• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Being reasonably new to this board I'll apologise in advance to you 'older' members as I'm sure this thread would have been posted before.
Reading about Alan Moody triggered off the nostalgic side of me and I started going over some of the greatest moments being a blue.
One of the most vivid was our cup exploit to Goodison Park around 1995/6/7. I travelled up by car with my son, who as well as being a shrimper was/is a mad Liverpool fan. We deliberately arrived early to take in a visit to Anfield and spent some time looking at the gates etc. It was amazing that Liverpool fans recognised our 'colours' and responded with plenty of 'stuff the b------s' and even a couple of Liverpool players wished us well(David Burrows was def one). The game itself was one of the best displays I've ever witnessed by a Southend team. After going 1 - 0 down to a Peter Beardsley goal pretty early in the first half we dominated the game from that point on. I'll never forget the sight of us playing the ball out from the back(in our yellow shirts) through Keith Jones, who had his best ever game for the Blues and controlled the midfield. It was football at its best and being played by the mighty blues. Everton escaped with the victory by the skin of their teeth and to this day I have not seen Neville Southalls save from Benji in the closing minutes on TV, as the BBC only showed the goal (unless I missed it). I was hitting the roof of the stand when Benji connected in front of goal and couldn't believe it wasn't a goal. It must have been one hell of a save. The support on the day was immense and Everton fans were great towards us. The icing on the cake for me was that I had a customer who was a devoted Evertonian and he was gushing with the heroics of our boys and conceded that Everton were mighty lucky to win. I know having a memory of a defeat sounds a bit weird but this was something special and I'll never forget it.

Being reasonably new to this board I'll apologise in advance to you 'older' members as I'm sure this thread would have been posted before.
Reading about Alan Moody triggered off the nostalgic side of me and I started going over some of the greatest moments being a blue.
One of the most vivid was our cup exploit to Goodison Park around 1995/6/7. I travelled up by car with my son, who as well as being a shrimper was/is a mad Liverpool fan. We deliberately arrived early to take in a visit to Anfield and spent some time looking at the gates etc. It was amazing that Liverpool fans recognised our 'colours' and responded with plenty of 'stuff the b------s' and even a couple of Liverpool players wished us well(David Burrows was def one). The game itself was one of the best displays I've ever witnessed by a Southend team. After going 1 - 0 down to a Peter Beardsley goal pretty early in the first half we dominated the game from that point on. I'll never forget the sight of us playing the ball out from the back(in our yellow shirts) through Keith Jones, who had his best ever game for the Blues and controlled the midfield. It was football at its best and being played by the mighty blues. Everton escaped with the victory by the skin of their teeth and to this day I have not seen Neville Southalls save from Benji in the closing minutes on TV, as the BBC only showed the goal (unless I missed it). I was hitting the roof of the stand when Benji connected in front of goal and couldn't believe it wasn't a goal. It must have been one hell of a save. The support on the day was immense and Everton fans were great towards us. The icing on the cake for me was that I had a customer who was a devoted Evertonian and he was gushing with the heroics of our boys and conceded that Everton were mighty lucky to win. I know having a memory of a defeat sounds a bit weird but this was something special and I'll never forget it.

Think that was 1992!

Angell, Ansah, Benji, Keith Jones, Tilly etc - happy days.

One of my proudest Southend moments was at Liverpool, seeing Chrissy Powell play for England.

Happy days indeed YB.
I was struggling a bit to remember the team but was guessing as follows: Sansome, Austin, Powell, Jones, Prior, Scully, Ansah, Cornwell, Benji, Angell & Tilson. Can anyone confirm?

My most proudest moment was seeing Southend United lining up for the national anthem at the Millenium Stadium vs Blackpool. Little old Southend playing in their first major final. I had a little tear in my eye at that stage.

Happy days indeed YB.
I was struggling a bit to remember the team but was guessing as follows: Sansome, Austin, Powell, Jones, Prior, Scully, Ansah, Cornwell, Benji, Angell & Tilson. Can anyone confirm?

Spot on. According to Peter Mason and Dave Goody's book, the subs were Locke and Butler.

That was just 3 days after we'd beaten Newcastle 4-0 to go top.

Thanks YB. I thought Edwards might have been one of the subs but I suppose only two in those days. The Newcastle game was NYD, Ossie Ardiles sacked shortly after, we went top of Div 1(Championship) for a few hours. Overtaken by Cambridge(I think) who played at 3 pm when we kicked off at midday! I will say 1992 surprises me - how time flies.

Play-off final,so so proud.
Southampton at st marys,truely brilliant support,second to none.
and finally working all over the country,and being asked my team,and telling them the shrimpers, that makes me proud every time.

Defo one of the best was donny away. To have THAT many home fans come over to us and applaud was quite surreal. I actually thought at first they were coming over to kick off, but after seeing them clapping, it made me feel so proud to be a shrimper.
Surely the best moment(s) getting a result at stamford bridge, and of course, beating Man utd. That was one of those moments, after years of jokes and general p**s taking about being a southend fan, you could turn around, hold your head up high, and stick two fingers up at ever person who ever blasphemed by uttering a bad word against southend!

Happy days indeed YB.

I think its fair to say that was the best team we have had at any one time. I think we played pretty much this XI for a 15 game period from Nov to Feb which culminated in us being 2nd in the league with 17 games to go. We really should have reached the play offs that year but everything seemed to go wrong from the Charlton game onwards. A final position of 12th in the 2nd tier was our best ever and yet I felt deflated at the end.

Considering the level of opposition, the 2nd half performance at Goodison was the best and most complete I have seen. We completely ran the show (Keith Jones in particular) and should have at least forced a replay.

Strangely I have never seen one second of TV footage from this game, even the club video at the time omitted it.

That game was another occasion where my suspicion that the BBC actively dislike SUFC was proved - the only FA cup tie that day involving a Premiership team that didn't have a Radio reporter at the ground.

:darkcloud: :headbang:

The play-off final victory is the obvious answer. However, I'd also like to nominate the away game at QPR in the Championship. Before kick-off there was a minutes' silence for one of their youth-teamers who was tragically murdered but we started applauding and within a couple of seconds it rippled around Loftus Road. Definitely the moving moment I've seen at a football ground and the reaction from the QPR fans at the end made me very proud to be a Shrimper.

soon as i saw the title of this thread I thought of the Everton game. Absolutely slaughtered them in every way apart from the score, by a mile the best performance I have seen by a Southend side.

When you think that most of that side went on to play in the prem, it just makes you wonder what could have been if Vic hadn't p*ssed off Webby soon after that & we started to drift. I honestly think that side could have survived in the prem as it was then, but I guess we'll never know..

* Beating Newcastle 4-0 on NYD to go top of the 2nd tier.
* Chris Powell playing for England.
* Stan the Man playing for England.
* Seeing the mighty Blues run out for the LDV final at the Millenium Stadium.
* The standing ovation for Shaun Goater's last ever game when he was subbed.
* Being at the Hall to watch us beat Man Utd.
* Our support away at Southampton end of 06/07 season.
* Numerous well observed minute silences at the Hall.
* Whenever I encounter some wet sham/big four 'supporter' and they ask who i follow.

The play-off final victory is the obvious answer. However, I'd also like to nominate the away game at QPR in the Championship. Before kick-off there was a minutes' silence for one of their youth-teamers who was tragically murdered but we started applauding and within a couple of seconds it rippled around Loftus Road. Definitely the moving moment I've seen at a football ground and the reaction from the QPR fans at the end made me very proud to be a Shrimper.

Similar thing though at Southampton, the tribute to Alan Ball, the respect we showed set up things for the way their supporters behaved towards us as the match went on.

Back