• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperjon

President
I would like to publicly apologise to Dan Bentley. I made comments on another thread that I now realise were ill judged and could have caused upset to Dan. The incident in question did happen, but my opinion of him as an individual clearly shouldn't be judged on that one occasion. I have had communication with him tonight that clearly demonstrates what a genuinly nice guy he is. Unfortunately things often get said on the zone, maybe sometimes blown out of proportion and then they grow into something much bigger. I have apologised to Dan for my comments and he In turn has apologised for how he reacted to the incident in question. I am aware that either friends or family of Dan post on here and I apologise to you as well. I'm not a malicious or vindictive person myself so don't wish to be thought of in that way. I made a comment at the time and now realise that I was wrong to judge Dan the way I did. Is just goes to show how out of control things can sometimes get on here.

Very well done shrimperjon. Like I said, I have always found him to be one of the best regarding fans and young fans. He normally goes out of his way. It's nice that you have settled things with Dan.
Out of interest, who contacted who over this?

Very well done shrimperjon. Like I said, I have always found him to be one of the best regarding fans and young fans. He normally goes out of his way. It's nice that you have settled things with Dan.
Out of interest, who contacted who over this?

I don't think that needs answering personally.

Well done shrimperjon, I have many dealings with the players in the course of Junior Blues' business and I have always found the current lot to be absolute gents where the JBs are concerned, with no exception.

As I said, obviously there are friends or family of Dans on here. They must have mentioned my comment to Dan and in turn he contacted me direct. I don't know who contacted him, that isn't my business. As I said we have cleared the air and my opinion has changed massively. I'm not a hypocrit and therefore felt the need to publicly apologise to him, as clearly I had misjudged Dan. Just out if interest has anyone else experienced a similar occasion. Baring in mind the criticism and slating some players take on here.

Well done Shrimperjon. It takes a big man to apologise publically in the way that you have. I guess many of us were upset over the exit from the Cup and there were many over reactions. To a certain extent it shows how much we care about the team, but we should be careful about overstepping the mark of course. Onward and upward!

Indeed well done Shrimperjon for this apology. I think we are all frustrated with the club and what's happening on the pitch at present. Hopefully it will all come good at some point!

Well done Shrimperjon. It takes a big man to apologise publically in the way that you have. I guess many of us were upset over the exit from the Cup and there were many over reactions. To a certain extent it shows how much we care about the team, but we should be careful about overstepping the mark of course. Onward and upward!

The thing is that actually my comment initially had nothing to do with Saturday. I didn't blame Dan for either goal or the defeat, I guess my mistake was to make a comment about Dan on a thread that had been started after the defeat Saturday that was questioning him and the goals conceded. That's why my comment was ill judged I guess and not appropriate to that thread. Lesson learnt.

Excellent post.
By their very nature , forums will always lead people to disagree with each other.
What some still need to learn though is to apologise or back down when they realise their comments are either wrong or misguided.
Well done.

I would like to publicly apologise to Dan Bentley. I made comments on another thread that I now realise were ill judged and could have caused upset to Dan. The incident in question did happen, but my opinion of him as an individual clearly shouldn't be judged on that one occasion. I have had communication with him tonight that clearly demonstrates what a genuinly nice guy he is. Unfortunately things often get said on the zone, maybe sometimes blown out of proportion and then they grow into something much bigger. I have apologised to Dan for my comments and he In turn has apologised for how he reacted to the incident in question. I am aware that either friends or family of Dan post on here and I apologise to you as well. I'm not a malicious or vindictive person myself so don't wish to be thought of in that way. I made a comment at the time and now realise that I was wrong to judge Dan the way I did. Is just goes to show how out of control things can sometimes get on here.

To be honest your quotes looked totally reasonable to me, you simply explained a situation as you saw it at the time. What is great is that by airing that opinion you have had an opportunity to address the issue with Dan . This has given you the opportunity to see Dan in a different light, and will have allowed Dan to see how certain actions can be interpreted by the fans. On top of that we get a 'positive' thread on SZ. looks like a win win win to me

well done

I don't think that needs answering personally.

Well done shrimperjon, I have many dealings with the players in the course of Junior Blues' business and I have always found the current lot to be absolute gents where the JBs are concerned, with no exception.

You are absolutely right, it didn't need answering, even tho he did in the end.
The reason I asked was that I wondered if Dan himself reads things on here(he's had a lot of stick on here this week, most unwarranted) or was it a connection of his. Now we know, I was just curious.

Well done shrimperjon, well said.

I like the fact that your comments bothered him that much that he actually contacted you personally to clear the air. It shows that he obviously cares a great deal about the fans and what's being said about him. Too many others would have just ignored it and not bothered. Top lad.

To be honest your quotes looked totally reasonable to me, you simply explained a situation as you saw it at the time. What is great is that by airing that opinion you have had an opportunity to address the issue with Dan . This has given you the opportunity to see Dan in a different light, and will have allowed Dan to see how certain actions can be interpreted by the fans. On top of that we get a 'positive' thread on SZ. looks like a win win win to me

well done

That may be true, but should anyone really judge a person on a one off event? Isn't it better to give people the benefit of the doubt?

Either way, it's good of shrimperjon to publicly apologise. Given the situation it was the right thing to do, but many people wouldn't.

That may be true, but should anyone really judge a person on a one off event? Isn't it better to give people the benefit of the doubt?

Either way, it's good of shrimperjon to publicly apologise. Given the situation it was the right thing to do, but many people wouldn't.

You are totally right and no i shouldnt have. The fact is i have met Dan a few times and he is a lovely guy. I posted something that maybe in hindsight i shouldnt have. I never expected it to get to the stage last night that it did. Also i am a parent and it was my son who wanted the picture/autograph and naturally he was disappointed about the incident. For that reason sometimes your mindset can change very quickly. I now as you are all aware accept that i made a bad call and wrongly misjudged Dan.

If you read what he actually wrote it wasn't a one off event- hence my comments. Shrimperjon now appears to be saying that emotions have got the better of him (fair enough) and maybe what he wrote was not accurate (thats my interpretation anyway )

If you read what he actually wrote it wasn't a one off event- hence my comments. Shrimperjon now appears to be saying that emotions have got the better of him (fair enough) and maybe what he wrote was not accurate (thats my interpretation anyway )

This is correct and why i felt the need to post this thread. The incident did happen and what i posted was correct. Some of my other comments i now realise were inaccurate and for that reason i have apologized. Sometimes on here things get stated or said in the heat of the moment, its easy to get caught up in the emotion of a situation, especially after a disappointing result. Where i was wrong was to put a slur on Dans character that had nothing to do with the thread in the first place. However when it becomes personal as clearly this did to the extent that Dan contacted me direct, i felt it right to apologise and publicly admit my mistakes.

I find DB to be one of the most genuine players to have played for SUFC in my time.

I can't recall many who seem so keen to achieve something positive with our club.

Top bloke.

His reaction after last years playoff defeat should prove that beyond question.

This really is a genuinely warming thread in an otherwise ( rightly so ) downbeat forum at the moment.
Dan Bentley is clearly thought of highly by many and although I've never met him , comes across as someone who cares about the club and fans.
I guess the experience shrimperjon had with his son was just one of those bad days we can all have.

I often collect autographs (pretty sad at my age I suppose) and in all my many years of doing this, I state quite categorically that I have not found many better bunches of players than this present squad so happy to sign for the fans and interact with them. I have to say that I was shocked to read the initial comments about Dan Bentley as he is one of the very best, always up for a chat and to sign for everyone who wants his autograph. I personally have never seen him act like (as was suggested) a "big time Charlie" and have to say I was amazed to see him described as such as on and off the pitch I feel he is nothing but a credit to Southend United.

Glad to hear that you have sorted this out Shrimperjon and fair play for your apology.

Back