• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Emotions are understandably running high at the moment. It's been a roller coaster of an afternoon and I wasn't even at the game. It looked all for the world that it was going to be settled early on but then the footballing gods who are quite often cruel made us sit through a crazy half hour where one moment we were sixth and the at the very end we were denied.

That said, I for one am immensely proud of everyone associated with Southend United. A lot has been said over the last few weeks, myself included about the teams mentality to hold it together when it really matters but today in a pressure situation we held our nerve and done our jobs. Unfortunately for us it didn't go away but I am still so proud of how the season has planned out for us.

It's easy to forget just how poorly we started the season with just one win in the opening seven games which included defeats to Port Vale who today were relegated and Gillingham at home who only just survived in this league. What happened next though I don't think any of us could have predicted. Just two defeats in the following two and a half months paralleled us in to the dizzying heights of the play offs whilst playing some of the best football I've seen from a Southend team since the days of Tilly and Brush. Unfortunately for us, the last few weeks of the season we seemingly caved in to the pressures of sustaining the push for a top six finish.

Full credit has to go to Phil Brown and the players though, they've been largely excellent this season. The likes of Anton Ferdinand, Simon Cox and Ryan Leonard if all are still here next season gives me hope that we can push on next season with a few additions to the squad. The league will no doubt be as competitive as ever though with the likes of Portsmouth and Plymouth coming up and Rotherham and Wigan dropping down with one of Blackburn or Nottingham to join, next seasons League One is going to be highly competitive.

The future though is seemingly bright for us fans, with the news of the stadium being submitted to the council, with a squad of players and a management team who will want to bounce back next season and who I believe have the quality to take the next step next season, we have plenty to look forward to.

All that remains to be said is once again, thank you to the players and management for making this a very enjoyable season with plenty of good memories to take away from.

Now that the season is over, I wish you all a good summer.. hopefully you will all be refreshed and ready to go again in August.

Come on you Blues!

Would have taken it at the beginning of the season but not a month ago. Just gutted. The play offs would have been beyond tricky I feel but next season...

If we had played against MK Dons, Charlton and Shrewsbury like we played today, we would have been well into the play offs before todays game even.

Time for the to have a good end of season party, go on holiday and enjoy family time. They can then re-group, PB can get rid of those who aren't good enough. He needs to target and get new players in early next season rather than 6 weeks in and we may have a chance

When I came home from an abject 0-3 defeat at Rochdale, which remember was the back of hidings at both Scunthorpe and Northampton, we looked a team doomed to relegation. We had little defensive ability, couldn't create changes, couldn't convert those we did make and had little in the way of tactics or teamplan. We had 12 points and were 22nd. We were going down. People were shouting for the manager's head. It was horrible and toxic.

So to be sitting here at the end, disappointed at not making the play offs, says everything. We are disappointed because we should have made them, but lost two games at the end that cost us dear.

If you had told me that on the way back from Dale, I'd have a laughed at you.

So, yes, I am proud of the them. They did so well from Dale onwards and played some really decent stuff at times. I've enjoyed the season, and I think there is more enough for PB to build on and maybe not even worry about play offs next term.

Well said Sir!
We just need to believe a little more and eradicate the lethargy that creeps in for some reason...eg Shrewsbury Town away and MK Dons at home.
This football club is on the UP!

Can only echo what the OP has said. Many positives to take from this season, the future is bright, and as long as Brown is in charge, the future is also orange.
Been great to see such large crowds both home and away this season.
Can't wait until August, next year could be the year....

UTB!

Hear, hear.

The heart will never let me do anything other than cheer for us to win, but the head says that we're in a good place right now, all considered, and that a bit of stability wouldn't be the worst thing in the world ahead of a stadium move which could hopefully be the making of us.

I'm really proud of the players and staff for the way they've dragged us up the table into such a commendable position, and the entertaining fashion in which they've done it. I hope that any key players who are out of contract will stick around. If they do, and we make smart additions, there's no reason why we can't carry the feelgood factor into next season and make it a special one.

I must admit there was a tear in my eye as I stood making the ****** sign at Cuckoo Corner to departing Bury fans this evening .

Southend since the eighties. There for the highs and lows. Proud the way we finished the season, after the start was preparing for league 2. I'd love another play off push next z
Season

Nothing to add to the OP's excellent post. Went to the last 4 games, everytime believing we would still do it but it was not to be.

Well done RM, PB & a great squad of players; but take a bow the Blues support, a great atmosphere in all those final games, you guys couldn't have done more.

Have a great summer all.

The start of the season aside (when I wanted to slit my throat whilst watching abject tactics by PB), I enjoyed the season and was proud to be a Shrimper (as I always am), but I still think it was Adam Barrett who read PB the riot act and got the tactics changed from those of boring demoralising negativity to having 9 attacking players in the squad.

Shamefully Adam paid the price for daring to question PB, as have others who dared to do the same!

The start of the season aside (when I wanted to slit my throat whilst watching abject tactics by PB), I enjoyed the season and was proud to be a Shrimper (as I always am), but I still think it was Adam Barrett who read PB the riot act and got the tactics changed from those of boring demoralising negativity to having 9 attacking players in the squad.

Shamefully Adam paid the price for daring to question PB, as have others who dared to do the same!

Post of the year.

Did I miss something? Did AB take a new drug that restored his fitness and speed back five years?
Love AB but we lost games because he was too slow and nowhere near the level he used to reach.
All PB fault of course...is why there was a stack of clubs offering Adam a playing contract.
He got too old to play. Everyone does.

Did I miss something? Did AB take a new drug that restored his fitness and speed back five years?
Love AB but we lost games because he was too slow and nowhere near the level he used to reach.
All PB fault of course...is why there was a stack of clubs offering Adam a playing contract.
He got too old to play. Everyone does.
I agree with all of that. But I wasn't referring to Ab's playing ability. Don't forget he was club captain and that was a PB decision. I was alluding the way in which AB and others have been treated after giving an opinion.

You agree with that, I agree with that and much of our support agrees with that.
BUT..perhaps a proud footballer who loves his club - did not agree that his time was up. I would not have wanted Adam to do anything other than disagree.
Perhaps therein was the true issue between AB & PB - if there ever was an issue.
People overlook the highly likely scenario that it was Adam and his immense pride, determination and enthusiasm to play for Southend United that may have made the relationship difficult??
When you get told "sorry son" - it hurts!!!

Back