• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Elvis

First XI
Yesterday was a great game to watch, but one thing is causing a bit of a split among blues supporters... the treatment of Eastwood.
For me yesterday it was a disgrace to see Benyon get on before Fred, who next if front of him for striker "Bentley", nothing against Benyon, but UNLESS Eastwood was injured he should not be getting on before him if we needed a goal.
Freddy is a Southend Legend, his goals, his transfer money, success when he was part of the team.... so while he is here he needs to be treated well... PS you have not got us promoted yet so not sure we hold you in the same manner we do Freddy.
PS please come clean about Eastwood. Get the doubters back on your side and a few words about the situation might cure the split.

To be honest I would play Benyon ahead of Fred. Fred has been rubbish in most the games he has played in and apart from maybe hus cameo against Exeter just hasn't produced. He has looked very disinterested and not worthy of his place. I loved him in his first spell here, but lets face it he is not the same player. The attitude and effort shown by Tomlin, Britt, Corr and even Benyon is streets ahead. Lets remember that Fred was signed by RM not PS and that must be a factor. The one thing I would say is I might have started him yesterday and again Tuesday just to see if his hunger is still there, but at what cost to the team. Legend yes but not the player he once was and people need to realise this. UTB

Yesterday was a great game to watch, but one thing is causing a bit of a split among blues supporters... the treatment of Eastwood.
For me yesterday it was a disgrace to see Benyon get on before Fred, who next if front of him for striker "Bentley", nothing against Benyon, but UNLESS Eastwood was injured he should not be getting on before him if we needed a goal.
Freddy was a Southend Legend, his goals, his transfer money, success when he was part of the team.... so while he is here he needs to be treated well... PS you have not got us promoted yet so not sure we hold you in the same manner we do Freddy.
PS please come clean about Eastwood. Get the doubters back on your side and a few words about the situation might cure the split.

As much as it pains me to make that correction, it had to be done. :sad:

I'd hazard a guess and say Sturrock simply doesn't want Eastwood here. Shame as I still believe Fred's capable of producing great things for us if he can (re)gain that match sharpness.

We know Sturrock likes his forwards to win headers, hustle defenders, track back & generally run their nuts off. Fred hasn't ever been that type of footballer. We know Fred is a lazy man, but he possesses that ability to turn a game in the blink of an eye, and i'd rather that and accept his laziness, other than the likes of Benyon or Harris who bust a gut, but don't have much goal threat about them whatsoever.

Sturrock has done wonders so far, but he's wrong about this situation iMO

There's a lot of nonsense spoken here about Eastwood, with stuff said as fact which people couldn't possibly know unless they're either Freddy Eastwood himself or are psychic.

That said it's hardly a "disgrace" that Sturrock decided to give Benyon a run out yesterday. He sees the players in training all week. Most of us do not.

Freddy is a Southend Legend, his goals, his transfer money, success when he was part of the team.... so while he is here he needs to be treated well... PS you have not got us promoted yet so not sure we hold you in the same manner we do Freddy.

I was always told if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all...

I think there is enough on the match thread to explain why-- and it appears that Sturrock gave the facts at the Pie and pint night-- but people do not want to listen or believe. I agree that I would like to know why he is not fit and what our expectations should be

You are joking right? That is the past. He should now get a game on his merits NOW, not what he did 7 years ago.

What next, Paul Sturrock should be cleaning Freddys boots.

Paul Sturrock will pick Freddy when he feels Freddy is the best option to play. Sturrock obviously doesn't think Freddy is good enough/the right fit/fit enough right now. Sturrock would not keep Freddy out of the team for no reason. He's not treating him badly, he is just treating him like any other squad member.

The real issue is how much of our budget are we blowing on someone who is obviously well past his sell by date?

You are joking right? That is the past. He should now get a game on his merits NOW, not what he did 7 years ago.

What next, Paul Sturrock should be cleaning Freddys boots.

Well Benyon's boots won't need cleaning ! He did nothing ...... again.

Two goals in his last 35 appearances. It's not as if he brings anything else to the game either.

Well Benyon's boots won't need cleaning ! He did nothing ...... again.

Two goals in his last 35 appearances. It's not as if he brings anything else to the game either.

As already stated yesterday, Eastwood is prone yo ding his own thing and against a higher division team like Brentford, discipline and shapes is needed and Eastwood does not have this.

I have not seen anything of Eastwood so far this season to prove that he brings anything to the game either.

What Benyon did was put himself about, he harried the Brentford defence and tried to force them into an error.

Any striker can 'put them self about'. Stick me on the pitch and I'd run around a lot. Fred is far more likely to create or score a goal than a player who has scored 4 goals since Jan 2011. Even on tues vs the gills he created a gilt edged chance for corr.

Seems Luggy doesn't want Fred or Benyon so should get rid of both if that's the case because both will be on a decent wage I imagine.

If Britt isn't fit for Tuesday, I reckon Eastwood may get a start, as I can't see Corr starting 2 games in 3 days. Also is Laird cup tied in the JPT so with no Tam, we might have to go 4-3-3 ?

I think we may see a different Eastwood next season (if he is still here), with a full proper pre-season behind him, and fully fit.

If Britt isn't fit for Tuesday, I reckon Eastwood may get a start, as I can't see Corr starting 2 games in 3 days. Also is Laird cup tied in the JPT so with no Tam, we might have to go 4-3-3 ?

I think we may see a different Eastwood next season (if he is still here), with a full proper pre-season behind him, and fully fit.

I rather fear that the days of a fully fit Eastwood are well behind us. The question is what can a semi-fit Eastwood bring to the team as opposed to others who seem to be preferred.

I just think he still has so much ability! Watch him shooting in the warm up; it's so much better than the other players! Power and direction.

I understand he is lazy, I also understand that he will get another chance, and I hope he takes it with both hands

I thought Sturrock had already commented on this and it was in the public domain that Freddy has an injury that means he can't train/play at the same intensity as others without breaking down. On that basis, Mick's point gets pretty much to the heart of it:

Mick said:
I rather fear that the days of a fully fit Eastwood are well behind us. The question is what can a semi-fit Eastwood bring to the team as opposed to others who seem to be preferred.

Unless/until Freddy overcomes the injury/issues, he's going to be limited to cameo appearances from the bench.

From what I've seen of him so far this season, the talent is still definitely there. The question mark remains around the application and how much Freddy wants to do it/can get his body to do it.

I just think he still has so much ability! Watch him shooting in the warm up; it's so much better than the other players! Power and direction.

I understand he is lazy, I also understand that he will get another chance, and I hope he takes it with both hands

Yep, he knocked Firestorm's missus out in the South Upper at the end of last season. That' so much better than the other players. It was powerful anyway.

He just can't manage it in a game though, a la Gillingham on Tuesday.

Back