• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pullman you berk!

It is absolutely ludicrious and insulting that respected authors are compared with scum like Ian Huntley and have to undergo a CRB check when they're standing in front of a school of 300 pupils giving a reading or talk.

Typical media frenzy that's turned every stranger into a possible paedophile. As a man who loves Chris Morris, do you not remember the paedo-scare episode of Brasseye?

Poor show Jon.

It is absolutely ludicrious and insulting that respected authors are compared with scum like Ian Huntley and have to undergo a CRB check when they're standing in front of a school of 300 pupils giving a reading or talk.

Typical media frenzy that's turned every stranger into a possible paedophile. As a man who loves Chris Morris, do you not remember the paedo-scare episode of Brasseye?

Poor show Jon.

so if you're a 'respected author' then you're never a paedo... it's only caretakers who can be?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1461015/Sex-abuse-author-gets-30-months.html

I';ve been CRB checked - purely because my missus is a registered childminder (PM me for rates, etc). Nothing to fear and it's a bit of a fuss about nothing.

I';ve been CRB checked - purely because my missus is a registered childminder (PM me for rates, etc). Nothing to fear and it's a bit of a fuss about nothing.

exactly, it's a minor inconvenience that many people have to go through to help ensure children are protected.

There might not be paedo's hiding under the desks in every school, but they are around, and so having a basic check for previous convictions seems a sensible way of checking people who regularly go into schools or have contact with children.

Seems very odd to me that everybody is now guilty before charged.. what next- oh I know,if your sons or daughters constantly bring the same friends around to play at your house you will have to undergo a CRB check..or better still if you have no children but your next door neighbour does...Heaven forbid.

The worlds gone mad.

Seems very odd to me that everybody is now guilty before charged.. what next- oh I know,if your sons or daughters constantly bring the same friends around to play at your house you will have to undergo a CRB check..or better still if you have no children but your next door neighbour does...Heaven forbid.

The worlds gone mad.

What about the CRB check makes you guilty before charged? It's a way of making sure that people who have been found guilty before aren't heading into schools... innocent people have nothing to worry about. A minor inconvenience for the 99% (statistic made up) who get checked and don't have anything to hide... but I'd argue well worth the cost if it stops a child being abused.

The worlds gone mad.

The voice of reason.

what have you got to hide?

Have you read Orwell's 1984?

I think they make a very valid point - why is it that we're getting to the stage where only the State can tell us whether someone is OK or not? What happened to normal social interaction?

I think they have a very valid point, personally.

I'd very much doubt it

And thats the point MK is making its circumstance and environment . The aurthors come in to talk to tens hundreds or thousands of kids , its a controlled enviroment already .

Do you think the singing artists or performers require it for public concerts when their audiences are primarily children ?

Have you read Orwell's 1984?

I think they make a very valid point - why is it that we're getting to the stage where only the State can tell us whether someone is OK or not? What happened to normal social interaction?

I think they have a very valid point, personally.

I don't. Why should they get special attention, because they're famous?

Everyone involved with children (even me, even though I'm only on the periphery) has to get it done. Why should they feel aggrieved? Maybe it's not failsafe, but it's the best option we have, and personally, having children at school I feel safer knowing they're checked.

Everyone involved with children (even me, even though I'm only on the periphery) has to get it done. Why should they feel aggrieved? Maybe it's not failsafe, but it's the best option we have, and personally, having children at school I feel safer knowing they're checked.

Well at least someone else agrees with me.

I wont say its their fame just the fact that they are passing through . The potential for some one seeing the same individual day in day out on personal terms is far greater for abuse then some one visiting once in a blue moon and then for about an hour ?

I wont say its their fame just the fact that they are passing through . The potential for some one seeing the same individual day in day out on personal terms is far greater for abuse then some one visiting once in a blue moon and then for about an hour ?

I agree... however unfortunately there are cases of children being abused by people who have very little actual contact with children.

The CRB might be crude, slow, expensive and is cast over a wide amount of people... however I fail to see what the better alternative is to ensure that children are protected?

How can we rely on social interaction? Lynch mobs and address splashed across the News of the World... (that sounds more Brass Eye than CRB checks).

this has been completely misreported as well- the authors and other such people will only have to register if they visit a school or schools on a regular basis (once a month or more on a regular basis, or 3 times in a specific 30-day period), and will only have to pay the fee if they're being paid for the visits- volunteers can register for free.

current children's laureate and various others in the papers today accusing the likes of Pullman of pomposity, so clearly not a unanimous position on this in the literary camp.

Make that two. I'm happy to have measures like this in place which could prevent the horrendous possibility of child abuse. I'm in favour of a vetting system for people who want to have children, but that's probably just me.

I have had my completed my disclosure Scotland because I sometimes help my wife out who runs a Girls Brigade company in Aberdeen.

As Jon said in a previous post, if you have nothing to hide why make such an issue out of it.

Didn’t Ian Huntley have involvement with the School that Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman went to? Would the outcome have been different had Ian Huntley been CRB checked?

Make that two. I'm happy to have measures like this in place which could prevent the horrendous possibility of child abuse. I'm in favour of a vetting system for people who want to have children, but that's probably just me.

I'm partially responsible for implementing the new system. not sure whether that makes you feel better or worse...

Back