• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Proud Shrimpers - LGBTQ+ & Allies Supporters Group

Of course I am an ally. I will try to defend, champion or protect any person that feels vulnerable or abused. I just want to see the group do it holistically and not introduce splinter groups. Perhaps SZ could lead the way with a thread category where people can write of the angst or abuse and others can determine how to help. Communication and education are the keys. We all have to accept our individual responsibility and act upon it. This is the perfect opportunity for Blues fans to show the world of football what inclusivity means.

Why's it a splinter group?

Was City Shrimpers a splinter group? Are the Exiled Shrimpers a splinter group?

Surely inclusivity is about accepting that a LGBT+ group has a right to exist, much like City Shrimpers, Exiled Shrimpers etc.

Why's it a splinter group?

Was City Shrimpers a splinter group? Are the Exiled Shrimpers a splinter group?

Surely inclusivity is about accepting that a LGBT+ group has a right to exist, much like City Shrimpers, Exiled Shrimpers etc.

This has been adequately covered. No one is denying their right to exist but questioning their need to exist. If we, as a group, behave responsibly, then there is no need. Let's do the right thing collectively.
Anyway, if I'm wrong, then the group has had a super amount of advertising on this thread because it was debated. No one is on the attack and 'live and let live.' I just wanted to know why it was felt necessary to have another group trying to eradicate the problems that we should all be tackling anyway. It's sad that the abused and marginalised feel their voice is not being heard through the current channels. Perhaps we ain't listening enough?

If it means one more person is likely to attend thinking they will feel safer as there are other people identifying as LGBT+ in a well supported fan group then that in itself is enough for me.
It's not a splinter group, we are all supporting the same team.
Maybe everyone isn't hearing the casual racism or homophobia in the same way but it's there and only the person hearing it can decide whether it's enough to make them not want to come again. It isn't limited to football but no one can deny competitive sports brings it out in people.
If this means people think twice about shouting something offensive then great.
Until society is inclusive a group like this can only be a good thing. We've come a long way but there's a lot further to go.
Just make everyone feel welcome, it's not difficult, no one is asking anything of anyone that isn't common human decency.

Most clubs have a variety of supporters club groups, especially larger clubs. I have seen a whole page worth of groups in match programmes of premier league clubs, mostly regional ones. Arsenal are a good example of a club that has a variety of groups and probably has the most diverse fan base I have seen. They have an LGBTQ+ group amongst these so it is good we also now have an equivalent of this for fellow Shrimpers who are part of the spectrum.

This is my point. You say gay clubs don't bar straight people. So if everyone goes there is it a gay bar or a bar? If this new LGBTQ+ group is open to all, and we all join, is it a LGBTQ+ shrimpers or just shrimpers? We have a shrimpers group and as far as I understand it is open to everyone. Job done.
Isn't the point of a gay bar that a gay person can be openly gay in one without being treated differently for it? A gay bar with a lot of straight people in it would still be different to a normal bar because of that.

I don't understand this need for a new group when as far as I'm concerned everyone's welcome!
If I am standing at a bar talking to a fellow shrimper who I've just met! I'm talking football and wouldn't worry about their sexuality for one minute.
Sorry but don't get it.
My sister in law used to drink in a gay bar because she felt safer, could understand that more, but surely we are in this together UTB.

Then that makes you an ally doesn't it?

I don't get the whole allies thing. Surely anyone that would stand up for someone's rights is just a normal inclusive thinking person. Why the need to then label these into categories.

I'm all for the LGBTQ+ groups, however the term allies for me will always be associated with WW1 and WW2.

And if you weren't on the side of the allies then you was on the other side.

I don't get the whole allies thing. Surely anyone that would stand up for someone's rights is just a normal inclusive thinking person. Why the need to then label these into categories.

I'm all for the LGBTQ+ groups, however the term allies for me will always be associated with WW1 and WW2.

And if you weren't on the side of the allies then you was on the other side.

It is social justice newspeak for someone who is not a member of a certain identity group who politically and socially acquiesces to that identity group.

Back