• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubey's "Tunes from the leftfield" - 4

Pubey

After Boards of Canada last week I decided to stick to the mighty Warp Records, and dig out a bit of a classic. The word 'genius' gets bounded around a bit too much for my liking, but IMO this man is a genius. Only he could write a modern dance song that sounds like a rave in a special needs school.

also ldnfatso makes an appearance at the beginning with his homie!

So we have Aphex Twin, with Windowlicker... an 11minute visual feast, it's funny, freaky and jaw-droppingly brilliant...

enjoy

(be warned it contains a lot of swearing at the beginning)

Definately can't see where the genius is here...still he's probably made a fortune out of it.
Right i'm off to swear down the microphone for five minutes add another six minutes of a mediocre tune that i've written whilst having a dump...and hey presto we have a classic!

Definately can't see where the genius is here...still he's probably made a fortune out of it.
Right i'm off to swear down the microphone for five minutes add another six minutes of a mediocre tune that i've written whilst having a dump...and hey presto we have a classic!
Agreed, that sort of music has nothing going for it. And hardly 'leftfield', Aphex is one of the more well known electronic 'artists'.

It is not my cup of tea but that is probably because i am a 40 year old git........

I have just listed the contents of the CD holder in my car for Glasgow and if i posted it i am sure you would pi*ss your pants at it....really old git stuff

Yeah, I can't see the fuss about Aphex Twin either. Emperor's New Clothes for the Hoxton trendies.

this song is 9 years old!!

I know, but the NME and MM used to cream themselves over Aphex Twin and he's SO VERY overated.

Good videos though....

Though he does deserve nerd credit for this:

ZX Spectrum Competition
Richard claims to have produced sound on a Sinclair ZX81 (a machine with no sound hardware) at the age of 11:

"When I was 11, I won 50 pounds in a competition for writing this program that made sound on a ZX81. You couldn't make sound on a ZX81, but I played around with machine code and found some codes that retuned the TV signal so that it made this really weird noise when you turned the volume up."[49]
By displaying changing patterns of color on the monitor (in the case of the Spectrum, as with many early personal computers, the display monitor was a television), the natural hum from the cathode ray tube was modulated, producing a semblance of melody

Last edited:
Best Aphex Twin video was the one directed by Jarvis Cocker!
Can't remember the track name though from memory.

I know, but the NME and MM used to cream themselves over Aphex Twin and he's SO VERY overated.

Good videos though....

i don't think that's his fault though... he has spanned many genres and mastered them IMO, whether it's drill'n'bass, IDM or straight up rave music he is still untouchable, his ambient stuff is divine and druqks contains some of the best classical piano writing from the last 50years. i can understand that he isn't everyones cup of tea, but fair play for never going down the boring route.. i think there is something there by him to interest anyone who likes thought-provoking music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFXJw7n-fU Avril 14th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toS-QvUtbfY On (jarvis cocker video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZGIrNf71Q&feature=related (video by Chris Cunningham)

Last edited:
'flim' is his best track in my humble opinion.
Pubey i would hazard a guess that you are a big fan of 'kid a' by radiohead. just a hunch

Ah poor old Pubey - well I love this track too. It's his most accessible release to date but it transcends time and categorization in my books. Though I do think a lot of his output tends to vanish up his own **** when he gets carried away...

'flim' is his best track in my humble opinion.
Pubey i would hazard a guess that you are a big fan of 'kid a' by radiohead. just a hunch

flim is a great track.. .and yeah i'm a big Kid A fan although still believe The Bends and OKC are better

Better? That's like comparing Barcelona and Accrington Stanley!

yellowCard.jpg

Sorry I meant 1970's Brazil and Shrimperzone III Sunday Pub League after a very heavy night.

Back