• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubs

A couple of pubs but the same issue that diminished them in the same way.
White Horse, Rose Inn, Railway, all 3 were much better when they had public and saloon bars.

Not really a pub as such, but have fond memories of The Hadleigh Suite (on the site of where Wetherspoons is in Leigh now), also High Society along the seafront. Great times BITD.

Dirty Dicks,opposite Liverpool st station.
I know its still there,but bring back how it was in the 70s-80s.
It was always worth a visit coming back from a Blues away game. Bloody H&S killed the pub.Im sure anyone who went there then and now would say the same

Forgive my ignorance (due to age I suspect) but what was the difference?
In these pubs the public bar was the one to use straight from work or out with your mates, locals and regulars used them. No frills, dart board and space invader machines, mainly Male environment.
The salon bar had booths, and folks sat a lot, you used it as a couple or with your family, less swearing, quieter, a tad more gentile.

In these pubs the public bar was the one to use straight from work or out with your mates, locals and regulars used them. No frills, dart board and space invader machines, mainly Male environment.
The salon bar had booths, and folks sat a lot, you used it as a couple or with your family, less swearing, quieter, a tad more gentile.
Don't forget the public bar was cheaper as well.

the Grand not only had a Public bar (entrance in Leighton Avenue) it had an off licence next door. When they smashed the Public bar into the Saloon bar probably some time in the 1980s the dart board was lost as it was on the connecting wall. Unfortunately those days are long gone. The Grand's demise really started in the 1990s when people started falling out of love with pubs.

If there was one pub you could bring back what would it be?
For me it would be the Nelson in Prittlewell, some funny nights in there

Only went in there twice. First time before the League cup against Spurs in 1989. The second time straight after the famous 3-2 victory.

For me it would be The Bull in Hockley in the 70/80s

The old half way house on Thorpe bay seafront, on a Sunday night was great, DJ and banging tunes.

the Grand not only had a Public bar (entrance in Leighton Avenue) it had an off licence next door. When they smashed the Public bar into the Saloon bar probably some time in the 1980s the dart board was lost as it was on the connecting wall. Unfortunately those days are long gone. The Grand's demise really started in the 1990s when people started falling out of love with pubs.

Back