• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubs

The Cork and Cheese with doubt. Mainly for the Ales
However i agree with True Blue. Nelson is also very much missed.
The saloon Bar Part of the Nelson had many a celebration till close after a S.U.F.C. win.

A present day one. Miley Rochford, opening tomorrow after lockdown. Again all the Ales.
Looking forward tomorrow to Brentwood, Spooky Moon and Billericay Blonde on hand pump.

Last edited:
Silver Jubilee* in Eastwood Road on a Sunday (late afternoon / evening) was always a good craic.

* now a soul-less chain pub called Miller & Carter.

And over priced as well as soulless. Went in about a year ago and a pint of IPA, G & T and a Bacardi and coke was £18. I assumed for that price that the stylish goblet glass the IPA came in was a souvenir to take home!

Another pub of my youth of which I have very fond memories was the Paul Pry in Rayleigh (cos I'm a Rayleigh lad). Proper old style boozer with decent beer and great clientele. Least ways it was to an impressionable 18 yr old. Went there a couple of years back and it was garbage.

I always used to say a pub wasn’t a decent pub unless it had a dartboard, a jukebox (with decent tunes), a pool table, real ales and pork scratchings behind the bar. Not sure how many pubs still have all those things nowadays.

Another pub of my youth of which I have very fond memories was the Paul Pry in Rayleigh (cos I'm a Rayleigh lad). Proper old style boozer with decent beer and great clientele. Least ways it was to an impressionable 18 yr old. Went there a couple of years back and it was garbage.

With you there RHB. Always had hot sausages at the bar IIRC

With you there RHB. Always had hot sausages at the bar IIRC
Weren't they the best? One of my mates was a member of Rayleigh LTC (or his parents were) so it was a few games of Tennis followed by pints and sausages at the Paul Pry. On a Sunday it was the Paul Pry and then home for my mum's Sunday lunch. Memories!

And over priced as well as soulless. Went in about a year ago and a pint of IPA, G & T and a Bacardi and coke was £18. I assumed for that price that the stylish goblet glass the IPA came in was a souvenir to take home!

Ha! Last time we were in the Silver Jubilee (for a pub lunch a few years ago now) my wife nicked the numbered spoon they gave us (to indicate our table number).Mind you she has quite a bit of form for doing that,usually just in the UK I'm pleased to say.

• Haha
Reactions: ESG
Anyone remember the (bottom) Alex on the corner of the High Street ?
Yes, when I was at junior school, late 1960s, Porters Grange, my best mate's parents ran and lived there. It was, to a young boy, a huge building with four floors and several big meeting rooms on 1st floor. We would be allowed sometimes to sit quietly with a coke and crisps in the back bar. I can't remember the boys name as they moved on from the area.
In late 70s I used to work at Tesco's in York Road and would drink in there at odd lunchtimes and after work, lots of shop workers did and we organised football games against some of the bigger shops such as Sainsbury and M and S from there. It was mobbed on Christmas Eve.

A few years ago I worked as tree surgeon, messy, sweaty, wet, muddy hard graft, especially in winter AND it built up a thirst. We would pop into Horse and Groom, after work, (it got too dark to work, 4pm ish). The pub had good fire and was at that time quiet, reasonable beer and crisps. They didn't seem to mind smelly wet us then, on their rough hard floor BUT there aren't many pubs around these days that would welcome manual workers, such as we were then , now. Can you imagine the welcome we would get at The Angel or the above mentioned Silver Jubilee or newly pushed Bull?

Weren't they the best? One of my mates was a member of Rayleigh LTC (or his parents were) so it was a few games of Tennis followed by pints and sausages at the Paul Pry. On a Sunday it was the Paul Pry and then home for my mum's Sunday lunch. Memories!

They were. Always worth stopping for a pint as they opened on the way home in the old days before all day drinking

A few years ago I worked as tree surgeon, messy, sweaty, wet, muddy hard graft, especially in winter AND it built up a thirst. We would pop into Horse and Groom, after work, (it got too dark to work, 4pm ish). The pub had good fire and was at that time quiet, reasonable beer and crisps. They didn't seem to mind smelly wet us then, on their rough hard floor BUT there aren't many pubs around these days that would welcome manual workers, such as we were then , now. Can you imagine the welcome we would get at The Angel or the above mentioned Silver Jubilee or newly pushed Bull?

All Pubs in Rochford are still like that. Long may it continue!!!

Another honourable mention for the Cork & Cheese from my youth drinking days!

But for me it has to be The Esplanade back when they had 'The Cage' section adjoined. Many a fantastic night spent in there after watching the Blues home and away each week with the DJ and assorted mayhem. A few too many fights but back then it all seemed quite fun.

Will always remember that they would only serve drinks in a flimsy plastic glass due to the regular punch ups but they would still hand over a Newcastle Brown Ale bottle if you bought one of those. I have actually witnessed people go and buy one at the bar just to hit someone over the head with it.

.......ah the good old days!

Back