• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

blue79

Banned
Good three piece spread in the Echo today.
clapping%20new%20august%202010.gif

First Paul Sturrock is handed a new rolling contract which I think is sensible and well deserved.:happy:

Secondly Tara Brady gives his take on his first anniversary as Chief Executive.

I've no idea pickledseal. I guess more will follow on the official site later today. But the Chris is clear in the Echo however that Paul has been handed a rolling contract. As for Tara he admits in the paper to not enjoying the football industry and that he's dissapointed with our average attendance. Thats all I can foresee to be honest. Nothing about Luggy's contract.

I've no idea pickledseal. I guess more will follow on the official site later today. But the Chris is clear in the Echo however that Paul has been handed a rolling contract. As for Tara he admits in the paper to not enjoying the football industry and that he's dissapointed with our average attendance. Thats all I can foresee to be honest. Nothing about Luggy's contract.

The point about the attendances always bugs me. It took us years to build that fanbase last time by offering some excellent deals on a regular basis. Since then all sorts have happened at the football club and we find ourselves playing league two football at £21 in a crumbling stadium.

I think given all thats gone on we have decent attendances. You only have to look at orient and col u in the division above to realise that we actually have a decent fan base.

It wasnt that long ago that the club said they budgeted for crowds of a 6k average. We are currently averaging 5900 odd and that will increase to mayeb 6500 -7000 with the end of season run in.

Get into league one and have a good season then i think 6-8k a game will be the norm again.

What do the club expect ? 8-10k every week at this level?

The point about the attendances always bugs me. It took us years to build that fanbase last time by offering some excellent deals on a regular basis. Since then all sorts have happened at the football club and we find ourselves playing league two football at £21 in a crumbling stadium.

I think given all thats gone on we have decent attendances. You only have to look at orient and col u in the division above to realise that we actually have a decent fan base.

It wasnt that long ago that the club said they budgeted for crowds of a 6k average. We are currently averaging 5900 odd and that will increase to mayeb 6500 -7000 with the end of season run in.

Get into league one and have a good season then i think 6-8k a game will be the norm again.

What do the club expect ? 8-10k every week at this level?

To get our average upto 6,500 by the end of the season we would need about 7,300 for each of our remaining 10 home games. To reach 7,000 average we would need about 8,400 for every game.

I wonder if there will be another £5 game this season? One they should maybe consider is the Crawley game.

Our away average this season so far is 615 compared to only 325 last season. This seasons would also be higher had we been able to take more fans to Wimbledon and Dagenham.

To get our average upto 6,500 by the end of the season we would need about 7,300 for each of our remaining 10 home games. To reach 7,000 average we would need about 8,400 for every game.

I wonder if there will be another £5 game this season? One they should maybe consider is the Crawley game.

Our away average this season so far is 615 compared to only 325 last season. This seasons would also be higher had we been able to take more fans to Wimbledon and Dagenham.
Not a bad shout that. Would make for a bigger crowd on a live TV game (or persuade some who would otherwise stay at home to come down to RH). Better atmosphere would go down well on TV and maybe persuade some floating voters to come along again. We're getting £30k extra revenue on that game as well, so the opportunity cost is offset.

Mind you, if the Crawley game wasn't on TV then I'd suggest a £5 game, if we had one, should be for the least attractive league game before Easter, so as to encourage a few more to hopefully pop along during the vital Easter run in.

I hate to talk too much about football as I am not that good at it !! But I spoke to my dad about this and he reckons that Ron Martin has alot to do about the averages, what he did to the club, the way he destroyed fans trust, the way the club treated local towns people, the way he treated player etc,my dad honestly believes that people have had there fill of him, and in his words 'As long as he is still a the helm some people will not lovingly support the club in the way that they used too. My father was one fo the fans that gave up a days money a few years ago to march to the Civic Centre to get planning etc and yes he is still quite bitter about these things.......... Obviously with Uni and things I dont go as often as I used to but Im excited we are up the top but it just doesnt fill me with such excitment as the Tilly promotions etc and that of course its just my personal opinion

I hate to talk too much about football as I am not that good at it !! But I spoke to my dad about this and he reckons that Ron Martin has alot to do about the averages, what he did to the club, the way he destroyed fans trust, the way the club treated local towns people, the way he treated player etc,my dad honestly believes that people have had there fill of him, and in his words 'As long as he is still a the helm some people will not lovingly support the club in the way that they used too. My father was one fo the fans that gave up a days money a few years ago to march to the Civic Centre to get planning etc and yes he is still quite bitter about these things.......... Obviously with Uni and things I dont go as often as I used to but Im excited we are up the top but it just doesnt fill me with such excitment as the Tilly promotions etc and that of course its just my personal opinion

Well, your Dad sounds a very learned & sensible man, can't disagree with any of what you posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any more details? CP said yesterday on Twitter Tara was still not happy about something?

In the echo today

tara is not happy because, despite of being to of the league, he is still getting letters / emails of complaint about the football , Also he was of the beleif that success attracted people to watch and the attendances are not what he was hoping for

In the echo today

Tara is not happy because, despite of being to of the league, he is still getting letters / emails of complaint about the football , Also he was of the belief that success attracted people to watch and the attendances are not what he was hoping for

Can't really argue with that per se.

Although attendances are down pretty much nationwide this season.

Tough times.

Last edited:
In the echo today

tara is not happy because, despite of being to of the league, he is still getting letters / emails of complaint about the football , Also he was of the beleif that success attracted people to watch and the attendances are not what he was hoping for

He ought to stop moaning we are in Lge 2 and there is a recession on.....He should take a look around the directors box these days and see how many empty seats there are next to him if he needs an example.

Tara is obviously a man not short of a bob or two. I think he needs to understand people are struggling big time. Bills are rising at an alarming rate, unemployment up another 100,000 yesterday. £20 for an adult tkt, with food etc is a lot to ask, even more for say a dad and 2 kids.
I'm surprised he is getting letters of complaint re the football. It hasnt been pretty at all times but Paul Sturrock has one remit and that is to get this club out of this division. To that degree he is doing a superb job. Passed 50 points by January, scored 50 goals already, signed some real top quality players. I firmly believe people will start to see a better team in terms of football and the attendances will soon increase. Could be worse, look at Crawley, barely get 2000 tthrough the gates, they will surely soon unravel.
I think perhaps the lack of promotions in terms of tkts is a turn off for some fans. Kids for a quid (even though I hate the little sh*ts), family fun days etc. I would hope there may be another fiver/tenner ticket game before the season ends. I think the nearer we get to the holy grail of promotion, the fans will come through the gates, and that trend will continue upwards next season.

Can't really argue with that per se.

Although attendances are down pretty much nationwide this season.

Tough times.
AS said this is league two, we are getting the level of attendances we are because of the division s were are in. The league position will be boosting attendancesand Im sure when it comes to the run in we will be getting a few 7000+ gates.

Unfortunately the Crawley game would have been a big one but now its on TV may not be as big. Tenner a ticket would be a good boost (£5 is too low for a top of the table clash).

Our attendances are about the same as the last time when we were in this league.

Its easy to blame Ron Martin for our lower attendances but the fact we are in League Two is the actual cause of lower turnouts, not some stay away protest. (Although RM can of course be blamed anyway as his actions resulted in us being here!).

If people were really staying away out of hatred of RM we wouldnt have got 10,000 against Morcamebe and wont get any 7000+ gates in the run in, but we will.

With higher ticket prices than when we were last in this league and a recession its actually impressive we are getting the amount we are getting in.

Avg Att 04/05 = 6077. High: 11735. Low: 3753

Avg Att 10/11 (to date) = 5895. High: 9782. Low: 4598

As long as we remain up the top, we're well placed to beat the 2004/05 average I feel.

Last edited:
Tara needs to wake up - attendances are much better than what they would have been and with some big games coming up, gates will only increase. All this without a marketing department. Last time around the publicity etc... was much better and that helped put bums on seats!

Avg Att 04/05 = 6077. High: 11735. Low: 3753

Avg Att 10/11 (to date) = 5895. High: 9782. Low: 4598

As long as we remain up the top, we're well placed to beat the 2004/05 average I feel.

Cheers Smiffy, thats what I found when I did the comparison before Christmas.

people seem to think that because we got 8000+ in the Championship that getting 5000 in league two is a disaster its not its people dont want to come to watch us play Burton in League Two.

The two major factors of attendances are League and League Position. Outside factors such as the scandals and style of football will affect the attendances but not anything in comparison to where we are in the league and the league itself.

Cheers Smiffy, thats what I found when I did the comparison before Christmas.

people seem to think that because we got 8000+ in the Championship that getting 5000 in league two is a disaster its not its people dont want to come to watch us play Burton in League Two.

The two major factors of attendances are League and League Position. Outside factors such as the scandals and style of football will affect the attendances but not anything in comparison to where we are in the league and the league itself.

Yep and our current average is also better than 15 League One sides.

When you look at it like that, we're doing ok.

We'll average 6,500+ by season end I think. As long as we remain in the mix.

Last edited:
Yep and our current average is also better than 15 League One sides.

When you look at it like that, we're doing ok.

Correct, so tell the thin white duke to zip it. Bluddy Pompey fans moaning all the time. :winking:

Back