• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimper Neil

Youth Team
I know there aren't many (or any) pubs close to Col Ewe's ground, so was wondering if anyone had ideas for decent pubs to stop off at on the way up the A12 (Marks Tey / Hatfield Peverel maybe)? I'm sure you can get a beer in the ground but would be nice to have a couple of pints in a proper pub before hand.

Any suggestions..?

The Dog and Pheasant is pretty close. The Bricklayers (near the station) is ok, but I've not been in either on match days so don't know what the position is re away fans etc.

Pre-drinking @ the elms ( I know not glam) then mini-bus straight to ground.

For those driving down A12 I think you will struggle with finding a place open that isn't primarily booked for lunches unless you go into some of the smaller towns/villages - Marks Tey isn't really much on offer - there is the Marks Tey Hotel but small bar and geared towards food - there is a pub one junction on from the stadium (J29) called the Ardleigh Crown but that's another place where the main focus is on food and I'd imagine would be fully booked.

If you went into town and parked at the railway station there is a bit more option - arguably the "best" pub (for ale drinkers really) is the Bricklayers but i suspect that will revert being a home fans only pub with bouncers/police on the door. The Norfolk nearby has previously been used for away fans a few years ago but now tends to be "mixed" - box standard pub with Sky Sports, pool table etc - will be packed though I'd imagine (and heavily policed but haven't heard anything about access restricted to either home or away fans).

As most of you lot will be driving (and I assume parking near the stadium) then to be honest you'd be better off parking and having a pint at the ground - there will be delays exiting the A12 and getting into most car-parks and most pubs with car-parks in surrounding areas will generally be booked up for boxing day lunches.

Is beer still sold in the ground? And is it available in both away ends?

Tommy - alcohol has been sold in both home and away areas for every game in recent times and heard nothing to suggest it won't be the same for this match.

In fairness though i doubt Col U would announce on our webiste if it had changed but perhaps this is something you guys could/should ask your end to check and publicise?

There is a meeting today about Boxing day but Matt told me he expected it to be treated like a standard home game. So there will be a band playing on the small stage behind the South stand as normal doing a set from 1.45 to around 2.30. The back doors of the South will be opened up so fans can buy drink and food before they enter the stadium itself. The concourse will be cleared and locked up from the outside by 2.30 so everyone can come through the turnstiles ready for the game. So from around 1.30 onwards you will be able to buy alcohol from the ground and either stand in the concourse watching the TV's or hang around outside chatting and listening to the band.

If you go up the A12 and come off at the turn just after the football ground there is a premier inn and table table restaurant/bar thing opposite the bmw/mini showroom at the top of Ipswich road

Back