• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubey's "Tunes from the leftfield" - 5

Pubey

After last weeks hit and miss effort with some classic Aphex... I've decided to go a bit more straight up with some all classic americana alt rock. This band started life as one of the key avant-garde noise acts in the 80s, before their major breakthrough in 1988 with an album which has stood the test of time and is still seen as both a classic, and a hugely influential album, especially on grunge, modern punk and alternative acts through the 90s.

The first track from this album is just a straight up pop song, it gets me cranking up the stereo and in the mood to start tearing the knees in my jeans and tippexing my converses... it was also the first single by this band to really receive airplay and a decent chart position, about 7 years into their career!

So from Daydream Nation, we have Sonic Youth with Teen Age Riot

When I started pretending I liked this sort of music (about 2006 when I was posting religiously on drownedinsound) Sonic Youth were a band I often name checked, but in reality, looking back, I like about five songs of theirs.

When I started pretending I liked this sort of music (about 2006 when I was posting religiously on drownedinsound) Sonic Youth were a band I often name checked, but in reality, looking back, I like about five songs of theirs.

i can kind of get what you're saying... i think it's easy to go on youtube or whatever and listen to their "hits", but the real joy comes from immersing yourself in their albums... i have really vivid memories of listening to them on cassettes which my uncle gave to me and literally listened to 1000times... they are a band you have to persevere with i reckon, and for all the bleak drones and noise, they suddenly just drop in a 2 1/2 min pop song just to prove that they could do it, if they wanted to!

and i would rather you liked 5 songs than none, and at least you have heard of them.. which i doubt is true for all these 14yo greebo, grunger scenesters.

Back