• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Save our Southend Protest Confirmed

I dont disagree, bit it may make RM even more resistant to talking to those groups organising the protest, if the aim is to remove him then thats fine, if the aim is top open f=dialogue it may back fire that was what I was saying.

We live in a free country and everyone has the right to voice the opinion on every subject and that is something I encourage all I was doing was pointing out it may not have the effect that maybe some would hope for if dialogue and openness is what is wanted
Dialog has been open for some months, and has got us quite frankly nowhere, in fact I would say all it has done is anger even more people. There comes a point when enough is enough and you have to show in numbers the dissatisfaction.

Dialog has been open for some months, and has got us quite frankly nowhere, in fact I would say all it has done is anger even more people. There comes a point when enough is enough and you have to show in numbers the dissatisfaction.

Exactly this. How many times do we attempt to do it through dialogue, before we get tired of being fobbed off, lied to, taken off on tangents and treated like idiots?

You saw 1 post of somebody mentioning it, which got shut down by ‘the pub landlady’ as you call her. Thought I better mention it got shut down for context..
I know what you're referring to, and I think it's a bit of a stretch to call them 'plans'. One bloke has mentioned going the pub beforehand and got quickly shut down. No reason to rubbish the demonstration plans. The vast majority want to do this in the right way. Unity.
Let's be clear, I haven't had time to scrutinise everything that's been said because I happen to be incredibly busy at work. I saw a post and some responses. I've not seen it being "shut down" and I've not rubbished the plans for the protest. So please stop casting aspersions where none are intended, I've raised a concern, that is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have watched the zoom call and am aware, but i thought the idea was for openness via dialogue and moving forward with regular meetings as stated in the call, thats why i raised that point, as just saying it could be counterintuitive.

Having worked in the sport and been through this at a club i just wanted you make sure you had seen that prospect, it wasn’t meant as a put down just hilighting.

Let's be clear, I haven't had time to scrutinise everything that's been said because I happen to be incredibly busy at work. I saw a post and some responses. I've not seen it being "shut down" and I've not rubbished the plans for the protest. So please stop casting aspersions where none are intended, I've raised a concern, that is all.
But 1 random post does not constitute plans does it, it was shut down literally minutes after and this was yesterday! You not think it prudent to check the post before making claims that plans are afoot for a pub crawl? Looks shut down to me! BBD47FC2-3C8C-405C-B262-4277816AFA19.jpeg

You could say that the initial comment that started this back and forth was casting an aspersion. But your concern is noted.

Scott, for goodness sake, I saw the original post and not the response. Stop jumping on everything I say as being some personal dig at what you're doing. Whatever she says, there will be people there who've had a few beers, and the seafront pubs are certainly open, having driven along there at the weekend and seeing the pavements rammed outside them.

It's the same with any public protest or demonstration, the majority will adhere to the original plans but you have to be prepared for some who will not - you said the same thing yourself that there were some "Ron Out" chants last Saturday, despite that not being the objective.

Scott, for goodness sake, I saw the original post and not the response. Stop jumping on everything I say as being some personal dig at what you're doing. Whatever she says, there will be people there who've had a few beers, and the seafront pubs are certainly open, having driven along there at the weekend and seeing the pavements rammed outside them.

It's the same with any public protest or demonstration, the majority will adhere to the original plans but you have to be prepared for some who will not - you said the same thing yourself that there were some "Ron Out" chants last Saturday, despite that not being the objective.
Ok last thing I will say on this, you saw a post yesterday not today, just 1 post, minutes later it’s shut down. Over 24 hours later you claim plans are afoot without thinking I better check that post has not spiralled into anything concrete? I am not jumping on your post, I think it’s your good self replying to a thread I started, it’s not me approaching you today or yesterday it’s yourself with the statements that have been unhelpful and with terrible undertones.
I was not there last Saturday, lastly I know there is always a risk and you can only plan as best you can. Having said that thank you for your feedback and have a superb day

Ok last thing I will say on this, you saw a post yesterday not today, just 1 post, minutes later it’s shut down. Over 24 hours later you claim plans are afoot without thinking I better check that post has not spiralled into anything concrete? I am not jumping on your post, I think it’s your good self replying to a thread I started, it’s not me approaching you today or yesterday it’s yourself with the statements that have been unhelpful and with terrible undertones.
I was not there last Saturday, lastly I know there is always a risk and you can only plan as best you can. Having said that thank you for your feedback and have a superb day
That's you reading into things personally as you have always done with me going back over a decade. You've tried to cause trouble between myself and a very good friend by your mis-reading of my comments when all I am trying to do is advise caution. I will say no more on this subject here and confine myself to the match related threads.

Perhaps that is why the plan should be the 50 + 1 model which having found out more about allows the fans (members) 51% of the vote on decisions made. This then would allow fans to have their say in most decisions, if not all?, that bit I’m not completely sure on at the moment. But let’s say Ron then wanted to change the emblem, nickname and shirt colour we would be able to vote to say no thank you ?

This convenant. I don't believe it exists. We couldn't track it down when we were going through the same process with Jobson in the 90s. It was just referred to as a thing, but no one had seen it. Back then of course we still had people who were involved in the transfer of the ground to the club! No one since has confirmed they've seen it

It may well be an urban myth or a piece of paper that has long been shreaded.

If anyone has seen it or can verify its existence, it would be really helpful to have sight of it!

And there lay the problem

Perhaps that is why the plan should be the 50 + 1 model which having found out more about allows the fans (members) 51% of the vote on decisions made. This then would allow fans to have their say in most decisions, if not all?, that bit I’m not completely sure on at the moment. But let’s say Ron then wanted to change the emblem, nickname and shirt colour we would be able to vote to say no thank you ?

For years the Trust have asked for a place on the board, to represent the supporters views. He's always declined the idea. If the fans want 51% he'd want the value of 51% of the shares, and so far he'd been unwilling to sell the anybody.

For years the Trust have asked for a place on the board, to represent the supporters views. He's always declined the idea. If the fans want 51% he'd want the value of 51% of the shares, and so far he'd been unwilling to sell the anybody.
It’s 51% of the vote not the shares so if decisions voted on by fans start moving the club in the right direction again surely his investment becomes more valuable?

It’s 51% of the vote not the shares so if decisions voted on by fans start moving the club in the right direction again surely his investment becomes more valuable?

Shareholders have the ultimate say in voting matters, and his company owns 70% of them. The Trust have tried to be part of the voting process and he's declined their wishes. He doesn't want anybody else making decisions (why would he, it's his co.s money at stake).

That’s what the 50+1 model means, but as Supa Shrimpa points out RM is reticent to do that as it stands right now, I also don’t see him changing his mind on that. If the government says that this change is a must then i see issues around people not wanting to put in what they do now, for instance shirt sponsorship a chairman wants a deal with a betting company worth say 100k per season but the fans don’t like the idea of a betting company so they veto it and want to accept a 60k deal with what ever company. 40k difference right there now that’s a small example but it will magnify with a lot of issues and then the chairman/owner says I’m not financing the shortfall what happens then? Do people expect that financing to continue even tho 51 out of a 100 votes could veto anything and everything he proposes?

I like the model but I do think there are issues for non self sustaining clubs

Shareholders have the ultimate say in voting matters, and his company owns 70% of them. The Trust have tried to be part of the voting process and he's declined their wishes. He doesn't want anybody else making decisions (why would he, it's his co.s money at stake).
I’m in agreement why would he but then what is this protest for? We could all just sign the petition and hope that the government makes a legislative change in this country. We could just start to boycott everything until he listens but most of all we do all need to stand behind one cause which from the majority of posts it is to be listened to and as that hasn’t worked protesting for the 50+1 for me would be the next step before eventually boycotting and not purchasing anything.

That’s what the 50+1 model means, but as Supa Shrimpa points out RM is reticent to do that as it stands right now, I also don’t see him changing his mind on that. If the government says that this change is a must then i see issues around people not wanting to put in what they do now, for instance shirt sponsorship a chairman wants a deal with a betting company worth say 100k per season but the fans don’t like the idea of a betting company so they veto it and want to accept a 60k deal with what ever company. 40k difference right there now that’s a small example but it will magnify with a lot of issues and then the chairman/owner says I’m not financing the shortfall what happens then? Do people expect that financing to continue even tho 51 out of a 100 votes could veto anything and everything he proposes?

I like the model but I do think there are issues for non self sustaining clubs
Then perhaps it shows another potential investor that the SUFC fans have a moral compass and eventually over time the decisions that get made will show the direction that the fans wish to take the club? If investor(S) and supporters are aligned then everything will slowly but surely move in the right direction. Lowering the ticket prices may have a short term impact but also sends a message and eventually the working man/woman is able to afford to watch football again and take his/her son/daughter with them. A season ticket in Germany and don’t quote me is around £200 the most expensive at in England is around £2000. I guess at the end of the day it’s whether or not you see any value in the above

Then perhaps it shows another potential investor that the SUFC fans have a moral compass and eventually over time the decisions that get made will show the direction that the fans wish to take the club? If investor(S) and supporters are aligned then everything will slowly but surely move in the right direction. Lowering the ticket prices may have a short term impact but also sends a message and eventually the working man/woman is able to afford to watch football again and take his/her son/daughter with them. A season ticket in Germany and don’t quote me is around £200 the most expensive at in England is around £2000. I guess at the end of the day it’s whether or not you see any value in the above
puting season ticket prices for me is irrelevant as they salaries over the whole squads are so different between England and anywhere else on the whole (some exceptions) and htis the recoup that by having higher prices.

I get what your saying and I would like it to work here just have my doubts

Last edited:
The club and ground need to be separated from the property empire/****show. Ron can have his loot there if there is any left...
no one will want to own or invest in a club that pays rent to some slumlord ..
if Ron wants to continue to own sufc post the slum development, then it must be as a seperate entity , club, ground facilities.. other wise the whole exercise is fairly pointless .

Back