• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Similar thing though at Southampton, the tribute to Alan Ball, the respect we showed set up things for the way their supporters behaved towards us as the match went on.

Have to agree here, southampton was an amazing experience.

Also Swansea, when we won promotion, Fantasic

Have to agree here, southampton was an amazing experience.

Also Swansea, when we won promotion, Fantasic

You're right about Swansea, that were brilliant all the way home and the pride stayed with us through the summer 'till the new season started.

I mean, to think we mugged off the sheep botherers on that last day too at home to Drizzle Rvrs, superb! You couldn't have written a better script.

On a personal level, the proudest moment for me was walking along the seafront on victory parade day with my 2yr old twin toddlers draped in everything Southend i could find at home. Everyone kept smiling at them as we walked, what a sight!

Of course, how did I forget?!?!?! :doh:

The West Ham fans I knew around town were very quiet after that!

I'd suggest beating Wet Sham had more to do with happiness than pride. Otherwise they'd be a lot of proud teams out there. That isn't to diminish in anyway the joy that we experienced - its still probably my favourite moment of being a Shrimper.

Being a mascot once
Our support at Southampton and Doncaster
Beating Man U at Roots hall
Drawing with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge
Taking Spurs into extra time at White hart Lane
The LDV final at the millenium stadium

The end of the first play-off semi final against Col U, when it suddenly dawned on me that we were going to the LDV final at the Millenium.

Probably the only time I have had tears in my eyes of happiness listening to Simply the Best being played over the tannoy.

I think that one of the things that threads of this nature really serve to underline is just how lucky most of us are to have witnessed the past couple of decades. Most football fans grow up hearing these fantastical stories of their clubs' finest hours and trying to work out what's truth and what's embellishment.

We've been there and seen it. The championships, promotions, cup finals, results against the biggest clubs in the land, an extended run at a high level and much loved players going on to win England caps and establish successful top flight careers, in an age when TV makes it possible for us to monitor their progress like never before.

In terms of pride, for me the League One championship parade will be hard to top. I grew up in the eighties and nineties when only a small, persecuted minority supported the local team. To see the town really get behind the club in such numbers and with such enthusiasm was something else, especially for a semi-exile who rarely ventures back into the area other than on matchdays. 10 years ago that parade would probably have bore closer resemblance to the one that took place in the north of the county that season - the difference in goodwill towards the club now and then is pretty astounding.

The two times I've welled up with tears of joy and pride supporting Southend are when they ran out onto the pitch at the Millenium Stadium in the first LDV Final and when Kevin Maher lifted the League One trophy at Roots Hall.

My proudest moment as a Shrimper regards pride in the fans as demonstrated at Donny Rovers last season. Epitomised by memories of sitting in the car on the way out and having Rovers' fans banging on the window and telling us how magnificently we had supported our team. I had a subsequent moment where I sold my car to a Donny fan through eBay; he saw the "Shrimpers on Tour" number plate and commented on how they still refer to us when talking about how they should get behind their team.

The time I've been proudest of the team though has to be Man Utd. Darryl's saves, Hooper having Rooney in his pocket, and Freddy's goal; the stuff that dreams are made of!

My most proudest moment was seeing Southend United lining up for the national anthem at the Millenium Stadium vs Blackpool. Little old Southend playing in their first major final. I had a little tear in my eye at that stage.

Ruined by a dubious goal right at the begining of the game, such is life

Play off Final - What a day!
Game v Brizzle City when we won League 1 Party in the far post afterwards was superb.... However Gower ignoring my wish for him to sign my shirt and pushing past me was a little sour!
Tilly holding me Red Elonex Shirt above his head will stick in my memory for ever
Two truly wonderful days!

7th April 1993.

The sheer joy of walking into a pub full of Shammers, who'd spent my entire life telling me I ought to support a proper team and asking them "tell me chaps, what was the score" and then looking at their glum, sulking, ugly, Cockney mugs.

My proudest moment as a Shrimper regards pride in the fans as demonstrated at Donny Rovers last season. Epitomised by memories of sitting in the car on the way out and having Rovers' fans banging on the window and telling us how magnificently we had supported our team. I had a subsequent moment where I sold my car to a Donny fan through eBay; he saw the "Shrimpers on Tour" number plate and commented on how they still refer to us when talking about how they should get behind their team.

I had a knee op the day before so was laid up at home watching the game, was amazing to watch our fans on TV the commentators couldn't believe it! Would have been even more amazing to have actually been there though, despite the result! :'(

I shall have to agree with the posts about being there as the team walked out at Cardiff.... A moment I never thought I would experience as a Southend fan. It still feels odd looking at the pictures I had taken of our little club playing on that ground!

The Doncaster playoff second leg match as well, despite the scoreline, the support was amazing. I ended up going to a pub in Leicester alone to watch (I know....), quite a few people came over and talked about the amazing support.

I even had a couple of Arsenal fans buy me some Whisky to help me cope with the scoreline!

3 of mine:
1) The LDV Final against Blackpool, what a day, shame we didn't win but was proud to see my team at the Millenium Stadium playing in a final
2) Wayne Gray scoring against Bristol City, one of the best moments of my life probably, I know it's sad!
3) Shaun Goater coming off against Bristol City, more proud of him than the team but he deserved that ovation, one of the only times I have seen everyone in Roots Hall, home and away, stand up and clap for a few minutes to say goodbye to a legend, read his autobiography which was fantastic and made me respect the man even more

3 of mine:
2) Wayne Gray scoring against Bristol City, one of the best moments of my life probably, I know it's sad!
3) Shaun Goater coming off against Bristol City, more proud of him than the team but he deserved that ovation, one of the only times I have seen everyone in Roots Hall, home and away, stand up and clap for a few minutes to say goodbye to a legend, read his autobiography which was fantastic and made me respect the man even more

Bristol City was beautiful.

Back