions and do not end up in a toxic environment that pits supporter against supporter - after all we all want the best for this club. Hopefully everyone will agree with that.

Hopefully that honest assessment gives you all some clarity of what is going here, and if you don't want to be part of it - fair enough. No hard feelings.

We'll provide updates as soon as can.

Back