• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A bunch of ladies protested on the C2C trains yesterday over the proposal for TV's on trains :

Read Full Story

------------------------------------------------------------
Courtesy of The Times Online edition:

Sit-down protest over TVs for trains foiled by broken toilets
By Alan Hamilton
Commuters object to rail company’s news and adverts plan

A PARTY of protesting ladies who tried to lock themselves in the lavatory yesterday were thwarted when they found that it was out of order.
Passengers on the 7.13am commuter service to London from Thorpe Bay, Essex, had hatched a demonstration against the train company’s plan to install television screens in each carriage, breaching that silent barrier zone of semi-consciousness between bed and work with news, commercials and travel updates.

The ladies proposed to vent their ire by spending the entire journey in the toilets, the only place on the train where the babbling screens will be out of earshot. It wasn’t quite standing in front of a tank in Tiananmen Square, but it would have made a point.

Unfortunately, the protesters failed to take account of the fact that they were travelling on a peak-hour commuter train in the South-East of England; the toilets were out of order.

What was conceived as a mass lock-in ended up with three ladies eventually finding a working toilet after many supporters had got off the train, and cramming into it for a good ten minutes.

The gesture might never have reached a wider world had not one of the ringleaders been Anneliese Dodds, the prospective Labour parliamentary candidate for Billericay. Anyone trying to overturn a Tory majority of 5,013 needs all the publicity they can get, however slender the stunt.

“We ended up with three of us in one toilet. Because they are designed for wheelchairs, they are quite big,” Ms Dodds said after her ordeal.

She is not alone, however, in her opposition to the invasion of commuter time. Pauline Cridland, of the Thurrock Rail Users’ Group, which is also opposed to in-train television, said: “We have been bombarded with protests that this would vandalise passengers’ own time to read, doze, study or think.”

Jonathan O’Neil, spokesman for the train operating company c2c, dismissed the protests as uninformed. “A portion of each carriage will be without screens, and we will extend that ban to mobile phones and personal stereos,” he said.

But he admitted two key points: that the volume would be turned up as trains went through tunnels, and his company expected to make a profit from the screens. He said that protesters had not tried to discuss the issue with the company. “We aren’t ashamed in the slightest that we will make a profit from the screens,” he said. “There is a section of society that seems to have missed that the railways were privatised in 1995.”

At least British Rail left you in peace to be late.

I was unlucky enough to be in a carriage containing these screens a few weeks ago.

I remember the looping TV program promised me up the the minute real time train information every five minutes.....as I wated for half an hour outside of Pitsea with no announcement as to why or for how long my journey would be delayed.

And I bet these same women are the ones who decided to gossip non stop with the group of friends all the way to Fenchurch St. I know I would prefer listening to adverts or programmes that is proposed to be shown on these TVs rather than the inane drivel such groups spout at annoyingly loud levels.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Feb. 09 2005,09:09)]another example of how many sad c**ts we got in this country!
sexist pig.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]She is not alone, however, in her opposition to the invasion of commuter time. Pauline Cridland, of the Thurrock Rail Users’ Group, which is also opposed to in-train television, said: “We have been bombarded with protests that this would vandalise passengers’ own time to read, doze, study or think.”

Maybe i should write to these people demanding them to demonstrate for all commuters to be bound and gagged during the journey so that no one will be able to disturb anyone else's quality train time. After all that is why we work in London, to enjoy this period of time each morning and evening.

Think the TV's are a crap idea!! Thankfully i have my music to drown out all the other crap and allow me to doze peacefully in and out of London.

PS - How long until the TV's are vandalised!!

I think we should see about getting BluesTV to provide a short snippet for the screens, giving C2C commuters the latest news from Roots Hall. That is after all local news, and means we may get in before the other mob on the C2C line and we are subjected to the latest from Upton Park (in answer to a previous question, that is when they will be vandalised - by me!).

Ah Ron my thoughts exactly.

For those who have not seen these TVs here is the Piccy!

Also if anyone has gone on the Heathrow Express from Paddington would know what this is all about.

Also here is the site from the company that is paying for the installation of these TVs, c2c is not paying one penny for them and will be earning money from the advertising revenue. After all i would rather they earnt money this way then have my season ticket increased to match the prices of other commuter lines into London.

360 onboard.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Feb. 09 2005,10:23)]Ah Ron my thoughts exactly.
So Scriv, is it worth making enquiries? They may well be so grateful for the content to be provided that they won't see it as advertising and therefore won't charge. So for the cost of just editing a short piece and providing the DVD or video tape to the company providing this service the club gets great exposure and publicity.

It might just work!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Feb. 09 2005,10:37)]hope they show Countdown for when I'm on the way home
Talk about drag it down to the gutter Lee. There we were having a serious discussion about promoting the interests of the club and you just go on about your Carol Vorderman fetish........

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Feb. 09 2005,11:10)]I could have said 'Trisha' for when I'm on the way in to work
wink.gif
It should be on Skysports News in the morning and VH Classic on the way home.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 09 2005,10:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Feb. 09 2005,10:37)]hope they show Countdown for when I'm on the way home
Talk about drag it down to the gutter Lee. There we were having a serious discussion about promoting the interests of the club and you just go on about your Carol Vorderman fetish........

wink.gif
He's not interested in ol' Vorderman ...

oops.gif
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Feb. 09 2005,13:47)]
[b said:
[b said:

wink.gif

oops.gif

wink.gif
Are you saying that Leeboy dreams of going 'twice nightly' with Richard Whitely?

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 09 2005,13:52)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

wink.gif

oops.gif

wink.gif
Are you saying that Leeboy dreams of going 'twice nightly' with Richard Whitely?

wink.gif
Leeboy only dreams about Che!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ Feb. 09 2005,14:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 09 2005,13:52)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

wink.gif

oops.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif
Leeboy only dreams about Che!!
One from the top and the rest from the bottom please Che.....I mean Carol.....

tounge.gif

Back