• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

To all those out there Computer Experts I need some guidance as I am looking to buy a new home pc

Basically my budget is 1100-1200gbp and the spec I want is to include:
P4 3.06Gz or higher (AMD - dont run as fast as P4 ?)
80GB HDD
1024MB RAM
128MB NVIDIA Graphics
TV Out
TFT Monitor
CD-Rw

Now I want this machine to be capable of running SQL Server 7.0 and Visual Studios.Net

I have spied these 2 machines
Evesham Evolution Blue Beast
Aries 6000 Ultra

And would like any feedback on anyone who has dealt with Evesham or Aries or even suggest an alternative.

Also does anyone know if I can get any decent trade in or sold for parts my old pc:
specs - 1000 megahertz AMD Athlon
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 7ZMMP 1.0
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
40 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R1002 [CD-ROM drive]
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")
256 Megabytes Installed Memory

If you go to dell.co.uk, you can create a PC to your own spec, and they give you a quote, this is what I did.

If you want to save even more money build your own PC.

That's what I did.

I made the keyboard out of a few egg boxes, a flat screen monitor out of a cornflakes box with a picture from the glossy magazine glued on the front and a tower unit from a cardboard box with a breeze block inside.

I had to get rid of it though when it started telling me to burn things.

I have used Evesham a few times for friends, family, and myself. I have no complaints with Evesham and are happy to recommend them.

Dell are ok but you do end up paying for the badge.

And with regards to which Processor you should go for I suggest visiting this site as they do a lot of testing and do offer impartial advice. Tom's Hardware Guide

I think I will end up with the Evesham as they promis 3 day delivery which is pretty important but it means that I will have to buy the extra 512 MB RAM and install myself !!!!
Suppose it is easy to do and cheaper ?
Does anyone know how easy it is and anywhere cheap to purchase from.......

Whats Aries like ? i was looking at them earlier and they look impressive with a good warrenty too.

FM.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Feb. 11 2004,22:03)]Whats Aries like ? i was looking at them earlier and they look impressive with a good warrenty too.

FM.
Took ages to get through over the phone to 'em - and would take 10-14 business days for delivery (no brainer for me personally as need system asap plus I am going on holiday at the end of this month).
Systems look good but I have been trying to find out about their reputation.

( I have now realised that I need a TV-IN to watch the TV via the pc !!)

Try Scan or Mesh for custom built and resonably priced.

As for building yourself , only really recommended if you know what your looking for in terms of companats etc who makes what !

Or go for Dell as the easy option
biggrin.gif
(wuss)

I bought an Evesham for my son 2 years ago and we have only had one problem with it in the two years and that was sorted out in a day, he uses it all the time for his work in 6th form and is on it every night( till 3am in the Fu---ng morning)
he really does give it a good bashing,,,,,,,,,,

He is also on the computer alot
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rayleigh_Blue @ Feb. 11 2004,21:39)]Suppose it is easy to do and cheaper ?
It's just a case of plugging it in. The hardest thing is matching the correct type of RAM up with your motherboard but after that you're laughing.

I normally use Insight or DABS for my hardware.

Dave

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rayleigh_Blue @ Feb. 11 2004,21:39)]I think I will end up with the Evesham as they promis 3 day delivery which is pretty important but it means that I will have to buy the extra 512 MB RAM and install myself !!!!
Suppose it is easy to do and cheaper ?
Does anyone know how easy it is and anywhere cheap to purchase from.......
Would you invalidate the warranty by installing new memory?

You could try these people

http://www.autdirect.co.uk/

They are based in Shoebury on the industrial estate behind Camping and General

Address & Showroom:.......................AUT House, Towerfield Close, Shoeburyness, Essex, SS3 9QP
Sales Line:..................................01702-382740
Fax Line:.......................................01702-382749
Phone Lines open:................9am to 5pm Monday to Friday
Trade Counter open:................Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm, Saturday 9am to 3pm

I always get my PC bits there as they are cheaper than the likes of Insight, Dabs etc

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The 4th man @ Feb. 11 2004,23:24)]Or go for Dell as the easy option
biggrin.gif
(wuss)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dell are ok but you do end up paying for the badge.

Hey, I know feck all about computers, but have been more than happy with the Dell, no problems, it does everything I want it to do and it arrived quickly at what i didn't think was too bad a price
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Problem I am having is that everywhere is really busy
Carrera-SSC who do a good ultimate pro machine arent offering their fast track service and upto 28 days delivery

MESH - are just protesting that 3 weeks is their best

Aries - wont answer the phone !!

Evesham - sound promising - next week.

I will look at the one in Shoebury - thanks Andu

[b said:
Quote[/b] (new bloke @ Feb. 12 2004,07:47)]Ihe uses it all the time for his work in 6th form and is on it every night
He must be quite far into CM 03-04 by now then!

There both good spec machines however on both counts I think you're being ripped off for the "pretty" look of the machine and the flat screen monitor and sound system.

I'd wager a bet you could get the same set-up from a local shop cheaper (or I'd build it myself).

You can actually get a quite good machine from Tesco's when they have them in, think they might have some now down Pitsea. There up to date and they dont cost that much.

Agree with Scriv tho, that you can build a pretty good machine yourself as i have a machine at home that's excellent that a friend made for me.....

Back